Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,900,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
If you have grandchildren this is something to consider. In FL, a couple had to take custody of their granddaughter and now they are being forced to sell their house because she lives with them. The HOA is threatening to take their house if they don't get rid of the little girl.
Those HOA's are one of the things that scare me about these communities. They seem to offer some protections but can be too powerful. And it seems they love spending your money!

I can't imaging being told to get rid of my granddaughter or move! Things can happen that are beyond your control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 02:32 PM

708 posts, read 928,435 times
Smile 55+ communities

From my observations 55+ com. do indeed offer a great deal--that is not to say they are for everyone--there are tradeoffs. It seems that more particular--meticulous persons do a bit better in these environs--and those that take advantage of the multitude of activities--not the armchair quarterbacks ---are usually more pleased.

If as they say--our American society is somewhat undisciplined, and inconsiderate neighbors are a pain--then perhaps a more controled neighborhood is important. I personally have seen some pretty fair neighborhoods go to pot simply because of the mental midgets who purchased homes there. The more civil and orderly moved because it was next to impossible to do anything about the chaotic happenings around their homes. Many things weren't illegal--just assinine.

Don't misunderstand--I'm not for a police state--and I wish other things such as consideration and good judgement would give rise to less rules and regulations.I don't see that happening soon.

Not a problem for me--I like peace and quiet for my money--also if I planned to raise G' children I would not move to a 55+, and if I was forced to I would shut up and leave for good obvious reasons.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:20 PM

801 posts, read 2,203,273 times
bluskyz...that's a good post. Indeed, some people really do want a community with strict rules, others don't. People simply need to ask themselves what they want if they are planning to check out the 55+ communities. The same could be said for any neighborhood. Some people want strict covenants and a strong homeowner association that won't let anything slide, others want things more easy going. Figure need to "figure themselves out" before making a commitment.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:45 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,677,064 times
Casting my vote for the Trilogy in Vistancia by Shea Homes. We can't wait to move across the road when our son leaves for college. We visit their Verde Grill for a fantastic dinner every chance we get. My husband loves the golf course and the homes are wonderful. Right now there are some very tempting resales due to the investors coming in by the dozens and snatching up the homes and now having to get rid of them. You might check with a realtor to see what is out there. The "new" builds are also a great bargin right now. Good luck, lots of choices out there.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:07 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,879,318 times
Default Passed on 55 plus

My wife and I passed on 55 plus housing. I don't think the model works long term. It is great now at the start of the baby boom retirement era but what happens on the back end when we all begin to need the next level? Who will be there to buy all of the 55 plus only housing? Much of this in now affordable because of the recent surge in house prices. Seniors who had been in their homes for years sold with fantastic equity. Will those who brought our houses see as much appreciation to afford the current 55 plus? There will not be as many of them and that will make sales more of a challenge. Lastly each year the average age in established communities will get higher and the associated on site cost for medical services etc will get greater. They seem great in the near term but from the mid point of the boom on I wonder. Does this make sense?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:17 AM

3 posts, read 12,724 times
I moved into a 55+ community in Yuma, AZ and boy what a mistake!!! My husband and I are not of retirement age. We are both professionals in Yuma. Over 80% of the folks live here only a few months of the year, reside in other states. The board has all of the control over what happens here. The board is made up of only out of state retirees. Meetings are held during the day, (we cannot vote on anything), while we are at work and the attitude of the board is," *********, we are not changing the time of the meetings." The activities are held during the day, with nothing scheduled by the elected "committee" for the weekends, except a once a month blood pressure check (Oh lordy!). If you are older, retired and like "shuffleboard", then a place like this might be heaven for you. ...but if you are younger, and don't have white hair.....go buy somewhere else. This type of arrangment really stinks.

Last edited by Sequoyah; 02-17-2008 at 01:25 AM..

Old 02-17-2008, 02:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,204,693 times
Sun City Center, Ruskin FLA is utopia. Check it out. Very nice community, price of homes from small $45,000 one bedroom villa to $500k mansions. Plenty of amenities - social clubs, golf, tennis, pools, fitness centers, etc. If you follow politics, a few of the Presidential candidates (McCain and Guiliani) have visited there to talk to SSC citizens.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:58 PM

316 posts, read 1,245,504 times
Default this is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
If you have grandchildren this is something to consider. In FL, a couple had to take custody of their granddaughter and now they are being forced to sell their house because she lives with them. The HOA is threatening to take their house if they don't get rid of the little girl.
That is awful to treat the little girl like a pet .

Old 02-18-2008, 11:19 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,767,250 times
Retirement community? Good grief!
We live in the same house we bought in our 20s in the same smal town.. and the neighbors do as well.... they were our friends them ans are still now. I would never trade it. Anyway, the only 55+ communities in the area we live in are trailers. Yuk.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:45 PM

56 posts, read 211,234 times
A very interesting discussion. I see both sides of the coin, but what surprised me most is the dislike of HOA's in these posts - they must cause a lot of situations! Unfortunately For first time buyers it is unfortunate that researching the Home Owners Association is probably not a job that gets done very often. A good lesson to be learned!

Regarding the choice of 55+ communities, my personal opinion after looking into this for a while is that there is a tremendous range in every aspect. Some, like The Villages and the Sun Cities, have so many amenities and activities that it makes your head spin. Some communities have almost no amenities, but that doesnt make them bad! It's all about what you want, and what you want to pay for.

Going back to my first point, the original developer and the HOA make enormous differences. If there is a commitment to quality and a solid board that plans and doesnt nitpick residents to death, the quality of the experience will be good.

I have been working on creating a directory of active adult communities, along with discussions of the towns they are in. As of today we have 85 communities listed and 225 towns reviewed. Everyone is encouraged to submit their community or town so it can be included (free), so people have a good reference source. here is the national list of active adult communities, if you are interested (click on states and cities to see)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement