Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 08:59 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,145,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
Congrats Janet, you made it! I still have the rest of the year and time just seems to be standing still right now. But I know I will be emotional when it comes clearing out my office and saying goodbye to folks I see everyday, I can understand what you are saying.....just remember your friends here on CD will be here everyday for you!
I know how you feel! I only had about 8 weeks from the time I actually gave notice until my last day, and the time seemed to just drag by. It must seem like forever to you.

I felt great today. I think some people were a little surprised, or maybe even disappointed that I wasn't a little teary about leaving today. I'm not really sure why I wasn't, other than maybe it just reinforced how comfortable I am with my decision. I reassured those of my coworkers who were a little emotional that they needed to cheer up - after all I wasn't dying or anything, and I would definitely see them again. I will - both my significant other and my son work for the same agency, and I have a lot of friends there that I see socially outside of work. We will still have that connection.

It's also great to have the connection with everyone on City-Data. It's wonderful to have this kind of support from so many others in similar circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,234,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I know how you feel! I only had about 8 weeks from the time I actually gave notice until my last day, and the time seemed to just drag by. It must seem like forever to you.

I felt great today. I think some people were a little surprised, or maybe even disappointed that I wasn't a little teary about leaving today. I'm not really sure why I wasn't, other than maybe it just reinforced how comfortable I am with my decision. I reassured those of my coworkers who were a little emotional that they needed to cheer up - after all I wasn't dying or anything, and I would definitely see them again. I will - both my significant other and my son work for the same agency, and I have a lot of friends there that I see socially outside of work. We will still have that connection.

It's also great to have the connection with everyone on City-Data. It's wonderful to have this kind of support from so many others in similar circumstances.
TA DA! And your new life begins!
Thanks for sharing the changes with us. Keep us posted on your adjustment to your new life too. Congratulations, you made it!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:19 AM

384 posts, read 987,420 times
bucfan - I too have had an unexpected project that is consuming my last months. I've been loving it because it is fun to be engaged and use my skills again... and the days fly by. Some days, however, I find myself thinking that in two short months it won't matter how hard I worked or how good my product was. I also think about the fact that this may be the last time I am so engaged or that I use these particular skills.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,262,507 times
Yes, I'm taking this one on as a challenge as you have.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,330,423 times
For those retiring this year, I'm having more fun now that I'm retired than when I was working. I've been volunteering at the local cultural center and they offer a lot more than just ballet and broadway plays.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,145,691 times
I'm starting my second week of being retired, and I'm just getting used to the fact that my time is my own. I still find myself checking work email (they haven't gotten around to cutting my access yet) - old habits die hard. But I feel a huge sense of relief that I don't have to answer those messages anymore. I think weaning myself away from the work stress will be a gradual process, but so far, so good.

Right now I'm trying to decide what health benefits provider to switch to. The insurance I've had for the past 20 plus years has been dropped as an option, and I'm aggravated by that. I'll have to switch to all new doctors. But this has nothing to do with me being retired as the change affects both current employees as well as retirees.

I think I may get to the point where I'll look into some volunteer work like njmike, or maybe take a class or two. But right now, I'm enjoying my leisure time. I smile to myself each time I realize that it's now my lifestyle, and not just a vacation.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,330,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I'm starting my second week of being retired, and I'm just getting used to the fact that my time is my own. I still find myself checking work email (they haven't gotten around to cutting my access yet) - old habits die hard. But I feel a huge sense of relief that I don't have to answer those messages anymore. I think weaning myself away from the work stress will be a gradual process, but so far, so good.

Right now I'm trying to decide what health benefits provider to switch to. The insurance I've had for the past 20 plus years has been dropped as an option, and I'm aggravated by that. I'll have to switch to all new doctors. But this has nothing to do with me being retired as the change affects both current employees as well as retirees.

I think I may get to the point where I'll look into some volunteer work like njmike, or maybe take a class or two. But right now, I'm enjoying my leisure time. I smile to myself each time I realize that it's now my lifestyle, and not just a vacation.
Great feeling, isn't it?

I found COBRA to be quite expensive, more than the "normal" providers cost.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 AM

152 posts, read 615,542 times
Health insurance after retirement is tough even when one can get Medicare. If you do not, and reading between the lines on your message, you do not, is even tougher. Cobra is expensive. Some organizations give you reduced-cost options; look into that. I will be retiring in 32 calendar days and the only option I get from the company I work for is not very good and offers much less than the one I have now. My situation, however, is different than yours in that I qualify for Medicare. My health costs will be higher in retirement but that is the way it goes.

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,262,507 times
I have 62 days left. I think I'll be less uptight, more mellow and "happy-go-lucky" once the day arrives. Look forward to execising on a regular basis, reading books, golfing, traveling. As I'm only 46, will have to get ready for the questions about, "when are you going back to work" from family/friends. When you retire from the military, I guess you're expected to start of second career.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,935,711 times
Actually my COBRA is less expensive then if I went private. But I'm good till Oct then I have to go on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement