U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 PM

66 posts, read 161,323 times

Advertisements

When you had made your decision to retire, how long did you wait to tell your boss and what were the reasons for waiting or not waiting?

I have made the decision to retire on July 1st(I teach) but I am still not 100% positive. Being single I don't want to jinx myself plus I have elderly parents living with me and could need to take leave if they needed me. But the closer I get to June the more sure I am. I haven't signed any paperwork yet.
I'm still waiting. Plus the powers above could make my last few months much more stressful than it is now.
So I have to decide whether to tell before or after I sign on the dotted line.
What did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:10 AM

42,642 posts, read 46,451,578 times
I would say anyhting until your sure first of all. Then you ned to start becoming evry familar with your plan which should be in the school districts handbook.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 AM

11,207 posts, read 18,690,859 times
Find out your minimum legal notification period (But not discussing with your boss).
Then let the boss (and their boss) know with written and dated notification a couple days or a week before deadline. If they give you any trouble just tell them it was a difficult decision that you didn't take lightly and needed to fully explore options.

It is best to not burn bridges, but keep an element of control.

It was good for me just to 'step-out-the-back-door' after 32 yrs. No lunch, no cake, no goodbyes. Leave the badge, business credit cards, laptop, phone, pencils, erasers. Don't look back.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:10 AM

4,056 posts, read 3,247,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Find out your minimum legal notification period (But not discussing with your boss).
Then let the boss (and their boss) know with written and dated notification a couple days or a week before deadline. If they give you any trouble just tell them it was a difficult decision that you didn't take lightly and needed to fully explore options.

It is best to not burn bridges, but keep an element of control.
I agree. You need to comply with any stated minimum notification period, so that the powers-that-be can plan for your replacement (if they can afford to do so, that is), and add a few days for good measure. For me, well, I let my boss know more than a year in advance. She wanted to send me to a bunch of fairly expensive training, and I told her to send a co-worker instead - that she would see a return on the investment with the co-worker but not with me, since I was retiring.

But in your case, since you say that they would make your situation even more stressful knowing that you are retiring, I wouldn't exceed the minimum notification period by too much.

Quote:
It was good for me just to 'step-out-the-back-door' after 32 yrs. No lunch, no cake, no goodbyes. Leave the badge, business credit cards, laptop, phone, pencils, erasers. Don't look back.
After 34 years, I did very much the same thing. No big retirement party with cake and all that. My closest co-workers and my immediate supervisor took me to lunch, and that was a lot of fun. But that was all I wanted, and they respected my wishes.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:06 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,456,931 times
I told my boss last year that I was seriously considering retiring this year. At my job, there are quite a few people at management level (myself included) who are at or near retirement age, and if everyone who is eligible were to go at once it would create a serious "brain drain" on the agency. After working there for 30 plus years, I care enough to want things to go as smoothly as possible going forward. I also like and respect my co-workers, and do not want to leave them in the lurch.

I figured they would want to plan pro-actively. The problem is, I don't think anyone believed me. Whether just being in denial, or thinking I was just after attention (?) - who knows, because when I gave official notice in writing a few weeks ago that my effective retirement date is May1st, it was met with total shock. I was even approached about a possible promotion if I would stay. I said thanks but no thanks. Now they are scurrying around trying to plug holes, as several other people at my level and above are also leaving.

And I am in agreement about no party, and no big to-do when I go. I just want to fade into oblivion.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 AM

22,805 posts, read 17,746,312 times
Quote:
Good advice.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:41 AM

66 posts, read 161,323 times
Thanks, everyone! I have until July 15th to sign paperwork but I need to do it before July 1st to get next year's July COLA.
I also want to slip quietly out the back door and never look back. Janb, I'm right with you.
With teaching, the principal has all summer to find a replacement so my co-workers won't be in the lurch as I will fulfill all my duties before I leave. It's sad that there is no 'training' of the new teacher by the retiring teacher. You're plopped in the classroom and you sink or swim.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 8,707,546 times
I'm not required to give the boss any notice at all. If I want, I could file my papers with personnel, walk out the door and never come back. Personnel is not allowed to tell the management. It's been done. Some people even had the boss start awol action only to find out they could do nothing as the employee was retired.

But I already told my boss when I plan to go and he is planning to go 2 months before me.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:28 PM

15,400 posts, read 17,965,834 times
Quote:
Then let the boss (and their boss) know with written and dated notification a couple days or a week before deadline.
Very sound advice for people working in a large company. If you work in a small company (and you get along well with your employer) then IMO you can feel a little more relaxed about discussing the matter. With all the layoffs, etc. going on you have to be extra careful about letting your boss know that you're thinking about retirement (or any other career changes). Sad, but true.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:36 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,605,586 times
Quote:
It's not so much about the boss, but HR people, and how much time they need, to process your retirement, discuss your options on health coverage, 401k, your vacation sick leave balance.

If you boss is a decent guy and you expect he will treat you fairly, no harm in giving him a heads up. If not, then not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement