Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 AM

327 posts, read 526,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Larger realty companies often have very nice relo packages to mail to you. I got one from the Allen Tate Co. in Charlotte that was amazing.
Is this still the case these days? Don't you have to be using the services of one of their realtors to get one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia561 View Post
I keep reading advice that it's best to visit the towns, preferably several times, before actually making a decision on where to retire. My question is what do you actually do during these visits?

Do we contact a realtor and have them show us around? I don't want to waste anyone's time, as we won't be moving for a few years yet.

Should we contact the local Chamber of Commerce? What would we ask?

I can't see just aimlessly driving around, and we're both a little on the shy side, so walking up to strangers and asking questions is out.

What should we be doing during these research trips? None of the books or magazines I've read say anything beyond "be sure to visit the area first", so I'm a little clueless.

We've narrowed the states down to NC, TN, and KY, and have general areas, but now what?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Most of the work is done before you go so you can eliminate places that aren't right for you so that you can spend more time in the towns that are right for you. See #8 below:

Some of these items may not apply to retirees looking to move to big cities.

How to Research Retirement Relocation

The rest of the post is here:

How to Research Retirement Relocation 2012

8. When you visit, don't visit like a tourist, visit like a potential future resident. Visit the supermarkets and clothing stores. Do they have what you like (products, brands)? If you are religious, attend a service. If you like to golf, play while you are visiting. When you are in your hotel room, watch the local nightly news show. If you can attend a local event do it and take a look at the people. Do they look/act like your type of people? You know, if you are all duded up in designer fashions with sprayed hair and make-up, hoping for wine and cheese and an orchestra, and you get there and there are a lot of plain people in jeans drinking beer and listening to bluegrass (or vice versa), then you might not be in the town that's right for you. If it's an outdoor event and groups have their booths are you looking for the boy/girl scouts, NRA, Disabled Veterans, some ATV sales booth and corndogs, but if the booths are Stop The Nukes, $2000 Antiques, Save the Squids, frozen yogurt and the local yacht dealer (or vice versa), it might be a clue that the place isn’t right for you. If you like to garden, visit the local nursery and look around. If you like to read, visit the library and bookstores. Do they have the variety of the type of books you like? Are the books new enough to suit you? Buy a street map at the local gas station convenience store and mark it with your observations while you are driving around. (example: like the run down part of town). Bring a camera.

Last edited by LauraC; 06-04-2013 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: duplicate

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Is this still the case these days? Don't you have to be using the services of one of their realtors to get one?
We got some relocation packages with great maps from a Realtor in New Bern NC. They were not asking for any commitment, but that was 5 years ago.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM

327 posts, read 526,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The over-aged hippies sounds like Asheville, NC.
That was my guess, too, but I wanted to confirm. ;-)

On forum or back-channel is fine, LauraC...

Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Also, once you've done your research, do talk with ordinary people, there. I never realized how talkative and informative we Americans can be until I started to take my talkative danish wife to the US. She picks up people wherever she goes and surprises me with the life-style/local attitude information she gleans from her conversations with strangers in places, large and small, I am well acquainted with.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Also, once you've done your research, do talk with ordinary people, there. I never realized how talkative and informative we Americans can be until I started to take my talkative danish wife to the US. She picks up people wherever she goes and surprises me with the life-style/local attitude information she gleans from her conversations with strangers in places, large and small, I am well acquainted with.
I totally agree. For the last few years we've been making little trips to a variety of towns we were considering, and more often than not it was the little conversations we had with people that decided whether or not we were really interested in a town. Sometimes they left a good impression--sometimes they made us decide certain towns we'ren't interesting after all--all times we learned a lot of useful things.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:54 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
LauraC makes some great suggestions.

I do think that husband and wife see things a little differently. We were almost set to move to one place, looked at property, made a couple visits and I figured we were on the same page. Driving home she said she didn't want to live there after seeing it as a fulltime home. I could see her point -- it was a nice place to visit (and I still do) but too touristy.

I eventually moved 1000 miles from "home". One thing that I didn't realize until I moved was that living within a few miles of an interchange of two major cross-country interstate highways means you will probably have friends and relatives visiting. That's great but not something I thought about.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:56 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Cruising a town enables you to see the neighborhoods with the cars on the lawn with no wheels as well as more desirable areas. We once looked at some very attractive houses, but when we cruised the neighborhood it was "no way".

You want to visit when the weather will be at its worst hot/cold.

Look at homes on Zillow and realtor.com. They have lots of good pictures.

Consider 55+ communities, they are NOT all the same. Active communities are different from assisted living and continuing care. Remember, never again will you be as young as you are right now. Stairs become a dirty word as you age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement