U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Reputation: 28965

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamsjustbeachy View Post
where are u
Pam, this thread is over two years old.

I think we all do this at one time or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
Reputation: 11850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Pam, this thread is over two years old.

I think we all do this at one time or another.
I know this thread is two years old but to some of us newcomers it is still interesting. Some of us may not have had Arthritis two years ago and are interested in hearing other peoples experiences.

For me moving to the warmer weather of the South from the NYC area has helped immensely.
I also tried all the other over the counter arthritis treatments and prescription pain relievers and none of them did any good. For occasional pain all I take is Tylenol Arthritis.So far the warm/hot NC weather feels a lot better than the cold winters of NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,184 posts, read 10,131,783 times
Reputation: 18268
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
For me moving to the warmer weather of the South from the NYC area has helped immensely.

I was hobbling around all summer. It improved during the fall. Since the weather has been cold I've felt great. I may not be Peter Cottontail; but I've been hopping down the bunny trail.

Different people are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,217 times
Reputation: 10
Hi All,

I am considering Prescott, Az., but concerned about the mile high altitude. Anybody have Psoriatic Arthritis/Fibro/CFS who can weigh in on this, as my mom would go with us, and I don't want her to suffer more than the Los Angeles area, which is tolerable climate wise, but not in other ways... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 01:25 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Reputation: 30101
I'm glad this thread was revived.

I have chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia and got relief from the fibro 10 years ago with PT in a heated pool. Last year the virus came back again and I was left with fibro pain once again--going back to a heated pool, I think.

BUT about a week ago I bought some osteo bi flex with msm and hyaraulric sp?? acid. The pain is almost gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it was the hyaurlic acid (I really must learn how to spell that) because it's the only thing that is new for me and also I looked it up and it can work within days.

As for arthritis, I don't have it but my mother had RA. RA can usually be controlled by diet, from what I've heard. She had to give up potatoes and tomatoes and --zing--her fingers straightened right out again and she was fine. Those two are the most common arthritis triggers and she had suffered from arthritis for years.

I remember her brother a long long time ago telling me that he got rid of his RA by giving up orange juice, not easy when you live in Florida and have an orange tree right in the backyard, but he had the discipline to do it. No more RA for him.

For RA I would definitely try change of diet. For osteo, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,045 posts, read 18,260,654 times
Reputation: 15567
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm glad this thread was revived.

I have chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia and got relief from the fibro 10 years ago with PT in a heated pool. Last year the virus came back again and I was left with fibro pain once again--going back to a heated pool, I think.

BUT about a week ago I bought some osteo bi flex with msm and hyaraulric sp?? acid. The pain is almost gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it was the hyaurlic acid (I really must learn how to spell that) because it's the only thing that is new for me and also I looked it up and it can work within days.

As for arthritis, I don't have it but my mother had RA. RA can usually be controlled by diet, from what I've heard. She had to give up potatoes and tomatoes and --zing--her fingers straightened right out again and she was fine. Those two are the most common arthritis triggers and she had suffered from arthritis for years.

I remember her brother a long long time ago telling me that he got rid of his RA by giving up orange juice, not easy when you live in Florida and have an orange tree right in the backyard, but he had the discipline to do it. No more RA for him.

For RA I would definitely try change of diet. For osteo, I don't know.
I've read in several medical articles that most of us are deficient in sulfur. Foods containing it are garlic, cabbages, lentils, etc. Many arthritis sufferers try to avoid the nightshade foods (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant). This also helped a family member of mine.

Sulfur - MSM - methyl sulfonyl methane - Natural Health Site

As always do extensive research and check with a medical professional before embarking on anything we hear about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 7,891,229 times
Reputation: 8873
Consumers searching for a miracle cure for the aches and pains of arthritis should beware: The FDA has issued a new warning about the potential health risks of Reumofan and Reumofan Plus, two products marketed as natural dietary supplements for treating arthritis, muscle pain, osteoporosis, bone cancer, and other conditions.

FDA Warning: Reumofan Supplements Contain Dangerous Drugs - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Prospect, KY
5,288 posts, read 17,485,320 times
Reputation: 6515
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've read in several medical articles that most of us are deficient in sulfur. Foods containing it are garlic, cabbages, lentils, etc. Many arthritis sufferers try to avoid the nightshade foods (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant). This also helped a family member of mine.

Sulfur - MSM - methyl sulfonyl methane - Natural Health Site

As always do extensive research and check with a medical professional before embarking on anything we hear about.
I believe that a poor diet has much to do with why some suffer so much with arthritis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 07:59 PM
 
197 posts, read 179,548 times
Reputation: 110
You know, there is something to that giving up orange juice. I had a problem a couple of years ago and my doctor finally traced it to the orange juice that I drank daily. I now no longer drink it, have vitamin tests every 6 months, do take other vitamins (usually, over the counter) that he prescribes. The problem is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 03:54 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 15,898,310 times
Reputation: 7531
Perfect Place to Live, please - drifted off topic there for a bit :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top