U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:30 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,056,039 times

Advertisements

How about we start a thread for this year's crop of people who plan to retire this year (so we don't misdirect and steal the current retirees thread??

I'm planning on going out at the end of this year. 11 more months minus a week. But who's counting?

Congrats to those of you also planning on going.

When I say I'm KMA (kiss my (donkey)), I don't mean that I'm not doing my job. But I've refused to attend meetings that are useless. I only go to those that I think are directly pertinent to my work. I'm also mentally and emotionally divorcing myself from caring about the future at my place of work. I'm starting to hand off jobs so others can carry on without me. Things llike that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
Date Duration Calculator: Days between two dates

My actual retirement date is 1 November, but I've accumulated so much leave time that it moves up several months to 30 June. Still can't get in the mindset of retirement until 30 June actually hits.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:02 PM

70 posts, read 237,261 times
Thanks, Tesaje, for starting this thread. And congrats on your up and coming retirement.

I like that thinking-divorcing mentally and emotionally from your job. That is so hard for me to do as I still give 1000% and work for 'free' in my job.(I teach) That's part of the reason I'm burnt toast!
The one thing that brings me some joy is throwing out files and papers I'll never need again. And not volunteering for any more 'opportunities'
Sounds like 2009 is the year!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:16 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,301,648 times
Great thread! I'm retiring effective May 1st. I'm elated to be part of this club! And Tesaje, I understand exactly what you mean by KMA. I told my boss on Friday about my plans (even though I'm not obligated to give them more than 30 days notice). I am not going to slack off to the point where I dump off my responsibilities on anyone, but I've started feeling a sense of detachment. And that feels good. I'm not going to let things get to me. I had already started mentoring certain people to prepare them to move up. I like and respect my co-workers; both the ones above me and the ones below me. I want there to be a smooth transition. But I'm happy to let go of the responsibility.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,257,774 times
I just applied for benefits, I'm retiring April 30th and very excited.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 PM

congratulations

Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Curious what others will do in their first month of retirement. Travel?

I'll visit family for a few weeks in New York (upstate) - the travel to Orlando to see the Bucs in training camp. Will also do some traveling - see the Letterman show, visit NYC, visit DC - maybe go on a cruise in FLA/Carribean. No hurry, I guess to get it all done in the first year of retirement. Got to spread things out.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 AM

78 posts, read 270,752 times
I plan on semi-retiring after 35 yrs,I'm burnt out also. the first couple months I plan on moving & then look for part time work. After 35 yrs of the same routine I just need a change..Good luck to us all,it will be tough with this economy.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM

152 posts, read 574,128 times
I am also retiring on 2009 (May 29 last day - 109 days left). I have not delegated the work yet but my boss is aware of my plans and will "try" to get a replacement.

I'm leaving in NJ but will relocate to SC where "the living is easier" and the tax burden much less than in Jersey.

Once settled, will probably spend a month in Florida and another in Puerto Rico, where we have friends. Then... who knows. Maybe I will try to find something nice to do so that I return something to the community.

Good to see a link for those who "will take the big step" this year.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 AM

152 posts, read 574,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rferd View Post
I am also retiring on 2009 (May 29 last day - 109 days left). I have not delegated the work yet but my boss is aware of my plans and will "try" to get a replacement.

I'm leaving in NJ but will relocate to SC where "the living is easier" and the tax burden much less than in Jersey.

Once settled, will probably spend a month in Florida and another in Puerto Rico, where we have friends. Then... who knows. Maybe I will try to find something nice to do so that I return something to the community.

Good to see a link for those who "will take the big step" this year.
Should have said "living" and not "leaving" although I am doing that also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement