Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,518,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Work gets in the way of other things I'd rather be doing. Money is overrated. It's that simple.
Money is overrated, unless you don't have any - then it's a very big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,568,846 times
I get the impression from the posts of people who don't work that they are defensive and resentful. They're defensive because they're capable of leading productive lives, but have chosen not to do so. They're resentful because their lives have been marked by a singular lack of success. I originally started this thread thinking that I would hear stories of fascinating projects and experiences. Instead the non-working whined and squealed about how badly they'd been treated by mean and nasty employers, and needed now to sit and do nothing to make themselves feel worthwhile again. Scarcely any of these people aroused any emotion but contempt. The respondents who are worthy of respect are the ones who still earn money, not the ones who squeal that money isn't that important.

If just one had said that he retired to work on a new translation of Livy, or develop an idea for a better chain saw, or work for legislation on some issue, or run for office, or .....but nothing.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,506,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Money is overrated, unless you don't have any - then it's a very big deal.
Agreed. I'd rather be doing charitable work and really making a difference. Though I like my job, as I stated several pages ago, it will not translate well to my dream town due to the always depressed economy there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I get the impression from the posts of people who don't work that they are defensive and resentful. They're defensive because they're capable of leading productive lives, but have chosen not to do so. They're resentful because their lives have been marked by a singular lack of success. I originally started this thread thinking that I would hear stories of fascinating projects and experiences. Instead the non-working whined and squealed about how badly they'd been treated by mean and nasty employers, and needed now to sit and do nothing to make themselves feel worthwhile again. Scarcely any of these people aroused any emotion but contempt. The respondents who are worthy of respect are the ones who still earn money, not the ones who squeal that money isn't that important.

If just one had said that he retired to work on a new translation of Livy, or develop an idea for a better chain saw, or work for legislation on some issue, or run for office, or .....but nothing.

I think calling people out about whining is a bit extreme. Most people are hard working and though you seem to be blessed with a good work environment, that is not often the case(I am lucky in this regard as well)... There are more important things than the bottom line in life. Though I would lovebeing able to continue working until I die(yes, I love my job that much), I would like to enjoy more time with my husband and working with local community charitable organixations in Eastport, Maine.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,568,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Agreed. I'd rather be doing charitable work and really making a difference. Though I like my job, as I stated several pages ago, it will not translate well to my dream town due to the always depressed economy there.

I think calling people out about whining is a bit extreme. Most people are hard working and though you seem to be blessed with a good work environment, that is not often the case(I am lucky in this regard as well)... There are more important things than the bottom line in life. Though I would lovebeing able to continue working until I die(yes, I love my job that much), I would like to enjoy more time with my husband and working with local community charitable organixations in Eastport, Maine.

If you really do do the work, you will have my applause. You'll be one of the few who actually does volunteer for a charity on a regular and real basis. Non-profits, whether charitable or political, normally have a very small group doing all the work. Professionals will tell you that it's much easier to get money than time.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,128,989 times
Quote:

sorry you feel that way~ I'm retired military and then self employed for 20+ more years~ have an older brother that is still working! What you stated was that it made you SICK to feel you could make more money and didn't! I merely said I felt I had better things to do with myself than to make every dime I could! So now am enjoying my time off instead of working daily in a business I still partially own. I know I could be still making more money than I do now but feel other things are more important to me that mking every last dime I can.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,666 posts, read 57,830,057 times
Quote:
...The respondents who are worthy of respect are the ones who still earn money, not the ones who squeal that money isn't that important...
Each to his own...
I haven't made a dime (working for wages) for 4 yrs, but have enjoyed being back in college (helping the young buckaroos who don't have a clue). I spend time assisting with 4 non-profits, cutting wood, fixing cars, and cleaning for many seniors, and have assisted many ex-coworkers with their inventions (just yesterday in fact). My own micro-businesses are not generating much income, and certainly not wages, so I pump them up every so often to keep them breathing.

But, I could care less if I ever make more money, nor will I use that criteria to measure the worth of anyone else.

generating money by performing activities just isn't my thing. (reminds me of some distasteful occupations)

generating happiness and comfort for those less fortunate seems to pay better dividends for me. Just sitting in a 2nd grade classroom reading to kids who's own parents were "too busy" to read to them convinced me of that long before I had 2nd graders of my own. Thus we worked as a family in the public schools while we home schooled b'cuz we wanted our kids to experience the joy of giving. (Time)

Enjoy your earning, for you know not what may be required of you this very evening.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:00 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,042,694 times
Cool Judgemental & Intolerant !

Quote:

Count me as one who retired because of the mean & nasty employers! Count me as one who thinks having enough money to cover all the basic necessities of life, without debt, is quite adequate! Count me as one who can be happy doing nothing and still respect myself! I retired at age 60, because I was eligible and have never regretted it!

IMHO anyone who has worked a lifetime and has chosen to retire is worthy of my utmost respect

and those who choose to continue to work for whatever reasons.......

Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM

250 posts, read 736,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
each to his own...
I haven't made a dime (working for wages) for 4 yrs, but have enjoyed being back in college (helping the young buckaroos who don't have a clue). I spend time assisting with 4 non-profits, cutting wood, fixing cars, and cleaning for many seniors, and have assisted many ex-coworkers with their inventions (just yesterday in fact). My own micro-businesses are not generating much income, and certainly not wages, so i pump them up every so often to keep them breathing.

But, i could care less if i ever make more money, nor will i use that criteria to measure the worth of anyone else.

generating money by performing activities just isn't my thing. (reminds me of some distasteful occupations)

generating happiness and comfort for those less fortunate seems to pay better dividends for me. Just sitting in a 2nd grade classroom reading to kids who's own parents were "too busy" to read to them convinced me of that long before i had 2nd graders of my own. Thus we worked as a family in the public schools while we home schooled b'cuz we wanted our kids to experience the joy of giving. (time)

enjoy your earning, for you know not what may be required of you this very evening.
... Lol

Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,506,272 times
Quote:
If you really do do the work, you will have my applause. You'll be one of the few who actually does volunteer for a charity on a regular and real basis. Non-profits, whether charitable or political, normally have a very small group doing all the work. Professionals will tell you that it's much easier to get money than time.
I'm doind it now when I'm not even retired.. so I'm sure I will do it then. I think in these rough economic waters, folks are more giving of their time.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 AM

37,346 posts, read 61,195,076 times
I retired with a pension. So I have money coming in.

I have an investment portfolio, which continues to grow. So my Net Worth is growing.

Now if I were to get a part-time job in my retirement, I could, but why? Unless it was for my pleasure, or some other benefit package.

Is it felt that a person is useless if they are not 'contributing' to a greater society?

If that is how you measure folks than many politicians are really useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement