U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you think retired grandparents(with good health status) should help to babysitting their grandchi
yes 23 40.35%
no 34 59.65%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM

149 posts, read 475,784 times
Default Do you think grandparents should help to babysitting their grandchildren?

When their grown-up children are busy with working ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:45 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,436,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
Sure, if they are able and want to.

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:58 AM

3,446 posts, read 4,289,932 times
Only if they want to...and on their schedule, not yours! They have a life of their own, which may not include babysitting and daycare services for you. They certainly don't owe you this...

Your poll question doesn't include enough possible answers to make it accurate.

Last edited by Kootr; 12-24-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Unread 12-24-2008, 11:02 AM

152 posts, read 337,135 times
I agree with you Kootr. I will be retiring close to one of our children and I already told him that we can do it every once in a while and not as an obligation. We have our live and our responsibilities; taking care of young children is no longer ours. We will do it gladly on ocassions but not on a routine basis. Agree with your assessment of the poll questions.

Unread 12-26-2008, 04:00 PM

189 posts, read 434,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rferd View Post
I agree with you Kootr. I will be retiring close to one of our children and I already told him that we can do it every once in a while and not as an obligation. We have our live and our responsibilities; taking care of young children is no longer ours. We will do it gladly on ocassions but not on a routine basis. Agree with your assessment of the poll questions.
I have no children in my life, but most of my friends do. Some of them are absolute slaves to this babysitting stuff -- and it's a darned shame. After raising their kids and working 30 or 40 years, they deserve to enjoy life. I lived in an active retirement community for two years, and most of the people who had moved there from another state said they wanted no part of babysitting grandkids which was one reason they moved far from them; they did, however, welcome them occasionally as visitors.

I do not respect people who cannot say "no" to their grown kids.

Unread 12-26-2008, 04:41 PM

15,268 posts, read 19,539,493 times
I think that that should be up to the grandparents in question. They've already raised their children; said children shouldn't expect their own parents to raise their children, as well.

That being said, I'd love to babysit my grandchildren when they come along. But I wouldn't love to be expected to babysit them while their parents are working as a matter of course.

Unread 12-26-2008, 04:50 PM

9,161 posts, read 4,154,393 times
It should be up to them, if they want to, cool, if not it's cool too

Unread 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM

7,602 posts, read 5,830,601 times
I don't have grandkids yet, but I never asked my parents to watch my kids. They worked hard to be able to retire so they could do the things they'd always dreamed of doing. When they invited my kids to go somewhere with them, or to spend a week in the summer or whatever, I let my kids go. But I never asked my parents to take them.

And I would never dream of asking them to babysit while I worked. I figured it was our responsibility to either make sure one of us could stay home with the kids, or to pay for day care while we worked. Why should the grandparents become the designated babysitter? You should have a plan before you have kids, not have them and then try to figure out who is going to take care of them while you're working.

I have just finished (almost) raising my kids. Now my parents aren't in very good health and I'm looking at taking care of them. I sure hope once I'm finished with that, my kids aren't expecting me to be my grandkids' babysitter while they work. Someday I'd like to retire and be able to do things I want to do before I'm too old.

Unread 12-26-2008, 05:11 PM

89 posts, read 251,878 times
Quote:
Sure, if they get paid for it.

Unread 12-26-2008, 05:29 PM

14,428 posts, read 14,862,325 times
Quote:
No. Sure if they want to, but nobody should feel obligated to care for a child that is not their own. They did not make the choice so they should not have the responsibility for the child's care and welfare.

If the parents cannot care for the child themselves they need to make the necessary arrangements to have it cared for in their absence. There is nothing automatic about it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement