U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
 
28,981 posts, read 32,824,455 times
Reputation: 10487

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My doctor prescribed this and I took it for about 6 months. The last time I went to pick it up it was denied by the insurance company. I am sure glad they know more about my condition and medications than my doctor...
My experience with celebrex and insurance is that it is cost thing. Celebrex is more expensive than other medications. I had to have my doctor request a waiver and got one. But we had to go through that process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Conservative Las Vegas
15,978 posts, read 19,291,625 times
Reputation: 21511
I moved to Las Vegas 13 years ago from Minneapolis. I had been doing massage therapy for 5 years, and after 5 years, I thought my days of doing massage were numbered, due to pain in my shoulders, wrists, elbows.

Eversince I moved to Las Vegas I have had very minimal or no pain in my joints. Las Vegas is the 2nd driest city in the country (drier than Phoenix and Tucson) and I swear by it! The only problem, is I'd love to live elsewhere, but, for health reasons, I feel like I'm stuck here, but not a bad city to be stuck in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Rural New Mexico
557 posts, read 2,224,141 times
Reputation: 337
You might feel better in a drier climate, but if your arthritis is severe enough and/or you have other serious health problems, be sure to do your research to find out how far you'd need to drive to where there are rheumatologists and,a good sized med center. I might be starting on an infusion drug for RA which needs to be administered by my rheumatologist's office--that's a 4 hour drive from me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 PM
 
5,091 posts, read 12,938,743 times
Reputation: 6892
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
You might feel better in a drier climate, but if your arthritis is severe enough and/or you have other serious health problems, be sure to do your research to find out how far you'd need to drive to where there are rheumatologists and,a good sized med center. I might be starting on an infusion drug for RA which needs to be administered by my rheumatologist's office--that's a 4 hour drive from me!
This is a good example of the problems of getting old and you live in an area that is not near medical care and does not have good public transportation.

Here, in Colorado, we get those wide-eyed young retirees who choose to live in some idyllic location in the Rocky Mountains. After, battling long drives on mountain roads to find doctors, clinics and the technical medical facilities that only can exist in more denser populated areas--they sell and move to more amenable locations. Ah, no problem, there is another "Rocky Mountain Hi" dreamer, in line.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
 
7,136 posts, read 12,695,281 times
Reputation: 2309
I use supplements to help with arthritis, MSM/glucosamine, omega oils (EFA) and SAM-e. Also cut out meat from my diet for the most part. I take ibuprofen 400 mg daily if needed. I agree the southwest is where I feel best with less joint pain. Today is rainy and cold in PNW (as usual), ouch! Also, when I exercise more, I hurt less as a rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
 
5,091 posts, read 12,938,743 times
Reputation: 6892
I used Glucosamine and Chondroitin for arthritis, many years, per advice I received from Physician. I did research and I decided to stop taking it and see what would happen. It made no difference; It did nothing; It just was another cost. Now, all physicians I see do not advocate taking it, but just say "if it helps you, then try it.." New studies have shown that it is not effective.

Now Physicians are pushing Omega-3 but again studies have not shown a definitive relationship for amelioration of arthritis. However, I now take it and perhaps in a few years the physicians will say "if it helps you, then try it..."

There is all kinds of remedies but there is only one remedy that I know works, consistently, that is dry warm weather with no humidity. Since, I live in Denver, most days are low humidity, and many days are warm--those are the days I feel the best. However, there are some, rarer, days that are wet, cold and humid--then I am in more pain. So, that is my own testing for me; and that is what matters.

Would I move to a climate that is completely warm and no humidity, as a total desert???? I do not think I would because there are other amenities in Denver that I like and it is my home now. Also, I am bothered by too much air conditioning and in Denver, It is not necessary; as it is in other very hot areas of the southwest.

Again If I would suggest a place, it would be the high altitudes of the southwest because it cools off at night vs. the low altitude deserts which remain hot in the evening. Today in Denver, it was over 90 with low humidity; now in the evening at 10:30 PM, it is about 63, with low humidity. I needed no air conditioning, and I never felt hot and tonight I will sleep, comfortably in a cool comfortable bedroom.

What also helps me is that I live in ranch with a full basement. I do not think that multiple level homes are a good choice in this climate. It is easier to cool a ranch, with a basement, and easier to heat. Also, I have problems walking and the less steps the better.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 AM
 
7,136 posts, read 12,695,281 times
Reputation: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I used Glucosamine and Chondroitin for arthritis, many years, per advice I received from Physician. I did research and I decided to stop taking it and see what would happen. It made no difference; It did nothing; It just was another cost. Now, all physicians I see do not advocate taking it, but just say "if it helps you, then try it.." New studies have shown that it is not effective.

Now Physicians are pushing Omega-3 but again studies have not shown a definitive relationship for amelioration of arthritis. However, I now take it and perhaps in a few years the physicians will say "if it helps you, then try it..."

There is all kinds of remedies but there is only one remedy that I know works, consistently, that is dry warm weather with no humidity. Since, I live in Denver, most days are low humidity, and many days are warm--those are the days I feel the best. However, there are some, rarer, days that are wet, cold and humid--then I am in more pain. So, that is my own testing for me; and that is what matters.

Would I move to a climate that is completely warm and no humidity, as a total desert???? I do not think I would because there are other amenities in Denver that I like and it is my home now. Also, I am bothered by too much air conditioning and in Denver, It is not necessary; as it is in other very hot areas of the southwest.

Again If I would suggest a place, it would be the high altitudes of the southwest because it cools off at night vs. the low altitude deserts which remain hot in the evening. Today in Denver, it was over 90 with low humidity; now in the evening at 10:30 PM, it is about 63, with low humidity. I needed no air conditioning, and I never felt hot and tonight I will sleep, comfortably in a cool comfortable bedroom.

What also helps me is that I live in ranch with a full basement. I do not think that multiple level homes are a good choice in this climate. It is easier to cool a ranch, with a basement, and easier to heat. Also, I have problems walking and the less steps the better.

Livecontent

Not sure either why it works for some and not others. MSM (natural sulfa derivative) may have better results in studies. I find if I miss my regimen for a day or so, is noticeable. Do agree with the dry weather helping. I can't go over 7,000 ft. altitude or will notice pain in joints increases. But do love the high desert! No air conditioning needed, but definitely need heat in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,826 times
Reputation: 10
I know from my winter stays in the desert SW that my arthritis is ~50-70% better than those Upstate NY winters. A Geo-termal Hot Spring helps too as well as walking daily and a Happy Hour with a few desert friends and a Margarita. Money helps as to where to stay and how to live out your winter stays. I RV on the Federal Lands on the cheap. I'd love to upgrade someday but it will do until my better half joins me someday after her retirement :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Ocean Shores, WA
4,705 posts, read 12,249,046 times
Reputation: 9399
For years we lived in the hot, dry, Sacramento Valley.
Sometimes my arthritis would get so painful that I couldn’t walk.

We moved to the cold, wet, Washington Coast.
Sometimes my arthritis gets so painful that I can’t walk.

I don’t know if my arthritis is any better or any worse, but regardless of the cold and humidity, we love living here and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM
 
5,091 posts, read 12,938,743 times
Reputation: 6892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
For years we lived in the hot, dry, Sacramento Valley.
Sometimes my arthritis would get so painful that I couldn’t walk.

We moved to the cold, wet, Washington Coast.
Sometimes my arthritis gets so painful that I can’t walk.

I don’t know if my arthritis is any better or any worse, but regardless of the cold and humidity, we love living here and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.
That is interesting, you moved from "couldn’t walk", which denotes a past event--to "can't walk", which denotes a present event. Let us hope that you do not move, too soon, to that inevitable future event--will not be able to walk.

I am not making light of your condition. I just thought the use of contrasting words were funny. I do feel and share your pain; and I am happy that you found a place that you like to live.

livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top