Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 01:34 PM

70 posts, read 263,202 times

Advertisements

Yes, I need one of those 'retired' bracelets. My last day of work was June 12. I still have to remind myself to relax on Sundays-that I'm not going to work tomorrow and then I tell myself I'm not working for the rest of my life! So it's not automatic yet. I worked 30 years teaching.
Like you, Gunterville, maybe it will sink in more after I take a vacation in the spring to check out retirement communities. So, how many days are left for you? You are sooooo close!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
I'm finding it difficult not to spend money - every day can be a shopping day when retired. When at work, I'd put in 12 hrs x 5-6 days a week and not have a chance to spend. Would save a ton of $$$ this way. But being retired, you find youself spending.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm finding it difficult not to spend money - every day can be a shopping day when retired. When at work, I'd put in 12 hrs x 5-6 days a week and not have a chance to spend. Would save a ton of $$$ this way. But being retired, you find youself spending.
Actually I've found the opposite to be true in my case. It probably helps that I don't enjoy going to the mall for recreation, so the only time I do go is specifically to buy whatever it is that I need.

While working, even if I brought my lunch I'd be spending here and there for snacks, for gas, and other odds and ends. Now, I eat what I have on hand.

I have lived the whole summer in flip flops and t-shirts, so I've saved a bundle on work clothes.

The art museums in Baltimore City started a free admission policy a while back and I've made several trips there. I have to pay for parking, but that's only a couple of dollars.

There are plenty of parks and other recreation areas around with no entrance fees that I visit during the week.

I have made a habit of meeting friends for lunch several times a month and that does cost a little money, but still less than what I'd spend when I was working.

Of course, in my case I really had to cut down on unnecessary spending, since I'm having to make do on a lot less income. But I'm finding it to be do-able and I don't feel deprived. The big difference is in my travel budget. That's where I used to spend much more than I'm able to now. I miss that, but not as much as I thought I would. Guess I don't feel as though I have the need to get away from anything like I used to.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 AM

152 posts, read 616,556 times
Tesaje and bluecrab,

It has been three months in Retirement and still feel "funny". Work is still in my mind but enjoy not having to get up to go. Today is stormy and it was nice to stay in bed and "enjoy" the bad weather looking out the window. ;-)

I still do not feel "retired" but neither do I feel "on vacation". It might be odd but I still feel in a transition mode. Maybe because I will teaching a course over the internet and therefore will still do some work. It is great, however, to know that I am "master" of my time.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
I've been retired since 1 July and feel the same. Not complaining - I'm 46 yrs old, so I probably need to find some challenging volunteer work after getting settled. Still waiting for my home to be finished. In limbo until then - went to see Springsteen last night, Bucs-Cowboys today, and will golf a few rounds this week (my usual allocation of golf is 1-2 times/week). Noticed, that my social contact is much less due to not working as well.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I've been retired since 1 July and feel the same. Not complaining - I'm 46 yrs old, so I probably need to find some challenging volunteer work after getting settled. Still waiting for my home to be finished. In limbo until then - went to see Springsteen last night, Bucs-Cowboys today, and will golf a few rounds this week (my usual allocation of golf is 1-2 times/week). Noticed, that my social contact is much less due to not working as well.
It sounds like you are staying very active BucFan. I agree that the social contact is less than when I was working, but so far I haven't minded that so much. I enjoy doing things by myself sometimes. I've also thought about doing volunteer work, but I want to find the right match for me. And I'm still not sure whether I'm ready for a regular routine - where I have an obligation to be somewhere at a particular time and day on a regular schedule.

For the last month or so I have finally gotten in the habit of walking most mornings for an hour or so. And I also try to get out to a museum or some other destination at least once a week. Last week I had my 3 year old granddaughter over a couple of days as her regular care-taker was sick. That was fun, but exhausting!

I do think I spend too much time on this computer! Although it is the primary way that I stay in touch with people unless I'm meeting someone for lunch or happy hour, or weekends with friends (who for the most part are still working).

It just occurred to me that I have been away from work for 5 whole months, and that seems unbelievable to me. The time seems to fly by.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:14 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Today marks my emancipation from having to work for a living.

I don't plan on leaving just yet - I've planned for retirement at the end of the year for a number of reasons. But I could go today, if I wanted to. First marker down. So from this day forward, absolutely everything I do is because I choose to do it.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

I don't plan on leaving just yet - I've planned for retirement at the end of the year for a number of reasons. But I could go today, if I wanted to. First marker down. So from this day forward, absolutely everything I do is because I choose to do it.
Good for you! It's exciting to be moving into the next phase of your life. Hope you have smooth sailing as you close in on your retirement date.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

Congratulations!

I had a coworker some time ago who was retirement-eligible, but had no immediate plans to retire. However, he filled out the retirement application package and had it in his desk drawer just awaiting his signature. He told me that he did so in case the boss ever hassled him too much one day. He figured he could just sign and date the form and walk out the front door.

One day he did just that!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,184 times
My last day is December 18th so 90 days from Friday....and counting! On spending money, I have found myself just wanting less of everything, clothes and possessions, I really want to live a simpler life in retirement. I have always been somewhat of a thrifty type person, I have to really want something to buy it, I can go clothes shopping all day and buy nothing. My weakness is wanting to splurge here and there on my daughter when I visit her, I get more joy out of taking her out and buying her a new outfit than buying one for myself. I don't have grandkids yet but I am sure I will have a weakness with them too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement