U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times

Advertisements

The question is with social security ,medicare and medicaid in trouble where is the money for universal health care going to come from/ Persoanlly I doubt anyone alive will ever see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,838,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The question is with social security ,medicare and medicaid in trouble where is the money for universal health care going to come from/ Persoanlly I doubt anyone alive will ever see it.
I totally agree.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
If congress hadn't consistently raided the SS fund, there would be no crisis. Once again, it was never meant to be a retirement fund, it was meant to keep the elderly and disabled from destitution and off the streets. Without the application to the whole population, the whole thing falls apart and that is what privatization would do. I still think there is no way it will be let to go. The country simply can't afford now to do without it. A way will be found to keep it going. The health coverage is a much bigger problem looming the near and distant future.

Pension plans, 401k and their ilk, IRAs, stocks, bonds, other savings, etc are meant to be the bulk of retirement funding. SS is for those who can't get onto that bandwagon so they don't end up on the streets. It has been a hugely successful program with a good return for its intended purpose.
I don't suppose anyone KNEW during the "baby boom" years (at least by the end 1964) that (duh) there would be LOTS of us retiring at the same time? Geez, maybe they could have fixed it then? No - too logical.

Unfortunately, if you have ONLY social security, you could still end up on the streets - I know people in my town who work 40 hours but can't afford housing, so they live at the local shelter. Social security can't really keep people off of the streets, IMO. Maybe once it could, but things are too expensive now.

It will NEVER go away, at least not until us baby boomers die off. We are 79 million strong, so we have lots of power, if we use it correctly.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM

30,703 posts, read 49,495,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I don't suppose anyone KNEW during the "baby boom" years (at least by the end 1964) that (duh) there would be LOTS of us retiring at the same time? Geez, maybe they could have fixed it then? No - too logical.
I agree, though hindsight is always easier.

Quote:
... Unfortunately, if you have ONLY social security, you could still end up on the streets - I know people in my town who work 40 hours but can't afford housing, so they live at the local shelter. Social security can't really keep people off of the streets, IMO. Maybe once it could, but things are too expensive now.
Had SS never been gutted by congress, we would all be looking at a different scenario.

I do not doubt that today folks who are receiving SS may be finding that they simply can not afford to maintain their accustomed standards of living.

However there do exist other places where anyone can travel to where the cost-of-living is lower. If I were to find myself in such a position I would move.

Nothing in life is 'fair'.

Is it 'fair' that after living in one city, and raising children, and retiring that someone can not afford to continue living there? I guess not. Such is life.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:00 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I agree, though hindsight is always easier.

Had SS never been gutted by congress, we would all be looking at a different scenario.

I do not doubt that today folks who are receiving SS may be finding that they simply can not afford to maintain their accustomed standards of living.

However there do exist other places where anyone can travel to where the cost-of-living is lower. If I were to find myself in such a position I would move.

Nothing in life is 'fair'.

Is it 'fair' that after living in one city, and raising children, and retiring that someone can not afford to continue living there? I guess not. Such is life.
If someone gets $600/month from social security, for example, I don't know where they could live, no matter where they moved. And, moving is very, very expensive, in any case. I guess there will probably be more "retirement apartments" in the future, where they base your rent on your income. Otherwise, many of us will be walking the streets.

Not me, I have both ss and a pension, but many do not get pensions anymore. I'll do alright, one way or another. But, there are people who will be in severe poverty - in fact, I think it's 1/3 of elderly single women that are in poverty now.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:38 AM

30,703 posts, read 49,495,894 times
Quote:
If someone gets $600/month from social security, for example, I don't know where they could live, no matter where they moved. And, moving is very, very expensive, in any case. I guess there will probably be more "retirement apartments" in the future, where they base your rent on your income. Otherwise, many of us will be walking the streets.

Not me, I have both ss and a pension, but many do not get pensions anymore. I'll do alright, one way or another. But, there are people who will be in severe poverty - in fact, I think it's 1/3 of elderly single women that are in poverty now.
Thee are some folks who seem to be fairly happy with lower costs of living.

Consider the snow birds.

My father has very bad arthritis, for a few years he lived as a 'snow bird', in a travel trailer. He would winter at 'slab city'.

In Southern California, Arizona, NM, and Nevada are various areas where the US Air Force has left behind slabs of concrete. Some times over a mile on each side. 'Slab City' is one where the slab has two sides of over ten miles in length.

It is a seasonal community. In the summer, it is deserted. In the winter it has a population of over 100,000 people.

Trailers arrive and form rows. Some people come with 'water buffalos' [a single axle trailer with a water tank mounted on it] to top off everyone's potable water tanks. Retirees from all walks of life are there. Mechanics with a tow-behind trailer filed as machine shops, Welders, etc. Trailers set up as greenhouses producing fresh fruits and veggies. They setup churches, ...

There are no fees. You barter or you can purchase what you need.

Then as summer approaches and it gets too hot, folks leave. Until by mid-summer everyone is gone and the wind blows sand and tumble weeds entirely across the slab once again.

During the period when my father was snow-birding, he went through three wives from among fellow snow-birds. It is my understanding that their cost-of-living was below $300/month to support a couple.

Summer months they would move North, and visit friends. Parking next to a friend's house for a couple weeks, then moving on to visit another friend.

Their summers cost more than did their winters.

Eventually my father has gotten better drugs, and he settled onto a farm in Missouri. Where he travels every six weeks down to Mexico for his arthritis treatments.

He was snow birding from early 1980s, until around 2005.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,838,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Consider the snow birds.
I have some friends who used to do that. They liked this place in the California desert (maybe it was slab city). Anyway, they loved it. Last year they moved the trailer to a national forest called Prince William Park. Living there lets them be near family members in Washington DC. They've worked out some sort of deal with the park. They get free rent and use of facilities in exchange for doing some light jobs around the park. They live happily on next to nothing.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:43 PM

55,686 posts, read 74,680,484 times
giant sucking sound. kidults are hidiously unprepared for what comes next.
not all lessons are learned in a painless and dignified manner.
see those hard working mexican people out there picking lettuce that us in
15 years.
ps don't bother to bring your skateboard you won't need it.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-01-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,361,982 times
Quote:
If someone gets $600/month from social security, for example, I don't know where they could live, no matter where they moved. And, moving is very, very expensive, in any case. I guess there will probably be more "retirement apartments" in the future, where they base your rent on your income.
You are right... I know several widows that only have a meager SSI check each month for income. I was able to help 2 of them get established in Section 8 senior housing where no more than 30% of their income goes to shelter.

Another widow lives with one of her children and helps out with her new Granddaughter... she had never heard about low income senior housing, but for now is very happy to be living with her daughter and son in law...

Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times
If you look around many young people like single mothers are getting alot more than many older retired peolple on social security.Even alot of the young working are not paying income taxes and getting unearned incomecredit.Alot of the federal housing is occupied by people who could but refuse to wrok unless it is job where the income is not reported.IMO; although I don't need it ;I believe that we need to be building alot more assisted living units for the elderly and not mix the younger people in with them.I see this too much where the elderly become victims of the young living in these units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement