U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 06:32 PM

955 posts, read 1,956,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
This question is for anyone else who retired before age 60.

So I am wondering if others who chose early retirement feel, or are made to feel, uncomfortable or somehow 'guilty' about it at times?
No, never felt guilty. Just got bored. Missed the excitement, challanges, mental areobics and more. Happily back to a full schedule. Maybe when I turn 75 I'll think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 10:02 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,991,715 times
I noticed that this is an old thread but I'd like to respond, anyway.

People who can't understand the concept of retiring, early or otherwise, have one of the following issues:
  • They are workaholics themselves, can't imagine others not being the same.
  • They think that retiring is only for "the old"; therefore, people should 'keep moving' until they reach Medicare age.
  • They can't handle the concept of being bored off their minds; they know they don't have enough interests to keep themselves active.
I want to retire in two more years when I'm 58. I don't think I'll be able to do it because of healthcare. However, I count down the weeks to keep my hopes flowing.

I'm just plain tired of working, Period. Tired of the routine. And I so much look forward to resuming my art work. I've not been active in it for several decades because I'm one of those who needs a lot of solitude for it (never was a good juggler). I miss my creative side.

I've got about 3 years of reading materials to go through. I want to learn to sew (yes). I'd like to travel a little more, if finances allow it. And, by damn it, I'll admit without shame that if I want to plop my ass down onto the couch to enjoy an episode of trash tv ~ I'll do it guilt-free!

I may check into some charity work.

First thing I'll do is get rid of half my clothes. I won't need them all anymore, that will be a freeing experience. Paring down just a little bit. Simplifying.

There are COUNTLESS things of interest in the world ~ physical, mental, spiritual, big, small, educational, entertaining. . . There is NO excuse for anybody to be bored, ever. It's simply a matter of seeking it out.

Too, Americans have a tendency to think that it's a Cardinal Sin to let ourselves get a little bored once in awhile. Relaxing, enjoying the moment of 'nothing', is almost classified as a mental leave of absence. Well, I tend to think that this frenzied need to go, go, go every second of the day is NOT healthy to one's mind or body.

To those of you who retired early and are digging it, I envy you and hope to join your ranks before I'm 60.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:52 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Retired 7 years ago at 55, and absolutely do NOT feel any guilt in doing so.

Now I wonder how I ever had time to do anything and work, as my days are full and I still wish I had more time. My career was in technology, and I do teach that technology at a local community college, help a friend run his saw mill, spend time with grandsons, and "stuff".

Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 PM

795 posts, read 2,082,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
This question is for anyone else who retired before age 60.

I retired five years ago at age 53, after working fulltime ever since age 18. My father died unexpectedly in 2001 and I inherited his house, life insurance and retirement policies, et cetera. I decided to sell his house plus my own, because I'd fallen in love with an "older house with great character" (this is a euphemism for "Money Pit", by the way; I see elsewhere on the forum there's a young man who believes he can purchase an older home for $50,000 and spend no more than $2000 on repairs and improvements – he certainly is in for a rude awakening!) which I subsequently bought and spent almost three years restoring and repairing.

All of my friends, family and acquaintances are, however, still working full-time. I am the only one who has retired and at every social gathering someone ALWAYS asks the dreaded question: "So, what are you DOING with yourself nowadays? Are you WORKING?" in the tone of voice that implies rather "Are you still being a layabout, or have you decided to return to doing something productive?" During the years I was restoring the house, I at least had that "excuse", but it is now finished. I get the unmistakable sense that people feel there is no earthly reason why a healthy single childless 58-year-old woman of education and reasonable intelligence should not be still in the workforce… other than sheer laziness or irresponsibility, that is, neither of which has ever been the case. I have sometimes felt guilty enough to actually lie and say that I am doing temporary-employment work! That always results in a response of "Oh really? That's very nice" and the conversation turns elsewhere; but if I instead evade the question by answering "Oh, this and that", it continues on into more of a third-degree investigation: "But what exactly do you DO with all that free time?" There are times when I am tempted to reply "None of your bloody business" but of course I never do…

So I am wondering if others who chose early retirement feel, or are made to feel, uncomfortable or somehow 'guilty' about it at times?
NO! NO! and NO!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:07 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
I feel guilty every day that I think about going back to work. Fortunately that has only happened for a brief 5 minutes in the year I have been retired. Every week is like a vacation week with no going back to work the next day in it.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:05 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,640,161 times
why would I feel guilty about making the right career choices in life while others laughed at me....retired at 49 and loving it...God bless any one else that can retire....life is to darn short...enjoy..

Old 12-21-2008, 08:59 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,868,233 times
Can't say I retired, exactly, as I do free-lance writing for magazines and Web sites and write fiction and non-fiction, but I DID retire from the corporate rat-race, moved to a small town, do more community work and feel, rather than retired--"Re-Fired Up'...never felt more vibrant, involved, creative and content...guilty--about what?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:50 PM

96 posts, read 296,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
yes,,,zero guilt...paid my dues...and earned mine the old fashioned way..
hard work and determination ...having a plan and a goal...
I had a friend once tell me: "you are my hero" She was talking about my ability to travel, relax on the beach, read, and take life easy...day after day after day....with no need to be productive. I can't say what tomorrow will bring, BUT....I do know that for now, I'm content to just be.... I worked for 30 years as a teacher and a counselor, and I know I made a contribution. Now, I'm taking some time for me....

Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM

7,983 posts, read 11,667,446 times
I'm not retired (hm..should I try to make you feel guilty? Nah. I'm jealous though)
but I often have this thought
Conversation.......
"well we are just so busy!"

Are they complaining or are they bragging? Personally I think "they" are often bragging.
If people didn't want to be so busy, they could choose not to be.

We can't all choose when we want to retire, life does trip up the best laid plans - but don't feel guilty.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 PM

96 posts, read 296,450 times
Lincoln said: "We all are about as happy as we decide to be"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or