Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
This is the first weekend in which I did NOT do laundry.
Uh-oh!!! The first thing I discovered when I retired was "more time" does not mean "more time for housework."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 AM

152 posts, read 616,438 times
I will be gone on May 31st., although if I take my vacation in May, it might be sooner. Counting the days; today...74 calendar days and 54 working days.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
My day is 30 June. I'm counting the number of agonizing staff meetings that I have to attend. I'm down to three (they're held monthly).

Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 AM

384 posts, read 989,888 times
Oh ..lucky you Janetvj - four Mondays!! Heh .. I am really liking the sounds of the Englewood or Venice area on the gulf coast of Florida. Have you been there?

Bluecrab - I work in government... which sounds dull but I"ve been most fortunate to have had stimulating and challenging positions.

I took a yoga workshop over the weekend ... and it sure did make we want to do something besides going into an office situation everyday.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
The dreaded retirement party - I'm sure some of you are going to be subjected to them from your co-workers. I wish I could just slip away.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:37 AM

384 posts, read 989,888 times
BucFan - I agree... retirement parties are the worst... I plan to slip away. I just will not show up at work one day - that is exactly the way I want it. I've also stopped participating in retirement partiies.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:24 AM

70 posts, read 263,138 times
I'm in the no party camp also. I don't want any recognition. Like BucFan, I want to quietly slip away, preferably through the back door.
Janet, you're going soon. Are you having a party?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 AM

152 posts, read 616,438 times
bluecrab et. als.

I understand and sympathize with your feelings about the retirement party. I will probably have one also and would prefer to be left alone. I understand also, that after so many years with my present "crew" (although when I will retire after 35 years, I have been with my present "crew" for about 10), I have made friends who wish to express their happiness for my "new life" and thus would like to throw a party. So, although when I do not wish to have one, I will "suffer" through one for their sake.

My two cents on the matter.

54 working days and counting.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
BucFan - I agree... retirement parties are the worst... I plan to slip away. I just will not show up at work one day - that is exactly the way I want it. I've also stopped participating in retirement partiies.
thats funny..I felt the same way..just wanted to leave..no party....
but I got one and glad I did...got to say goodbye to people....
it was a closure...best to you..you will love retirement..believe me you won't
miss work...I don't...

Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
I'm in the no party camp also. I don't want any recognition. Like BucFan, I want to quietly slip away, preferably through the back door.
Janet, you're going soon. Are you having a party?
I have told everyone that I do not want a party, but people are trying to talk me into it anyway. I do understand that co-workers that I've known for many years would like to say good-bye, because no matter how good our intentions I realize that I may never see a lot of them again. The co-workers who are also good friends I'm sure I will see again, and I've suggested we just meet for lunch or a happy hour somewhere down the road. I really do not want to have speeches made over me, and certificates presented, and gifts, and that whole scene. There are actually several of us retiring on or near the same date, so if they do just a group thing where people bring in desserts or something, I'll probably participate. But I really don't want a big to-do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement