Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times

Advertisements

"So, what are you DOING with yourself nowadays? Are you WORKING?"

No, I'm relaxing, enjoying life, doing whatever I want whenever I want. Life is glorious! How about you?

I'd wager the questions would stop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,408 times
Default Hey redbeard5! Oklamoma is great for retirement.

I purchased a place on Grand Lake that I presently rent out, but plan to retire there in about 2 years. I have the same attitude as you do. But I will stay put in Oklahoma and maybe travel down to my fish camp on Toledo Bend Lake when it gets too cold. I grew up on a lake in Northern Minnesota and have been moving south ever since looking for another lake(s) to call home. Oklahoma folks are really great if you are a country boy at heart. I enjoyed your post.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
Not retired yet, but I will be, at 47 yrs old, in 38 months and 8 days. And unlike most of my co-workers that retire, I WILL NOT get another job. I plan on moving back to Oklahoma where I would be able to live very comfortably and not have to worry about money.

As far as plans for retirement, I already have a cross country motorcycle trip planned that will probably take 2 months to complete. I also have friends all across this great nation, so If I wake up in the morning and decide I want to go visit so and so, I'll pack up my bike and hit the road. I also plan on playing golf everyday! If I ever decided to get a job, to kill a few hours a week, it would be at a golf course so I could get free green fees. Other than that, I plan on sitting on my fat ass and chillin'.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:58 AM

188 posts, read 933,746 times
When they ask you what you do with all that free time, say "Whatever I want!" with a smile. How I look forward to the day I can say that!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:53 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
Feel guilty? No way! I will retire when I am 56. I will have worked at the same place for 30 years. Week after week, some weekends, working when I am home. After a year "off," I plan on working part-time at something low pressure and doing volunteer work.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:57 PM

192 posts, read 864,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Feel guilty? No way! I will retire when I am 56. I will have worked at the same place for 30 years. Week after week, some weekends, working when I am home. After a year "off," I plan on working part-time at something low pressure and doing volunteer work.
I so completely agree: The "low pressure" element is key!

I feel I've done my time, and I too was a workaholic -- cursed with an overactive work ethic, I suppose! I'd look at others who never gave work a single thought other than between 9-5, Mon-Fri, or whose philosophy was to never do a whit more than what was asked or required and think: How are they able to be that way? Sometimes I was quite envious.

As for my guilty feelings, they only pop up when I'm with family and certain friends; it's by no means a constant thing! Otherwise I do feel very fortunate. Sometimes that old work ethic does rear its head and whisper in my ear "You really COULD look for a part-time job now, you know" .... but it quickly gets pushed back down under the bushel where it belongs!

Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 AM

202 posts, read 833,819 times
You only live one life. Do what feels best for you and don't feel guilty for a single second. Heck, I am only 42 and would LOVE to be retired. My life is so busy with watching movies,playing with my dogs and doing stained glass art, that I don't have time to work hehe I will tell you that I only work two or three days a week and sometimes feel guilty but then again, I live a very modest lifestyle. No expensive cars,rarely dine out and no designer clothes or handbags,shoes,no vacations ect..but life is good cause I find that if I did what most of my friends were doing(working full time,kids,keeping up with the latest trends) I would be very unhappy.
Good luck to you

Old 04-04-2007, 10:47 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Retired at 54 from the Federal Govt. No sense of guilt at all. A little adjustment period the first few month after 34 years of attending many long meetings, discussing and analyzing budgets, preparing and reviewing metrics and proposing plans, but why feel guilty about leaving this stuff?

If you can afford to retire, and be financially independent, why concern yourself with the perception of others? Anybody who would resent this is foolish, you obviously were sufficiently lucky or a good planner to pull it off, and much of life does not have to do with work.

Much of work isn't really productive anyway if you think about it.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Retired at 54 from the Federal Govt. No sense of guilt at all. A little adjustment period the first few month after 34 years of attending many long meetings, discussing and analyzing budgets, preparing and reviewing metrics and proposing plans, but why feel guilty about leaving this stuff?

If you can afford to retire, and be financially independent, why concern yourself with the perception of others? Anybody who would resent this is foolish, you obviously were sufficiently lucky or a good planner to pull it off, and much of life does not have to do with work.

Much of work isn't really productive anyway if you think about it.
Me too. My agency had an early-out & buyout authority, so I took it and left 2 years early at 53. Never working again.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:16 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Have any of you had to decide to accept a lower pension rate for early retirement? If so, did you accept the lower pension or opt to wait?

I ask because my medical school pension is not being offered to me as an early retiree at its full level.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:00 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times
Default As long as you have a sense of purpose, its Ok

My father retired early and it hurt him. He used to tell anyone who would listen how happy he was not working but would always be talking about how wonderful his job and career was and would always talk about the past and his career success. He lived for the past and really did not have a sense of purpose once he retired.

When I retire I want to work part time teaching and have a long list of things to keep me busy.

I was unemployed for awhile and would go to the Mall and see all these old men sitting in the same chair watching everyone walk by. They looked alone and bored. I use to wonder if they were important people once who had lots people hanging on their every word. Now in retirementl, they were all alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement