U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 PM

6,999 posts, read 6,990,757 times

Advertisements

Del Webb Charleston (Summerville, SC)

We visited 2 weeks ago. It's nice, but not very far along. The homes are almost totally vinyl. The 55+ is inside a larger community of all-age homes (Cane Bay Plantation). Nice idea, but that's barely built also. All OK if you are only 55 and don't mind waiting for the grocery, etc. to come to you. I want the convenience now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 PM

17,402 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Default No Noisy environment and no controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTERNETTE View Post
I dont want someone working on their car with the bass vibrating loud enough to give me a migraine.
If you go to Noisefreeamerica.org you'll find that the decibel levels from these cars with the loud, stereo systems, often at 140 decibel levels, can cause heart attacks in some people, not just migraines.

I have cursed myself repeatedly for being born so sensitive to noise, and I pray the day arrives when unwarranted noise does not effect me in any way.

For that reason alone, the idea of an HOA with strict controls in a 55+ community will always be attractive to me.

In a free-style neighborhood, the neighbor from hell might move in next door and what are your recourses as the police will oftentimes say: Well, there isn't much I can do until 10PM. By then, I might be on my way to a lunatic asylum or be arrested for murder.

If I miss seeing kids around, I'll volunteer at a day care center.

I have traveled widely throughout Latin America, and you'll see gated HOA communities now from Tijuana to Central America to the tip of Chile. The desires for some control in your neighborhoods is not confined to the USA.

Last edited by tijlover; 08-03-2009 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: add a word

Old 01-07-2010, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,634 times
Default Tucson AZ

In response to your request for 55+ communities, we looked a long time as well. Coming from the midwest, we were looking also for more moderate weather (no snow).We love water of course, being from the great lakes, but found some of those areas quite pricey. When we came to Tucson, we were impressed with the diversity of the environment here. Not only is there desert, but there are gorgeous mountains and millions of acres of natural beauty. The people we met were the friendliest I have found in nearly all 50 states. The diversity of the community is also intriguing. There is a university with an outstanding medical school, an opera, symphony,theater groups and an eclectic collection of parks and museums as well as a plethera of golf courses ranging from easy to very experienced golfers. The proximity to California makes a weekend get away an easy experience also. All in all we are glad we chose Tucson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstoretire View Post
I would love to hear different opinions on 55+ "retirement communities." My wife and I are in our early 50's and have recently moved from California to Kansas. We wanted to experience a different part of our country (boy, have we and get of the extremely fast-paced living conditions of Southern California. We are in process of researching different 55+ communities and the positives/negatives of different states now for a move in a couple of years.
We are looking for information on communities from coast-to-coast. One thing that attracts us to the possibilities of these kinds of communitites are the potential relationships...folks in basically the same stage in life.
Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:36 PM

15 posts, read 31,214 times
Default Can't wait to move into an ADULT community

Personally, I am sick and tired of teenagers hanging out in the streets at all times and having no respect for anyone's property. I'm sick of hearing stereo noise from homes where parents are at work. I hate having to close my windows just to try and muffle the noise (which barely works).
I look forward to moving into an all ADULT community in the near future.
(and I do live in a very upperclass neighborhood in Virginia). I'll take quiet older people any day to unruly kids!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,255,905 times
I live in Sun City Anthem in Henderson, NV and love it. Also checked out Heritage Springs, Trinity, FL and liked what I saw there. However, I opted for NV for the low humidity and lack of creepy-crawlies. I agree that 55+ communities offer lots of opportunities to get involved, meet new people and learn new things. I feel very much at home here, have met lots of great people, and have joined several clubs. If you want to be around younger people, all you need to do is attend events and volunteer in the broader community. I do both, and love having the real world so close, but confess I'm always happy to come home to SCA. However, if you can't live with the rules and regs of a HOA, a 55+ community would not be for you. For me, the security and lifestyle are worth the trade-off.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,616,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masanddjs View Post
Personally, I am sick and tired of teenagers hanging out in the streets at all times and having no respect for anyone's property. I'm sick of hearing stereo noise from homes where parents are at work. I hate having to close my windows just to try and muffle the noise (which barely works).
I look forward to moving into an all ADULT community in the near future.
(and I do live in a very upperclass neighborhood in Virginia). I'll take quiet older people any day to unruly kids!
its funny how we have grown into our parents isnt it .....long hair hippies standing around smoking pot! they wont bath or get a job....what is this country going to do when they are the leaders .......they elect obama lol!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 AM

2,847 posts, read 1,960,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot520 View Post
In response to your request for 55+ communities, we looked a long time as well. Coming from the midwest, we were looking also for more moderate weather (no snow).We love water of course, being from the great lakes, but found some of those areas quite pricey. When we came to Tucson, we were impressed with the diversity of the environment here. Not only is there desert, but there are gorgeous mountains and millions of acres of natural beauty. The people we met were the friendliest I have found in nearly all 50 states. The diversity of the community is also intriguing. There is a university with an outstanding medical school, an opera, symphony,theater groups and an eclectic collection of parks and museums as well as a plethera of golf courses ranging from easy to very experienced golfers. The proximity to California makes a weekend get away an easy experience also. All in all we are glad we chose Tucson!
Are you in a Robson or Del Webb, I know there are two of each there?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,205 times
Question: I live in Yuma, AZ. If a community is posted (street signs) as a 55+ community, must it have an HOA? Can a community (not a private park) restrict residents by age? Where might one go to find information regarding 'do's and don'ts' for such a neighborhood?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:04 PM

9,581 posts, read 10,926,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurylo View Post
Question: I live in Yuma, AZ. If a community is posted (street signs) as a 55+ community, must it have an HOA? Can a community (not a private park) restrict residents by age? Where might one go to find information regarding 'do's and don'ts' for such a neighborhood?
The presence of covenants does not mean that there must be an HOA. Check with an attorney in your state to find out what's required.

Of course, there's always the do-it-yourself noise-free area. Just pick out an area of expensive homes with poor access to schools. This should be an area of at least twenty to forty square miles. Large parcels are a big help as well. It's not really about age; it's about noise. Children are noisy; people who live in cheap houses are noisey.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:39 PM

21 posts, read 68,081 times
What about Pine Lakes in the Cape Coral area? The good, bad and ugly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or