Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times

Advertisements

Good for you BucFan! Where in Florida are you looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
South Tampa

Old 07-15-2009, 07:24 PM

70 posts, read 263,144 times
Welcome back, BucFan! Missed you!
Good luck on your house hunting. There are several of us who hope to move to FL when the housing market rebounds and we can sell our houses.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 AM

33 posts, read 93,578 times
[quote=BucFan;9784135]Relaxed, blood pressure is back to normal, running every morning, visited the beach today.
quote]

Welcome home BucFan. Glad to hear you're enjoying your retirement. You're two weeks in -- I've got a little more than two weeks to go. Looking forward to my blood pressure going down too.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 AM

I'm also losing weight. I find that it is easier to eat healthy when not working. One of my first goals in early retirement was to take better care of myself. It doesn't happen overnight, so I'm gradually working on things. Occassionally a thought about my work creeps in (ie "wonder how things are going") and I have to remind myself that it isn't my concern anymore. Being back in the USA again is nice - think I've been to Walmart 3-4 times since being back.

I did pick up tickets to the Buc's season opener against the Cowboys here in Tampa. Will also work on getting Springsteen tickets - my favorite performer - who just announced he'd be coming to Tampa in September. These are the things that I look forward to do during retirement and didn't necessarily have time to do during the working years.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Hang in there Southernatheart! You're going to love being retired. I can't believe that it's been 3 months since my last day. Absolutely no regrets! I've met up with some of my ex-coworkers since then, and I was somewhat concerned that I'd feel a little left out when the conversation would inevitably turn to work stuff. No worries! If anything, I feel a little smug sense of satisfaction that I don't have to worry about all of that silliness anymore! I can't describe the feeling of freedom that it gives me. But you'll feel it soon enough!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 AM

33 posts, read 93,578 times
Thanks for the encouragement janetvj. My head is spinning right now. I am training my replacement and doing as much cleanup as I can. I am chomping at the bit, but also a part of me is sad when I think a major part of my life will be over -- 30 years. I have a love/hate relationship with my job. My co-workers are like my family, even though I don't socialize with them after work. I should be less stressed -- I'm a "short timer" and shouldn't care whether the work gets done or not. But I do.

Anyway, after today I only have two weeks to deal with it. I expect to walk out of here with the weight lifted off my shoulders -- a free woman! And, hopefully, three months later I, too, can look back with satisfaction. Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 AM

Sounds exactly like me in June - especially the Love/Hate part. Good luck with the countdown.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:50 PM

Have selected my home to retire. It should be completed in about 2-3 months. It is a villa in a very comfortable community. GLHOMES - Valencia Lakes - Great Value on Priceless Lifestyle! . Beautiful clubhouse w/ fitness center, etc. No golf though, unfortunately. But there are a lot of communities with that around where I'll live.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:23 PM

70 posts, read 263,144 times
Wow, BucFan! What a retirement you will have! You'll have to fill us active adult want to be's in-what's it like?
Do you know anyone in the area? I want to look at active adult communities in Vero Beach on the east coast. If you can post some pictures of your new home when you move in. You had a plan and now you're living your dream. Way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement