Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 04:30 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,117,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
Today I made one of my retirement goals- I PAID OFF MY MORTGAGE!!!!!! I'm doing the happy dance. About 5 years ago I decided that if I wanted to retire after 30 years of teaching I would have to be mortgage free. I've really led a frugal life the past 5+ years so I could reach my goal and I did it! I paid off a 30 year mortgage in 16 years.
NJMike- I don't have any toys and I can retire and afford it(I think).
Now retirement and FUN seem a little closer.
Janet- 6 days left. How are you feeling? Does retirement seem real?
you have the right idea and attitude..retired a year already and love it!...
my only regret is I couldn't have left sooner..all the best to you..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 05:15 PM

8,805 posts, read 21,224,781 times
Today I made one of my retirement goals- I PAID OFF MY MORTGAGE!!!!!!

I did the same thing, bluecrab. No vacations, no splurges , a used car ..... but, I do not have a mortgage. And, can you imagine : that "friend" that I mentioned said that I was selfish to do that when others still have to pay their homes off.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-09-2009, 05:20 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,333,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

I did the same thing, bluecrab. No vacations, no splurges , a used car ..... but, I do not have a mortgage. And, can you imagine : that "friend" that I mentioned said that I was selfish to do that when others still have to pay their homes off.
Nancy, Good for you. You're not selfish, just smart.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:23 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,993,901 times
Quote:

Nancy - That's just jealously speaking (your "friends" comment). I'm close - $39,000 left - not close enough though.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,239,448 times
Quote:

I have to say - that doesn't sound like much of a friend. What does your foresight have to do with anyone else's mortgage payment?

I did too - 2 years ago. I've been banking the old mortgage payment for close to 2 years which is great. I worked on mine over about 15 years. My house needs some remodeling and that will pay for that when I do it next year.

Congrats bluecrab!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:

selfish? why? because you made the right choices..sacrificed and worked hard?
bravo to you...

Old 04-09-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I have to say - that doesn't sound like much of a friend. What does your foresight have to do with anyone else's mortgage payment?

I did too - 2 years ago. I've been banking the old mortgage payment for close to 2 years which is great. I worked on mine over about 15 years. My house needs some remodeling and that will pay for that when I do it next year.

Congrats bluecrab!
well,what I noticed with some "friends" they had envy when I retired...because they have to work for a long ,long time..but these are the choices we make in life....alot of hard work and sacrifice...they should have been a civil servant like me....

Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 PM

I've run into some of the same type people I used to work with. They become sarcastic when they find out I'm retired. The thing is they're not the ones who have worked 8 to 12 hours a night, 7 nights a week for months on end.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:50 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,148,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Law 08 View Post
well,what I noticed with some "friends" they had envy when I retired...because they have to work for a long ,long time..but these are the choices we make in life....alot of hard work and sacrifice...they should have been a civil servant like me....
This is true. A lot of my co-workers are saying that they wish they could be in my position and could retire. The fact is, they could...if they hadn't over-extended themselves with big houses and expensive cars, etc. I still live in the same little rowhouse I bought after my divorce 16 years ago. I drive a 9 year old Ford Focus - not exactly a status car - and except for the fact that I like to travel, I live pretty simply. The only adjustment I'll have to make is to cut back on the vacations. But that's fine, because once I'm retired, I won't have that need to get away from it all. There won't be much to get away from!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
This is true. A lot of my co-workers are saying that they wish they could be in my position and could retire. The fact is, they could...if they hadn't over-extended themselves with big houses and expensive cars, etc. I still live in the same little rowhouse I bought after my divorce 16 years ago. I drive a 9 year old Ford Focus - not exactly a status car - and except for the fact that I like to travel, I live pretty simply. The only adjustment I'll have to make is to cut back on the vacations. But that's fine, because once I'm retired, I won't have that need to get away from it all. There won't be much to get away from!
Janet, There are a lot of "day" trips so you don't have to stop traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement