U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,111,350 times

Advertisements

After 23 years in a particular field I retired myself. I couldn't beleive the major changes in my life. The non-contact with people, minute traveling I was now doing (basicly going no place,just staying around the house), LESS money at hand or coming in, no goals or drive for that matter. Being the lesser person in household decisions or so it seemed to me.
I was able to retire at 41 with money in the bank. I got tired of this after a few years. I WENT BACK TO WORK. I went for less stress,authority,hours and of course money. But I went back to work. I first tried owning my own business but the regulations and things you don't know about just about killed my spirit. And where I chose to do this also was a terrible place to live for me/us. We sold the house and moved to a place we knew we'd like as we lived there before.
You can't imagine how good a job is when you know you can just walk out the door if you want to. Sure makes alot of things that used to get to you way back when, not as important. And you can stick up for yourself and speak your mind alittle more. Ha,ha,ah,ha.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 03:14 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,890,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
After 23 years in a particular field I retired myself. I couldn't beleive the major changes in my life. The non-contact with people, minute traveling I was now doing (basicly going no place,just staying around the house), LESS money at hand or coming in, no goals or drive for that matter. Being the lesser person in household decisions or so it seemed to me.
I was able to retire at 41 with money in the bank. I got tired of this after a few years. I WENT BACK TO WORK. I went for less stress,authority,hours and of course money. But I went back to work. I first tried owning my own business but the regulations and things you don't know about just about killed my spirit. And where I chose to do this also was a terrible place to live for me/us. We sold the house and moved to a place we knew we'd like as we lived there before.
You can't imagine how good a job is when you know you can just walk out the door if you want to. Sure makes alot of things that used to get to you way back when, not as important. And you can stick up for yourself and speak your mind alittle more. Ha,ha,ah,ha.
It sounds like you learned a lot about yourself, as well as the external factors that influence our life decisions. Since you will probably retire again in 10 to 20 years, I would take the valuable data you have gathered from the failed first attempt, and incorporate into your planning for "retirement - the sequel".

Old 02-22-2009, 05:24 PM

74,554 posts, read 74,178,816 times
Thats why i always say retirement means not having to work but no necessarily not working..... alot of people dont quite get that saying as if your working your working but its very different when its on your terms

Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,670,101 times
thats the thing..you have to have a specific plan and goal for retirement....

Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,397,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
thats the thing..you have to have a specific plan and goal for retirement....
Well my specific goal for the immediate future is to do absolutely nothing. I want to spend the first few months after I pull the plug on May1st just decompressing after the last 32 years at this job (34 years working altogether). I need to unwind and de-stress. Then, maybe I'll think about what I want to do for the long term. I've already been asked if I'd be interested in doing some consulting, and I haven't ruled it out, but I don't even want to thnk about anything like that for now.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
Some people do have a hard time because basically thier life is their work. In my case I stayed just as busy and of course if you don't plan you financial situation can change.Just depends on the person and their situastion it seems,Some say they have nothing to do and others wander like me how they ever had time to do anything when they worked.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM

152 posts, read 578,672 times
texdav,

It is very true and sad at the same time that many people's lives are around what work provides; I have been one of those. For the last few months, and preparing for retirement June 1st, I have been looking for things to do that have nothing to do with work and found many that I was not even aware.

For those that center their lives around their job... get out of the rot and start living! There is a whole world outside work and, I might want to add, is MUCH BETTER.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,111,350 times
I know all I wanted to do was quit the field I was working in so long. I have had some great jobs since then. Not many made my anywhere near the money I was used to but I sure had fun. I also found I could pick up and do jobs I never even considerded for myself ability wise I mean.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 PM

7,475 posts, read 20,467,623 times
You can go to far in both directions... Retiring at 41 would seem way to young. You're still full of life and energy, you need something to do with your time. Once I retired, I found new things every day, and live a completely different, but busy, life now. You won't find those new things if you stay at work for ever..!
On the other hand, I had a fellow who worked for me that is still working today, at 68. He works for the goverment, and has over 40 years in, therefore a great retirement plan.
If he were to retire, he would bring home over $2000 a month MORE than he brings home now, but refuses to retire. He has no other life. I feel very sorry for him. I tell him he is institutionalized, like a prisoner being released after 40 years, he is afraid of the outside world and doesn't want to go..!
It used to be funny, but recently the company had a layoff, and a young family man was laid off. Bob could have retired and saved the other man's job, but refused to do so.
We were friends and co-workers for over 20 years, but him doing that to a man that needs a job made me angry and I don't talk to him any more.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,670,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rferd View Post
texdav,

It is very true and sad at the same time that many people's lives are around what work provides; I have been one of those. For the last few months, and preparing for retirement June 1st, I have been looking for things to do that have nothing to do with work and found many that I was not even aware.

For those that center their lives around their job... get out of the rot and start living! There is a whole world outside work and, I might want to add, is MUCH BETTER.
this is a very true post..alot of people make their job their life...you have to
seperate personal from work..I retired from 20 years in law enforcement and
never brought the job home...there is so much to do...if you chose to do it.
you make your own happiness,it is a true blessing to be able to retire...
I do not miss this job or the workforce one bit..I planned for years and got a retirement place ahead of time to look forward to...best of luck to you
in your retirement...you will enjoy it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement