Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernatheart View Post
Less than two months! It is becoming more of a reality for me. Very close, very close -- could I be saying this -- a little too close for comfort. I have been anxiously awaiting this time for more than ten years. I have been marking off my calenday daily for a year. It is all consuming and all I can think or talk about -- to the extent I can see my co-workers cringing when they see me. But now I am breaking out in hives daily.

I signed up for SS and Medicare -- hives. I put in my pension application -- hives. I submitted my resignation -- hives. I am a walking oxymoron!

Could it be that I am facing too many changes in my life? Retiring, leaving my home state of 65 years, leaving my family and moving to a new home in Alabama. Whatever it is -- scratch, scratch, scratch -- it is overwhelming.
I'm taking a retirement class this week (final checkoffs this time ). They said retiring is #10 on the list of life stresses. A big change means lots of stress. Even if that change is a good change, it is still very stressful. Moving is also high on the list of life stresses. You have 3 really big changes all at once so, maybe it is too much all at once and you should focus a little on the de-stressers.

2/3's of the way thru the seminar and it is more and more evident that I am so ready!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 06:21 AM

ID = tesaje, Retiring 01/01/10 but last day is 12/31/09, Presently in MD but eventually in OR/WA?

"2009 Retirees"

I'm taking my last retirement seminar to make sure everything, including my head and emotions are ready. So far, really good speakers, really good information, and especially, I am so ready in every way! Just a few refinements to my plans - no show stoppers found.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:50 AM

33 posts, read 93,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I'm taking a retirement class this week (final checkoffs this time ). They said retiring is #10 on the list of life stresses. A big change means lots of stress. Even if that change is a good change, it is still very stressful. Moving is also high on the list of life stresses. You have 3 really big changes all at once so, maybe it is too much all at once and you should focus a little on the de-stressers.

2/3's of the way thru the seminar and it is more and more evident that I am so ready!
Thanks Tesaje. Maybe I should take up drinking . Seriously, I appreciate the advice. Perhaps a nice bubble bath, with candles and a nice glass of wine will do the trick. In any event, my retirement party is already planned for 7/28 and on 7/31 I will be out the door so quickly there will be no chance of it hitting me on the way out.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 AM

152 posts, read 616,580 times
Southernatheart,

I can sympathize with you and all the stress that retiring, moving, etc. etc. is causing. My last three months before I retired were stressful. It is a big change and, in my case, the last opportunity to get a full time job with a good pay. After retirement, I am just old and when you are old, high paying jobs are not that abundant. It is a BIG step and if planning was not done correctly, it could have grave consequences. I think that I am OK but will not know 'till a couple of months when I get my pension and can calculate how much money I am using and if additional adjustments are needed. I am lucky that if additional adjustments are needed, I can count with my wife's support.

I am a little less stressed now that the big step has been taken but, as in your case, I am getting a house ready for sale so that I can move and that is an additional stress to my new situation. I am very optimist, however, that everything is going to work out fine, and so you should be.

Best wishes on your upcoming BIG day.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 PM

33 posts, read 93,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rferd View Post
Southernatheart,

I am a little less stressed now that the big step has been taken but, as in your case, I am getting a house ready for sale so that I can move and that is an additional stress to my new situation. I am very optimist, however, that everything is going to work out fine, and so you should be.

Best wishes on your upcoming BIG day.
Thank you for your good wishes rferd. I am a little concerned about the financial issue. Like you, I will worry until I see how much the pension check is and how far it takes us (I'm told the estimate is not always accurate). My dh is also retiring (early) and he has no pension and little in the way of ss. But, I think we'll be ok. If not, there are plenty of good economical tips I've picked up from this forum.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
My next few weeks involve the handoff.

This is where you defend how you've done things, policies, routine. Sometimes an uncomfortable experience.

I'm ready - 30 June can't come soon enough.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Southernatheart,

I have not received the first pension check yet. Hope the estimate was accurate enough but I will tell you when it gets in. I was told that it would be early in July at the latest. I have a cushing to handle June and possibly July but still would like to get that check so that I know if it is close to the estimate.

June 30 is just around the corner. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 AM

I just finished my last retirement seminar. Our retirement system is very complicated with many options and different things affecting different employees. They recommend we take one in our last year to be sure we understand all the things and what to expect afterward. They cover our benefits, financial planning, estate planning, a fitness and health section, and the emotional-life planning aspect.

I'm so ready. I'm feeling very good about it all. That I have planned well and my plan is solid. I just have to wait out my time now.

One of the things that stood out in the transition section was she said any major transition has 3 steps to be successful:
First is the endings - you step out of your old situation into the new one. You may feel good but also have feelings of letting go of your old roles and maybe a sense of control. You are out of your known zone. Maybe feel emptiness and loss, maybe some resistance to changing.
Second is the neutral or low period - you are into the new situation but might have the danger of getting into a rut of the loss of the old ways. Anxiety and uncertainty with more questions than answers. Some get really stuck here - they are the ones who yearn for the good old days.
Last is the Beginning Anew phase - here you have excitement for your life, you begin new relationships, new routines and roles. You feel confident and pragmatism and productivity govern your new life.

She said we all want to get from one to three in one step but very rarely can. She said people who are successful, have a vision of their new life and have planned out concrete steps for how to get there. So when the loss phase hits, they know where they are going and how to get there. And of course, she said planning your vision before you retire is a smart thing. But even if you don't, realizing there is the rut danger and how to get out of it can still result in a successful re-imagining of our retired life.

I am so ready!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
My staff caught me off-guard today. Surprise party - unexpected. Glad I showed up as it was supposed to be just 2-3 people, but about 40 showed up. Gifts, nice things said, etc. Hate to be the center of attention, but a good send off.

Of course, had to give the appreciation speech. Think I did well - thought I'd be a little emotional - but did well. Inside, I wondered where the appreciation was during the last several years - would have made the work a lot easier to come to each day. I admit - I'm not made out to be a supervisor - absolutely little fun in the job.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Tesaje,

It must have been a great seminar. I had one three years ago that was very useful but they do not do it anymore ($$$). It is very interesting what she said about the three phases. I, like you, have done a lot of preparation for this "New Beginning" so I was ready when the time came. SS and Medicare are set, called Fidelity (who handle the pension) today and was told that the first check should be deposited mid June, so that is also OK. Checked with the medical plan and was told that they are processing it, so by the end of the month, everything should be in place. I read once that for something to succeed, you have to "Gamble on Overpreparation". I think that you and I have done our homework. Let me know how you fare during that critical first month. I am doing just fine one week into retirement.

BucFan,

Good that they gave you a surprise party. Mine was not a surprise because I got to choose who I wanted in the party. I had to give a speech also but, according to two of my children (who flew from Florida and SC), I did OK. I have spoken to groups often but still get nervous. When I became a little emotional, I stopped talking, thanked them and sat down. A very nice gesture; more so when it was paid by the firm. It was a very nice way to say good by.

One week into retirement and so far so good and, I am sure, it will continue to be so once I get over the hassle of getting the house ready for sale.

Best Regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement