Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 03:35 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I'm really getting into this retirement chapter of my life. Tomorrow (Saturday) I'm ushering at the Philharmonic show, Sunday it's the ballet and Monday it's the Jeff Beck concert. Of course I won't usher at every show but 2 or 3 times a week won't hurt.
That sounds like a lot of fun njmike! I hope you enjoy yourself. I'm assuming these are evening/night time concerts? Maybe after I retire I'll actually be able to stay up after 9 or 10 at night. Since I now get up at 5:30 a.m., I'm pretty much dead by 9 o'clock. And weekends aren't much different, because I'm so used to that schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 04:13 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
That sounds like a lot of fun njmike! I hope you enjoy yourself. I'm assuming these are evening/night time concerts? Maybe after I retire I'll actually be able to stay up after 9 or 10 at night. Since I now get up at 5:30 a.m., I'm pretty much dead by 9 o'clock. And weekends aren't much different, because I'm so used to that schedule.
Janet, Sounds like the schedule I used to have.

The concerts vary in starting time. Most are at night but there are afternoon performances also. The concerts also vary from night to night so that something is always going on during the week.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 AM

I hate to sound whiney, but I've got 2 more weeks of work and the closer it gets, the harder it gets. Over the last few years I haven't exactly felt like bouncing out of bed to go to work in the morning, but now it is sheer torture! I literally have to drag myself in there each day, and I seem to just watch the clock slowly tick the minutes away. I feel like I'm living Groundhog Day - reliving the same day over and over again and never getting any closer to the end. Arghhhh!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I hate to sound whiney, but I've got 2 more weeks of work and the closer it gets, the harder it gets. Over the last few years I haven't exactly felt like bouncing out of bed to go to work in the morning, but now it is sheer torture! I literally have to drag myself in there each day, and I seem to just watch the clock slowly tick the minutes away. I feel like I'm living Groundhog Day - reliving the same day over and over again and never getting any closer to the end. Arghhhh!
Janet, This sounds very familiar. I was the same way the last month of work. I hated getting up, I hated going to work, I hated work, I couldn't wait until it was time to leave, etc. I even tried going part time for the last 2 weeks of work but that didn't help any. What you're feeling is normal.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:01 PM

70 posts, read 263,202 times
Janet,
I feel your pain too. It seems the days are endless. I talk to myself in the middle of class-get me out of this place!
13 days for you! And 68 for me(till the end of the school year). I think when it's over I'll look back and think how fast the school year went by.
What's the first thing you'll do on your first day of retirement?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
Janet,
I feel your pain too. It seems the days are endless. I talk to myself in the middle of class-get me out of this place!
13 days for you! And 68 for me(till the end of the school year). I think when it's over I'll look back and think how fast the school year went by.
What's the first thing you'll do on your first day of retirement?
Gosh, I don't know! My last work day is a Friday, so I don't know if it will really hit me right away. I'm used to being off on the weekends. Maybe by Sunday, when I realize I don't have to do laundry, or otherwise get ready for Monday morning. I won't have to worry about getting to bed early enough so I can get up at 5:30 a.m. And I won't have that nagging, depressing feeling that seems to build as the hours pass, realizing I have to go to work in the morning. Then, I can sleep in on Monday (although I suspect it will take some time to get used to staying up late and sleeping in; when I take vacations I find it difficult to sleep past 6:30 or 7:00 a.m.). And realizing I have the rest of my life without having a schedule to stick to, or deadlines to make, or being buried in paperwork, or having to answer phone messages or emails...Heaven!!

What about you? Do you have your first day of freedom planned out?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 PM

Tonight was my first night volunteering at the Cultural Center. This just might be a new career. I won't have to get paid, all I have to do is sign up to usher at any show I want and I get to see the show FREE. Can't beat that.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:18 PM

Attire for the MALE ushers at the ballet today: Updated to my profile picture.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Attire for the MALE ushers at the ballet today: Updated to my profile picture.
LOL You can't be serious.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
LOL You can't be serious.
Someone, jokingly, asked if we had to wear tutus so when I found the picture I couldn't resist posting the pic to get back at the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement