U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Wow, talk about sour grapes! Anyone who tries to make you feel uncomfortable/guilty is very jealous of you!!

I say, Bravo! Enjoy your retirement!!

When people ask me "what are you up to?" I always respond, "as little as possible." I'm tired of coming up with excuses, trying to exaggerate the few things I AM doing, or flat-out lying by making up some crazy story (though this can be fun). Guilt is for those who have done wrong. Don't let their jealousy get to you.

Last edited by Waterlily; 12-02-2007 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: naughty word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:59 AM

5,438 posts, read 10,521,726 times
I'm not retired yet but I can. I'm 50 YOA and worked for the goverment for 30 years. Its great to see the different ages that people retired. I guess the guy that retired at the ripe old age of 32 wins the gold medal.LOL I probably will retire next year but the feeling of uncertainty is there. Will I(we) be happy, what if I don't like it, what happens if the money is not enough and so on. As for the jealousy part its extreme to most people that you talk to. Family and neighbors ask well what are you going to do, sit around all day. Lets face it most of society feels dissed that you (we) retired early and they have to worh until they are in the 60's. Well they will get over it someday I hope. Congrats to you all as I will be joining you shortly.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:47 PM

10,513 posts, read 10,331,299 times
Well I don't feel so bad, I've been retired since 1993 and just recently turned 60, my wife is retired also, she retired in 2000, and we both put in over 30 years at our jobs and through investments and wise money management over the past 30 some years we were able to retire quite comfortably, sold our house in Maryland in 2005 for quite a bit of profit and moved to Ohio, we are now living in an 11 room log cabin home on 5 1/2 acres in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountain and enjoying every bit of it, we do travel when we get the urge to, but other than that we are enjoying life, I had a wood shop for a hobby and keeps me out of trouble, my wife belongs to a quilting club which she enjoys very much. And I don't feel the least bit guilty about, life's too short, enjoy it while you can

Old 12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,847,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
..... Lets face it most of society feels dissed that you (we) retired early and they have to worh until they are in the 60's. Well they will get over it someday I hope. Congrats to you all as I will be joining you shortly.
Just to put my 2 cents in. I am 61 and will probably not retire 100% until I have to for health reasons. I enjoy my work AND the amenities that the salary brings. I hope I am enjoying life as much now as I will when I am "semi-retired". To those of you who retired early, I applaud you. If you are happy, and most of you sound like you are if you don't succumb to the trap of letting others bug you, you have nothing to feel guilty about. This is one guy who doesn't resent your success.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 17,928 times
I retired at 60; no guilt, but I couldn't stay that way. I was called to help out at a major newspaper in the East, and realized I still had lot to contribute. Now am working 2 days a week at an ad agency ... just right for me!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 AM

10,513 posts, read 10,331,299 times
I think the whole point behind this is to do whatever you think is the right thing to do without feeling guilty about it, if other people and family members make their little comments and snipes, so be it, eventually they will get there themselves if they have planned properly, if not they have nobody to blame but themselves, jealousy takes up too much valuable time to be worried about. If once you retire I would suggest that you have some sort of hobby to get involved in to take up the extra free time that you will have, whatever it may be. Some of you are semi-retired and have decided to go back to work for a few days during the week, nothing wrong with that. The point is, it's your retirement do with it as you please, you have earned it.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:24 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Wife and I will be retiring at the end of the year a couple of months of our 60th birthday. I am learning now to just tell people we are just doing what the magazine said.

You know the Money Magazine article on retiring young/early with the picture of the couple on the beach. Just doing what they said now excuse me we need to plan our next trip.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:41 AM

3,312 posts, read 2,303,260 times
I WISH I could retire early. I've done all the "right" things my whole professional life; work hard, save save save, live a modest lifestyle,gone to school to help my career prospects and all that .But due to company layoffs,job cuts (often cause merely by greed) I have found myself looking and hoping for a decent paying job, I can't even THINK of retirement now. Not a lot jobs out there that pay enough for a person to put in 20-25 yrs and retire. a lot of companies I see now get rid of their older workers before they have a chance to get to 25 years. to all those than Can hang it up early, by all means savor it, and be grateful, for there are a lot of us who work(ed) just as hard, and saved as much as possible, that can't even think for retirement.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM

15 posts, read 30,222 times
Honestly, I retired at 55 and thought that would be just fine for me.
One year later I am bored to teeth.
To many things I did not care about before.
Now I really want to go back for work
The problem is, not that many jobs, even part time, are available where I stay.
One advice to who wants to go for early retirement: Think it over and over and over….

Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 AM

33 posts, read 85,113 times
Default Ignore jealous people

My brother retired at 55 and it is killing me. Not that he is happy and persuing his interests, but that I can't. He chose the right field and worked hard. He deserves all he gets and I am so happy for him (but that does not stop my twinges of jealousy). I, on the other hand, did not choose well and I am paying the consequences. My brother, nor anyone else who retires early, does not owe anyone an explanation for what they are doing with their time. It's their time to do whatever they want -- even if its nothing. Don't feel guilty -- it's not your faut that other people can't or won't retire early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or