Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times

Advertisements

Oh boy - we got the call. My FIL was injured, fell off his bike 10 miles from home, broke his hip, now awaiting surgery. We had just walked out of Easter Sunday service/teaching Sunday school. We had asked him to attend with us but 5 hours at church is long for some - some of that is prep time but what would he do? So, he went for a bike ride on his own (1 hour away from us).

My husband needs to work 18 hours a day right now (tax time). We spent 5 hours today at a hospital with his dad.

He seems agreeable now to moving. Should we push now under these circumstances? Is that a sneaky way to do it? This is exactly the scenario I was worried about. He does not wear a helmet when biking also which also bothers us.

He is 86, almost 87. Anyone been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Havent been there but am very sorry to hear about your FIL's misfortune, hopefully the surgery and rehab will go well. Actually, it might be the perfect time to move as he seems OK w/ the idea, selling/buying will take a while anyway, is there a 55+ neighborhood he would be happy with near you - ? THat way, he'd still be independent, would also be busy and mobile and would have something to look forward to once he's ready to leave the rehab. Would definitely get him a helmut and stress to him that he must wear it if he goes bike riding again (stress it to him til you sound like a broken record, actually, sounds like he needs to hear it no matter how receptive he is to it) - but a better scenario might be a golf cart in a 55+ neighborhood, would look for a good-size 55+ neighborhood where there's lots of activities, physical and non-physical he can choose from, that he can enjoy. Best wishes to all.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Smile Thanks for the idea!

I would love the 55 plus idea for him but he does not like any kind of a HOA - wants just a single family home with a yard. We have such a community right near us; we will have to look for a short sale. His current home needs a lot of updating so we are probably looking at 150K tops. What a shame.

I am hoping he will be in rehab for at least a month; that will give us time; if not, we are sunk.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Wait and see how the rehab goes. At his age, recovery could be very slow. It's hard to tell at this point what will happen. He may just need to go into some sort of long term rehab center. don't push it just yet. He may decide on his own that he needs to move. Just play it slow and easy for a couple of weeks. (but keep looking for something suitable)

Old 04-12-2009, 11:19 PM

Smile The rehab....

He is 86 but takes 20 mile bike rides every other day. This is his first fall but he was on a different route. He is in great shape!

He broke his other hip in 2005 but was up & running in 3 months! We could not believe it, actually! (He fell off a table at a doctor's office when he left unattended for a few hours!)

I'm sure we will take it slow but I feel this is an opportunity to get him closer and I feel like he wants it too.

My husband and I are very respectful of his wishes and that's why we have not done anything thus far, however, since my husband is his only child, I think it is time to be more involved.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:11 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Take your chance when it presents itself. If he is located in the same town during his rehab, it will be easier for all of you. Since he doesn't have old friends anymore, it is a good time to make the move and his injury is the catalyst for a change. Go for it. It sounds like you are not taking over but rather just getting him close. Hope he recovers well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement