U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM

508 posts, read 522,527 times

Advertisements

I'm probably one of those "obese people who have handicapped parking stickers that park and waddle to the motorized shopping carts" of whom you complain.

Actually I don't park, my son does, as I no longer drive.

I have a crazy slow metabolism and even when I was younger and healthier I had to strictly limit food intake and exercise scads to work it off. Yes, I'm one of the minority of people who really DO have a "gland problem". Getting my non-standard thyroid dysfunction treated with thyroid meds helped - but it doesn't solve the problem.

Now I have some type of neurological thing going on that is accompanied by or exacerbates, if not causing it, problems with fatigue and exercise intolerance. I used to ride 30 to 50 miles per day on my bike; now I can't make it around the corner without being worn out.

Add this to my crazy low metabolism and its a recipe for weight disaster.

I would like to limit my caloric intake and lose weight - but my son goes ballistic when I try. Because even before this happened, if I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week (the recommended amount) I had to limit myself to under 500 calories per day.

And don't start up on that "starvation diet" schtick. No human being with a normal metabolism to start with is going to not lose weight on under 1500 calories per day over a period of years. If "starvation mode" was going to kick on and keep you from starving to death, no one would ever manage to be anorectic.

Bad shoulders - both of them - mean I can't swim. Bad knees - even elliptical machines hurt my knees these days, except for one, and we actually considered buying one of that model to have at home - but it's over $3k. I can do deep water aerobics and these do seem to help with many issues - but where I live now, they don't have a deep end in the community pool and they only do bouncing-up-and-down water aerobics - which is why my knees are bad now.

I'm not quite crane material, and I am managing to hold the line and even lose just a tiny bit of weight over very long periods of time (it involves not eating when my son isn't paying attention and all the shirataki noodles I can manage) - but my weight is not what I would prefer.

I would really really really like NOT to be one of the people you sneer at, "waddling" over to the zippy-chairs. I know how people look at me and I know what they think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 PM

14 posts, read 32,146 times
Default Florida Arthritis Sufferers???

Sojj,

I feel for you, I do understand the vicious cycle, and weight gain. My thyroid just keeps getting worse and the medications keep getting increased.

I tired Bariatric surgery for the weight and after about six months, the cycle started, the surgery benefit wears off and I gained back half of what I lost. But back to arthritis; after having the Bariatric surgery, I am no longer allowed to take anti-inflammatory drugs. Too hard on the stomach. The theory was that I would lose weight and that would make all my joints feel wonderful. Nope, didn't quite work out that way. Instead I had one knee replacement and I am scheduled for another.

So, I am still wanting to hear from folks in Florida. Has anyone had any luck with their arthritis and Florida? I keep thinking there must be because so many older people do retire there. But I don't personally know anyone who has retired there, so I cannot ask!

Anyone?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2015, 06:43 PM

799 posts, read 1,491,429 times
My wife has RA, from '09 - '13 we were Snowbirds from New England to Florida,

Before spending six here and six there she had terrible RA pains and swelling of joints.

After we started Snowbirding she was like a new woman; no pain, no swelling, feeling great.

In '14 we moved to Florida full time, it will be two years 03/16, I can tell you first hand that

the Spring and Summer have been brutally HOT & HUMID, but it's the Dew Point that will

keep you housebound. I've come to the conclusion that Florida is a Snowbird playground and

the people that live here year round, are troupers.

Recently, we thought of moving to the western NC mountains for cooler Summers, and Winters not as severe as NE.

After learning of the dampness that comes with those mountains, we're staying put.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:32 PM

3,759 posts, read 2,573,795 times
I can handle the damp heat but not the damp cold. We are in NC and I practically live on the porch in the summer because AC cooled humid air makes me ache. In the winter I hate it outside. I am almost certainly FL bound for retirement. I am rarely driven inside there even in Summer heat.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:23 PM

5,546 posts, read 3,178,600 times
Hawaii helped me.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 842 times
Default Northern Florida living

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I had a hip replacement and rotor cup surgery (fall in ice/snow) in Colorado. Didn't want to have anymore pain or take the chance of falling again, so we moved to North Carolina......much less snow/cold. But, even there it got too cold for me and so we moved to Jacksonville, Florida. Weather here is MUCH better for me than in either Colorado or North Carolina.
What positive news. My husband & I would love to move to St. Augustine to be near our daughter. I was concerned about the humidity in terms of my arthritis, fibromyalgia and polymyalgia rheumatica. Are you still feeling good? I sure hope so. What is your 'take' on living in St. Augustine in terms of arthritis and humidity? I won't hold you to it...smiles.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 714 times
my husband is wanting to retire in tn. he wants to do small farming. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am very concerned about the humidity. we now are in alaska. I lived in ky. for a year and the humidity was horrible for me swelling and alot of pain. if anyone can give me some insight about this I would appreciate it so much.thanks Patti

Old 08-16-2016, 02:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,559 posts, read 36,999,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciasharrow View Post
my husband is wanting to retire in tn. he wants to do small farming. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am very concerned about the humidity. we now are in alaska. I lived in ky. for a year and the humidity was horrible for me swelling and alot of pain. if anyone can give me some insight about this I would appreciate it so much.thanks Patti
Where are you in AK, how is it treating you? Gardening can be great in parts of AK and PNW. (Minor humidity, little cold, plenty of rain). Can you mitigate locations, at least for summer?

TN is gonna be humid, far NE in Mtn will be best, but not much different than KY.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:35 AM

2,423 posts, read 950,346 times
I was having back and hip problems and it was diagnosed as arthritis, most likely from all the years of playing hockey. As we get ready to retire we want to move somewhere warmer and less humid than Chicago, most likely southern Nevada. Fortunately my situation is not that bad, and is manageable.

I've been to the southwest and other warm climates, of course, but only for short periods of time, and not since this recent problem has popped up. My question is -- is it the warmer climate that makes a difference with arthritis or is it the drier, less humid weather, or both?

Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 AM

6,977 posts, read 15,859,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I had a hip replacement and rotor cup surgery (fall in ice/snow) in Colorado. Didn't want to have anymore pain or take the chance of falling again, so we moved to North Carolina......much less snow/cold. But, even there it got too cold for me and so we moved to Jacksonville, Florida. Weather here is MUCH better for me than in either Colorado or North Carolina.
It is now May of 2017, and despite what I said about my arthritis pain being better here, actually hasn't happened! The high humidity here doesn't help my arthritis pain at all. I had another RC surgery in 2015, on my left shoulder, and arthritis pain is giving me a daily problem there now.

So, perhaps the Eastern Slope/Front Range of Colorado was better for me. Wife and I are now considering moving back there, but this time we will be retired. There are a number of things we do miss about living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or