U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM

28,202 posts, read 47,597,148 times

Advertisements

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Until two weeks ago, Ruth Ebert never had the slightest interest in the video games favored by her one and only granddaughter.

"I'm 82 years old, so I missed that part of our culture. Soap operas, yes. Video games, no," chirped Ebert, who recently started playing a tennis game on Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s new Wii video game console at the Virginia retirement community she calls home.

"It was funny, because normally I would not be someone who would do that," said Ebert, who picked up the console's motion-sensing Wiimote and challenged the machine to a match.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/fun.games/03/23/wii.retirees.reut/index.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 12:03 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,358,698 times
My father bought one for himself. They're fun. I think one of the benefits is that in enables you to sort of "play" competitive sports, being active, within the privacy of your own home and by yourself. I think a lot of older people WANT to do these things but are self-conscious of doing so in public by themselves due to their (lack of) skills, or because they have no one to play with, so I can see how it could really draw someone in. Good for them. At least it encourages a BIT of physical activity.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,383,531 times
I think its so attractive to 'older' people because you get to make a fool of yourslef playing it. I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot stick and most other serious gamers wouldnt either though.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:37 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,962,816 times
Default Yes you said most

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think its so attractive to 'older' people because you get to make a fool of yourslef playing it. I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot stick and most other serious gamers wouldnt either though.
I'm a serious gamer and I have one. It's much better than the sit on your ass kind. It's too fricken boring anymore to sit down have a controller in your hand and smash the buttons. Oh yes.. That is SO great.

I'm so tired of people go about the graphics, you want graphics buy a gaming PC. Simple. Careless about the blue ray garbage.

I'm also in my early 20's. I guess I'm a grandpa eh?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:40 AM

You could be grandpa, depends on what state youre living in lol!

Im not knocking it, if you like it you like it. Go ahead and play it. But any gamers i know dont like it, some bought it to realise they dont like it. I cant see it taking the world by storm is all. Well, not unless their advertising campaign is a bald headed britney spears beating the **** outta somebody in a fighting game, then it might take off.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:49 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,962,816 times
I can. It's not hard anymore when most people aren't physically active and then you get something like this and moving around, you just can't sit still so you stand up and move around. Most people don't like because it doesn't have smash the button games 1600834934 times to win a battle, and when you're done with that one you do the same to the next boss.

Most of my friends want one, because they are still selling like hot cakes here. It's not the fact of graphics for a lot of people anymore. It's game play. There is only so much you can do with smashing 2 or 3 different buttons at the same time to get a killer combo in. There is really only one game that I care about that's coming out. That is Unreal 2007. Oh and Halo 3 . Other than that, Sony can cram it because Enix ruined the final fantasy series, Microsoft can cram it. And until Lucas Arts releases their light saber game for the Wii, Nintendo can cram it as well. You don't make a system and then have sh***y games. That's why my favorite system of all time went out so fast. Sega Dreamcast destroyed the competition, but everyone stopped making games for it! That ticked me off. I don't like the direction any of them are going because the games are getting too fricken expensive for the lack of play time. but that's okay, you can see blood squirt and shadows and their faces look like real. I'll stick to Half Life 2 it's got all the action, it's not wicked short. And it's fun to throw things with the Gravity Gun.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:02 AM

I still play Medal of Honor: Allied Assault with my clant, COD2 also so thats what i like.
The Wii really dosent appeal to me. I mean, i could buy one, but i know im not going to like it. That style of gaming looks like itd go down a treat in Asia, just not my living room

Any, work is over for the night so ill see yous tommorow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or