U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:56 PM

345 posts, read 894,694 times

Advertisements

Just wondered about people's opinions about what are the friendliest small cities and or towns in the south. Also, (I know this is really general) but how about states?

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? (I'm originally from the south but it's been a LONG TIME and I'm looking to move back in that part of the U.S.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 PM

3,859 posts, read 6,870,889 times
Arkansas might be a good bet. Someday I'd like a little property on the lake myself.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Arkansas might be a good bet. Someday I'd like a little property on the lake myself.
Thanks for the feedback!! Any other opinions, anyone???

Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 PM

5,167 posts, read 8,691,075 times
Smile Tennesse small towns/cities

Around Knoxville
Johnson City area

Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 PM

326 posts, read 674,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Around Knoxville
Johnson City area
I'd go with Knoxville, but Johnson City is so far away from an airport. It's hard to visit friends /relatives or for them to visit you. I have an older friend who live there. I really want to visit her often. But it's just plain hard - air tickets are expensive plus car rental and the time wasted on the road. I love the area though.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 PM

If you like Texas, Bastrop and Smithville are great. Small, friendly, close to medical facilities, and low cost (very low cost) compare with some other cities and states.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,886,109 times
One of the main reasons I love Knoxville is the people. So pleasant and helpful. Just a friendly place to be. Add in good weather, gorgeous setting, major university and cheap living and it's perfect -- at least for me.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
One of the main reasons I love Knoxville is the people. So pleasant and helpful. Just a friendly place to be. Add in good weather, gorgeous setting, major university and cheap living and it's perfect -- at least for me.
Indeed, they are among the most pleasant and helpful people in the country, and probably in the world.

I got lost a couple of years ago, due to the closeout of part of the I40. I asked a couple directions in McDonald. The gentleman was so nice, he didn't want to just tell me the directions and send me off (he probably could tell that I was from out of state), he took the time and drew a detailed map to direct me to the area I was looking for. I would have got lost again without his map. That town and its people are just wonderful.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
Indeed, they are among the most pleasant and helpful people in the country, and probably in the world.

I got lost a couple of years ago, due to the closeout of part of the I40. I asked a couple directions in McDonald. The gentleman was so nice, he didn't want to just tell me the directions and send me off (he probably could tell that I was from out of state), he took the time and drew a detailed map to direct me to the area I was looking for. I would have got lost again without his map. That town and its people are just wonderful.
Thank you all for your thoughts!! Interesting that there are more than a few Knoxville replies. I've been torn (for months now) between Lynchburg, VA, Chattanooga, TN and Knoxville. Knoxville seems to be Number 1 for me at this point!!!

Thanks all!! Keep the opins coming.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:10 PM

1,663 posts, read 2,264,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post

I had this same scenario happen to me when we were visiting Chattanooga last October. The folks there are the best!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement