U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2009, 11:49 AM

271 posts, read 487,167 times

Advertisements

This may sound like a silly question but being new to SS I've wondered if it makes a difference which state you live in as far as benefits and plans available? Is Texas the same as California as far as plans available or anything regarding SS? I guess what I'm trying to ask is can I move wherever I want and everything stays the same? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:47 PM

89 posts, read 302,847 times
Social Security is a Federal program, and benefits are the same in every state.

However, some eligibility requirements, such as relationship for spouse's benefits, are based on State laws, which do vary.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:45 PM

2,173 posts, read 5,021,848 times
Regular Social Security, with the amount you get based on work credits, is the same no matter where you live. Medicare plans are based on area/city and may vary drastically by state. Original Medicare is good everywhere, but which the Medicare Advantage programs are available, which give you a lot more coverage, vary dramatically by area. You can plug the zip code of an area into the Medicare website to find what's available.
SSI, a Social Security program that's based on need and is for people who don't have enough work credits to qualify for regular Social Security, varies by state. This is often used by spouses who didn't work outside the home since it may be more than the spouse benefit. That program usually includes Medicaid coverage, not Medicare.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 PM

3,701 posts, read 6,035,003 times
One other thing varies from state to state, and that is the mandatory prescription thing. Whichever program you choose to enroll in, the fees will vary from state to state. When I moved from one state to another, my costs went down by 2/3 on the same plan from the same insurer.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 AM

177 posts, read 322,163 times
Default Social Security - State Taxes

Some states don't tax social security and others do.

I'm not sure which do tax - I know Massachusetts doesn't but there are other states that don't tax as well.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 PM

271 posts, read 487,167 times
Thanks to everyone, the prescription thing and taxes were what I was mostly interested in and now it looks as if I need to get busy with some research.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 PM

4,331 posts, read 6,584,729 times
There are 15 states that tax Social Security. I don't know the list of them other than Rhode Island.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 AM

4,629 posts, read 6,265,176 times
Here you go. This breaks tax brackets down by states. I don't know how up to date it is, but it will give you an excellent idea of what to look forward to.

Taxes by State

If one lives in Oregon or Washington, there is a government sponsored program for prescription drugs that is run through ODS. It offers large discounts on most prescription meds (there are no income requirements, I understand).

Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 PM

78 posts, read 273,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
Some states don't tax social security and others do.

I'm not sure which do tax - I know Massachusetts doesn't but there are other states that don't tax as well.
Mississippi does not tax Social Security income nor any other retirement income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement