Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 AM

24 posts, read 63,625 times

Advertisements

Hi all...new to this thread. I am a retiring educator/artist/college administrator and cannot wait to leave after 36 years on the job. Signed up for the "phased retirement plan", which will allow me to return for one term per year for three years at half pay...but, if I feel the way I do now when teaching obligations kick in next year, there is no way I'll go back. I was a dept chair for 11 years before this year and witnessed aspects of human nature I would prefer to never have experienced and would like to soon forget. We are looking forward to moving to a private, serene, beautiful environment that's not too far from an urban art center, and making art full time. If I sell it great, if not, that's ok too. Getting away from the academy after almost 40 years is its own reward and we can't wait. My give a s%^%$ gauge is down to minus 10 and it is painful to even think about going to the office most days. I still love my students....it's the institution and it's ridiculous imperatives that I hate. Doing what's in the best interests of students became secondary a long time ago. Considering Asheville, Northampton, MA, and Mpls areas as possible destinations. And...I know I preach to the choir here..I know lots of retired former educators and don't know any who regret their decision to leave...My wife works part time in our department (I was unit chair but didn't supervise her for obvious reasons) and she is also ready to go. After 25 years teaching in MN, I have a pension and some savings, not at all great, but probably enough to make it work. We are currently in NC after moving here 9 years ago for a new position...any suggestions on great retirement destinations or input about western Mass, Asheville, would be much appreciated.

Good luck to all. I am counting the seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 05:47 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,410,625 times
Very interesting to read about your outlook. What's interesting is that there are a lot of commonalities between professions. I had similar thoughts as you did (I'm nearly 6 months early retired) as a nursing supervisor.

I occasionally participate in another forum that focuses on early retirement. PM me if you're interested in the link.

No recommendations for where to live except to say, I picked Tampa, Florida. Nice weather, no state income tax, real estate is relatively inexpensive (at least now), and there are plenty of sporting events to attend, beaches, concerts (from Springsteen to Buble - I'm attending both). Caution, it gets pretty hot down here except from Nov-Feb.

Valencia Lakes Active Adult Retirement from New Home Builders in Tampa – GL Homes

Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 AM

Thanks Bucfan. I'm looking forward to watching our beloved Vikings this afternoon. I have visited St. Petersburg, but not Tampa. Actually had a solo show at a museum there. Beautiful city. The financial attributes you describe are attractive but Florida is not in our plans, at least for now...Congrats on your obviously successful early retirement. You set a good example for others...and I would add that I never want to "manage" anything again, ever...Best to you.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,256,015 times
Welcome, MN242! Yes, it is interesting how the feelings can be so similar despite very different careers. Maybe that is the definition of burnout - can't take the BS and power-tripping antics anymore. Being able to retire and leave it all behind is truly a great life gift. I have noticed that the worst of the game players are the ones who don't seem to want to leave.

When is your departure date?

I've got barely 5 more weeks to go - just Dec. There's is a lot of things for me to do before I leave but if I don't get it all done, it won't be my problem next year. This letting go of caring about something and an organization I gave most of my life to for 3 decades is a little strange. I am looking forward to having complete freedom and not having to put up with nasty people who I have had to bite my tongue about. I will be able to just walk away from any of those social dominators whenever I want. Being the boss of only myself will be great.

On the other hand, as I get ready during these final weeks, it is becoming more and more clear how many things I've been using daily (especially electronics) that has been subsidized by my employer. All of that either has to be left behind or replaced and supported by me.

I'm starting that phase of eager anticipation of a really good event while feeling the uncertainty of embarking on a new endeavor with different risks and rewards than I have experienced before. It is a little scary but in a good way.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,159,849 times
Welcome to mn242. I retired on May 1st of this year and I can't believe that it's been 7 months. The days seem to fly by regardless of whether I have them cram-filled with activities or if I'm just loafing around taking it easy. And I agree with Tesaje and Buckfan that the burn-out seems to be a universal thing regardless of your profession. You just get to a point where you no longer have the patience or the desire to deal with the bull***t anymore.

Keep us posted as to how things go with you. I enjoy reading how others feel as they make the transition to this new phase of their lives.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:22 PM

Hi Tesaje and Janetvj. Thanks for your warm welcome. It is great to hear from others who have experienced the same thing as well. I will admit that I tried to leave my administrative position for several years and was sweet talked into returning by 2 different deans. I finally put it in writing to the dean and the faculty and at that point, there was no turning back. I am back to teaching and have filed the paperwork for going to half time, but as I said in my original post, it is questionable as to whether or not I will do that. My contract expires on June 30, so we will put the house on the market, and if we are lucky enough to sell, move to a place we would prefer to live. NC is an acquired taste for us and one we have not yet acquired...the midwest or northeast are probable destinations...maybe Asheville, but probably not.

I worked in a unionized school for most of my career and hated it, thinking that merit was never rewarded....My last position was all merit based and everything, and I mean everything, was a negotiation. Teaching is the last thing on people's minds. In fact, I often reminded people that their teaching assignment was not punishment. If most of my colleagues had to work a "real" job, they would not make it beyond the first few months (or days). Our union contract in MN prescribed virtually every responsibility, whereas everything here was suggested or at the discretion of the chair...what a fricking stupid way to run an organization....anarchic and dysfunctional are terms that come to mind...

Congrats to all who have made the transition or are close. We can't wait.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,004,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn242 View Post
Hi all...new to this thread. ...any suggestions on great retirement destinations or input about western Mass, Asheville, would be much appreciated.
Welcome, mn242! I hope myself to become an active participant in a "Retiring this year" thread in another month. I currently plan to retire Feb. 3, 2010, although that could change.

As for suggestions for great retirement destinations, have you considered Santa Fe, NM? It's a beautiful town and they have a wonderful artists' community. Scottsdale, AZ is another nice area for artists.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:45 PM

Hi MadMan...Good luck on the retirement plans. I will have to stick it out until early May 2010 but I think of years as starting in August and ending in May after all these years on academic schedules. Santa Fe is not a town we have considered although we hear it's beautiful. Our kids are grown but we want to be near them and they are either MN or New England bound. The area around Northampton, MA is really interesting for us and we love the architecture there. After spending 25 years in MN the winters don't scare us at all.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 PM

482 posts, read 2,417,394 times
Just checking in, I am retiring December 18th which seemed so far out but now I realize I have only 14 more work days. On a sad note my father who was in good health went into the hospital on 10/31 and passed away on November 8th, I am feeling like I am just in shock right now. I am moving on the 18th from Fl. to our home in Al., I am feeling like I am going to have a lot of change at once, with my Dad's passing in addition, it is a bit overwelming.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Hi Guntersville....My condolences...good luck on the retirement plans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement