U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:08 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,253,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
My father retired early and it hurt him. He used to tell anyone who would listen how happy he was not working but would always be talking about how wonderful his job and career was and would always talk about the past and his career success. He lived for the past and really did not have a sense of purpose once he retired.

When I retire I want to work part time teaching and have a long list of things to keep me busy.

I was unemployed for awhile and would go to the Mall and see all these old men sitting in the same chair watching everyone walk by. They looked alone and bored. I use to wonder if they were important people once who had lots people hanging on their every word. Now in retirementl, they were all alone.

What happens is some people end up working all their lives and by the time they retire at a much older age they may not be physically fit to do some of the things they thought they might enjoy if they had the time. When your much younger you think of all of these great things your going to do when you retire and do not have just a few weeks vacation every year and that is typically spent w/ the family. You may want to take up a sport or hobby but if your worn out from working all those years you may not have the pep to do such not counting any physical problems that could get in the way that seem to pop up as we age. How many times have you seen a couple be just fine till their kids have left home and they are retired all of a sudden find they have nothing in common? It happens a lot. That is why it is so important that while we are young that we find hobbies, interests, sports that we enjoy and to get in them then and to find something that we can do as a couple. It takes setting time aside when you still have a full time job and kids at home but if you don't do it you will pay for it later. If my husband retired tomorrow I know the first few days would be spent w/ him around the house (ACK!!!). After that he would be out there swinging the golf club more often, dabbling w/ his cars (classic muscle cars), etc. He already has those interests and does do some w/ it now but not as much as he would like. Yet as long as he is IN them NOW it will make it that much easier for him to spend that much more time doing them when he has all that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
jjj

168 posts, read 747,498 times
Retired 2 years ago at age 50 and loving it. When people ask if it was a big adjustment for me I reply ..Yes, it was a difficult adjustment. But after 5 minutes I was just fine!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:48 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,671,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Have any of you had to decide to accept a lower pension rate for early retirement? If so, did you accept the lower pension or opt to wait?

I ask because my medical school pension is not being offered to me as an early retiree at its full level.
I took a 2% reduction for every year under 55.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:26 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,909,157 times
So can I assume you decided it was better to retire and enjoy life then wait for those 2%s?

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I took a 2% reduction for every year under 55.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,671,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
So can I assume you decided it was better to retire and enjoy life then wait for those 2%s?

Thanks for the reply!
Didn't even notice it since my pension has a yearly COLA provision. Since I retired in June of 2003, I've received a 8.75% increase in my checks.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:42 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,909,157 times
Yahoo was just promoting this article on retiring young, and best places to retire. If you missed it, here it is:

http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/Best_Places_to_Retire_Young.html (broken link)

Old 04-20-2007, 10:34 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Guilty, OMG no!

I lived well below my means for decades so I could buy my freedom. I earned it. No one gave me anything!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:26 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,517 times
No, I don't feel guilty, I had been with the same employer since I was 18 and retired at 49 during a govt' downsizing. I do regret I lined up a job with the airlines before I retired, as my plan was to earn a 2nd pension however small thru Delta Airlines. 9/11 erased that plan very fast, since I was laid off as they went into bankruptcy. I do not regret though after 31 years with the federal govt, I was ready to do something else even if it didn't pan out, I ended up finding something else and work part time and manage just fine, so no regrets.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:34 AM

60 posts, read 88,032 times
No we do not feel guilty for retiring early. As a federal government employee, we made our sacrifices along the way. We chose a lower salary over retirement security, and as yellowsnow says, we lived below our means for years.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:48 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,181,270 times
I would not at all feel guilty about retiring early. I envy anyone who is able to do this! Am looking for a way out of the slave labor workforce, have a little nest egg, and intend to do something very soon about getting out! Thanks for the inspiration!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or