U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 AM

29,170 posts, read 32,949,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm glad this thread was revived.

I have chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia and got relief from the fibro 10 years ago with PT in a heated pool. Last year the virus came back again and I was left with fibro pain once again--going back to a heated pool, I think.

BUT about a week ago I bought some osteo bi flex with msm and hyaraulric sp?? acid. The pain is almost gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it was the hyaurlic acid (I really must learn how to spell that) because it's the only thing that is new for me and also I looked it up and it can work within days.

As for arthritis, I don't have it but my mother had RA. RA can usually be controlled by diet, from what I've heard. She had to give up potatoes and tomatoes and --zing--her fingers straightened right out again and she was fine. Those two are the most common arthritis triggers and she had suffered from arthritis for years.

I remember her brother a long long time ago telling me that he got rid of his RA by giving up orange juice, not easy when you live in Florida and have an orange tree right in the backyard, but he had the discipline to do it. No more RA for him.

For RA I would definitely try change of diet. For osteo, I don't know.
Have you ever consulted and accupuncturist? I swear by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 AM

25,604 posts, read 37,128,210 times
I have what I think is mild arthritis. Doctors say I don't but if not then why do my hands, knees, feet and hips ache? I also have some other "things" that seem to be aggravated by damp and/or cold weather.

We recently spent three weeks in Las Vegas and I hadn't felt that good in years. We came home and I'm back in Hell again. I finally gave up and got out of bed at 3:15 this morning, took two Aleve, and went downstairs so Mrs. Tek could get some sleep.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 AM

2,847 posts, read 1,789,700 times
never felt so good living in dry desert regions

Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 PM

17,075 posts, read 16,258,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Have you ever consulted and accupuncturist? I swear by.
Acupuncture is great but it didn't work for the fibro. Thanks for the suggestion though. As for diet and RA, I don't think it's necessarily a bad diet but it's the WRONG diet for that particular person. Citrus and nightshades (potatoes/tomatoes) are some of the most allergenic foods and they can cause inflammation.

I've heard that people in the UK suffer a lot more from arthritis due to their cold and damp climate so there must be something to it, at least for the osteo. They go to sunny dry places like Spain to alleviate their suffering.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,224,917 times
We have adopted a whole-foods vegan diet and I have noticed that my arthritis symptoms have all but gone away.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,669,219 times
Folks, please - start another thread on arthritis cures, but this one is for Places to Live for folks with arthritis....not medication, treatment or cures.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:54 AM

239 posts, read 431,275 times
I hear most people saying that hot dry climates are best for them. Interestingly, the best climate for my husband is hot and humid. We lived in Hawaii on the wet side of the island in a rain forest and he felt much better than he does now on the Northern California coast where the humidity is much lower, and it's cold and gloomy much of the time. It really does depend on the person.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaMarie View Post
I've read what the books say....what the studies tell us about arthritis, but I wanted to hear from people who have arthritis who have moved and found a great climate that works best for them.....Thanks.
Hi there.

I am 23 and from Norway. i was diagnosed with arthritis at 11 years of age. I had very strong sympthoms and missed a whole year of school living in a wheelchair in Haukeland hospital in Bergen.

When I was 12 I went on holiday to Marbella, south Spain and after 3 days was the first time I could walk in over a year.
The changes it did to me made my dad decide to buy a place here and I have lived here since. Due to this Im no longer on any form of medication and have a normal way of life.

It is incredible what the wether can do and I encourage everybody with this type of problems to try moving to a more stable and hotter climate.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
Seriously looking to move. I live in the PNW and can't handle the pain of RA anymore. Interesting to hear Denver as an option. I need to be close to the ocean though.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 AM

10,396 posts, read 7,169,052 times
I've lived in North Central Texas for several decades; the only person I've ever known with RA lives way down south from here, in Austin.
I'm not sure that means squat, just chiming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or