U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:29 PM

296 posts, read 530,771 times
The Ozarks are simply stunning - lucky you Mr Curmudgeon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 PM

648 posts, read 1,837,097 times
As soon as I can retire I'll be leaving Phoenix, AZ (been here 24 years ) for the southern tier of New York! I grew up in WI so I know all about cold and snow. I miss the four seasons so much I just can't wait to get out of the desert!!! The only thing I will miss about AZ is my son if he doesn't move with me

Old 07-29-2009, 04:04 PM

18,959 posts, read 15,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I love the fireflies. Their amorous twinkling signals at night among the trees is so magical!
The closest I can get to them in this state is the beginning of the Pirates of the Carribean ride at Disneyland!

Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM

137 posts, read 253,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
I have been in Arizona for 20 years but love the memories of fall and early winter in upper New York state. I imagined retiring to somewhere back in the Northeast but my concern is how a deep dark winter will sit with me after more than 30 years of living in places with mostly clear skies even if it was cold and windy. Thinking back, that spring fever we experienced was a response to the lifting of the darkness and coming out of that winter depression or weariness.
You nailed it right there.
As one who is approaching retirement, and having spent my life (paid my dues?) in a "four season climate", sun belt retirement options are looking very attractive to us at this point. We've had enough of the ice, snow, and seemingly continuous gray overcast winters we get here. And the LONG nights.
To those wanting a four season environment, I'll say GO FOR IT. We'll leave and make more room for you.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 AM

10,912 posts, read 17,999,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
...sun belt retirement options are looking very attractive to us at this point. We've had enough of the ice, snow, and seemingly continuous gray overcast winters we get here. And the LONG nights.
To those wanting a four season environment, I'll say GO FOR IT. We'll leave and make more room for you.
I'm making space for those that might enjoy my 4 season climate. Drizzle, rain, snow (285 days / yr = 110" worth) sun ( 80 days / yr...107F today...)

Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 PM

252 posts, read 446,997 times
The best way to retire is to be a snowbird. Shock to all of you who think the Great Plains are the moonscape. I, honestly, think the summer green fields, the amber waves of grain, the fireflies, the November burnt sienna tones, and our country church on Christmas eve--on a gray, icy night are incredibly beautiful. That's right before we go visit my the snowbird village my parents chose, years ago--Valle d'Oro--in AZ. Then, we come back to smell the freshly turned dirt of Spring. And, OMG, June on my patio full of daisies and geraniums............Nebraska.

Later on, advanced age will make us stay here, year 'round. And, like my Mother, I will be disappointed. But, I'll remind myself to see the fireflies and the spring flowers and the turning trees and watch the fireplace while it snows.............

Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 AM

5,165 posts, read 5,852,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
As one who is approaching retirement, and having spent my life (paid my dues?) in a "four season climate", sun belt retirement options are looking very attractive to us at this point. We've had enough of the ice, snow, and seemingly continuous gray overcast winters we get here. And the LONG nights.
I'm with you. Even though I've spend the last 24 years of my life in Maryland, I was born and raised in Miami, FL, and temperatures below 60 still seem cold to me. If I never see a snowflake again after I retire it will be too soon. (And icy conditions, which are even more prevalent here than snow, is worse.) But I am not a fan of humidity either, so the day I retire the house is going on the market and we will get the Hell out of here as soon as it sells and head to Summerlin, NV. In fact, we are going on a house-hunting trip next month.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,244,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnorcm3 View Post
My husband brought home two retirement books, to help narrow down our choices. He told me to read both books, cover to cover, before talking to him. Because of our disabled son's needs, we should retire to a state with good special education and good adult special services. Minnesota, my home state, is one of the best states for education and special needs. But, you know what? Minnesota (and Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, Iowa) isn't even mentioned in one of the retirement books! As in, "Why would someone consider retiring to one of those states???"

So, my question is, for those of you who have retired to a 4 season state, how is it? Do you visit the relatives in Florida every winter? Do you creak and groan and wish for warmth? Or do you just get on and learn to live with it? What types of things do you do in the winter to keep you busy? We've lived many places over the years and love 4 seasons, but I'm very happy when winter is the shortest season. That can't be said for Minnesota.

Please help. How will I learn to live with the cold, again?
We opted to stay in Maryland upon retirement (2.5 years ago). The fall and spring are delightful. In the summer and dark days of winter, we travel in the US and Europe to climates more to our liking. After much research pre-retirement, we concluded that there wasn't one perfect place for weather in all seasons. Travel is our solution. Hopefully it will be many years down the road before we have to hang up our travel shoes and stay put. Until then, if we don't like the weather, we take off. Ultimately, proximity to friends and family was the deciding factor for us.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 AM

801 posts, read 593,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
I have been in Arizona for 20 years but love the memories of fall and early winter in upper New York state. I imagined retiring to somewhere back in the Northeast but my concern is how a deep dark winter will sit with me after more than 30 years of living in places with mostly clear skies even if it was cold and windy. Thinking back, that spring fever we experienced was a response to the lifting of the darkness and coming out of that winter depression or weariness.
I've lived in AZ since 1982. I am tired of sun and heat and ready to move back to a cooler place for retirement. But I also worry about those long dark cloudy weeks in winter. Northern New Mexico and Colorado might be OK.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM

5,309 posts, read 3,719,010 times
I'm retired and have yet to move to my "retirement" location. I have always loved the 4 seasons and know I would grow tired of the same season day after day. It's very sunny in the winter here (MN) most of the time - we have occasional cloudy days, but, again, it's a nice change because it isn't all the time. Spring and fall are especially great - spring with everything new and fresh (the grass is greener) and the fall, with that special aroma in the air from falling leaves and in-home fireplaces ablaze. Now, MN winter is just too long, which I why I plan to head to CO where all seasons are more moderate. My theory is I can still plan a vacation(s) to a wonderful beach area and get my fix that way. Whatever - enjoy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement