U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-04-2009, 04:48 PM

1,998 posts, read 5,917,020 times
Great idea!
I've read over and over that New Mexico was a great place for allergy sufferers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-04-2009, 06:05 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,163,042 times
Cool I have seasonal allergies

I lived for 40 years in tropical Miami Florida and had NO allergies (except for dust, perfume, certain foods).

Only after moving to the west coast with 4 seasons did I experience seasonal (spring) allergies to pollen or whatever was flying around in the air - from trees, plants, smoke from burning Some years are worse than others, and I only take Allegra when I'm really desperate but I can't wait until summer and fall when my nose stops running!

Unread 05-05-2009, 07:16 AM

3,517 posts, read 7,977,005 times
I heard a segment recently from Allergy studies. They said the typical arc for allergy sufferers is they move to a new place and are much better. But in 5 years, they have become sensitized to the new locality and start suffering again.

So I guess the only real plan is move every 4 years.

Achooo!

Unread 05-05-2009, 04:18 PM

1,998 posts, read 5,917,020 times
ConeyIsBabe: What area of the West did you move to if you don't mind me asking?
It took me 7 years to develop allergies in Houston, but it wasn't really bad until I was there about 14 years...then it was horrid during Springtime primarily. And ragweed...ooooh no fun at all!

Unread 05-06-2009, 04:37 PM

12,938 posts, read 8,426,036 times
I had a friend who never had an allergy in her life until she visited Santa Fe New Mexico. Then she couldn't stop sneezing! It wasn't a cold either. I think there is no garauntee wherever you go.

Unread 07-25-2009, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,039 times
I have Lupus and live in Florida, this weather is not for anyone with allergies , arthritis, lupus and all the things that go with it, fibromyalgia. I am looking to move out west where it is dry and will help with Lupus/arthritis. Anyone have any great suggestions?

Unread 07-25-2009, 12:26 PM

4,647 posts, read 7,604,474 times
I have severe arthritis and tendinitis to the point where I have trouble walking. I have lived in the Denver area for over 30 years; I am originally from New York. When the weather is hot and dry, I have less pain. I can tolerate cold and dry. When it is wet and raining; or cold and wet; or high humidity, I have the worse pain and swelling.

Denver is on the high plains and it is semi-arid. So most days are dry with low humidity. I can get hot in the summer but it does cool down in the evening because it is at a high altitude. However, it does have four seasons and can have some wet weather.

I have found that the best areas in the southwest are in the high deserts. Areas near Albuquerque and Las Cruces would be ideal. That is because it has much less moisture than Denver; these areas being a true desert environment. It gets much hotter here than Denver but being a high desert it cools off at night, and has some cool days during the winter. This would be much better than the low deserts in the area of Phoenix because it stays much hotter longer and does not cool off, as much.

I do have seasonal allergies. The southwest has been much better for allergies and arthritis many more years ago. Unfortunately, with higher populations people want irrigated landscaping with more reservoirs. This has brought more plants, more trees and consequently more allergens, and the humidity increase which is not good for arthritis. This has drastically changed the micro-climates of the some traditional deserts regions of Southern California, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico Nevada and parts of West Texas.

There are advantages to moving to bigger metropolitan areas because of services, especially medical services and public transportation as you get older. When I moved to Colorado when I was younger, I did not have the severe problems I have today. Today, if I had these problems and wanted to move, I would choose a smaller city in the high plains of the desert Southwest. Again, because of the cooler weather at night, much lower humidity; and most importantly away from the changes to the micro-climate that are caused by a larger population. Perhaps I would look into cities in New Mexico like Las Cruces , Clovis, or Roswell. Maybe some areas near Albuquerque will work.

Livecontent

Unread 07-25-2009, 07:59 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,163,042 times
Cool TootsieWootsie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
ConeyIsBabe: What area of the West did you move to if you don't mind me asking?
It took me 7 years to develop allergies in Houston, but it wasn't really bad until I was there about 14 years...then it was horrid during Springtime primarily. And ragweed...ooooh no fun at all!
Sorry, I didn't see your post until now... but to answer your question - I live in the Rogue Valley area (Grants Pass, Medford) southern Oregon, etc. and this year has been the WORST in allergy suffering, since moving here 6 years ago. (It's almost as bad as the spring I spent in the city of Napa CA when my allergy symptoms drove me to flee to Florida for a couple of months.)

After reading all the previous posts of how some people suffer in one location and others find relief in the same location, I'm beginning to think there is more to it -- perhaps it's the individual's immune system not working optimally, or perhaps our bodies change as we age, or perhaps ?? ?? I wish I knew ! I keep Allegra in my purse and try to only take it when absolutely necessary.

Unread 07-26-2009, 10:17 PM

4,647 posts, read 7,604,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Sorry, I didn't see your post until now... but to answer your question - I live in the Rogue Valley area (Grants Pass, Medford) southern Oregon, etc. and this year has been the WORST in allergy suffering, since moving here 6 years ago. (It's almost as bad as the spring I spent in the city of Napa CA when my allergy symptoms drove me to flee to Florida for a couple of months.)

After reading all the previous posts of how some people suffer in one location and others find relief in the same location, I'm beginning to think there is more to it -- perhaps it's the individual's immune system not working optimally, or perhaps our bodies change as we age, or perhaps ?? ?? I wish I knew ! I keep Allegra in my purse and try to only take it when absolutely necessary.
You are correct. It is very hard to determine the correct place because our body is changing all the time. So, when you are young, you may be fine in an area but when you age, you may not.

Perhaps you should not live in the same area your whole life; or in the same area for the whole year; or if you are rich enough, the same continent. Certainly, many people have multiple homes for different seasons.

I worked at the Plaza Hotel in NYC and the wealthy would move from one city to the next for the weather and the social seasons. Yes, the social seasons, from the south of France, to San Moritz, to Florida, to New York, to Paris, to Milan---ah, what a life.

Perhaps we do not need to be rich to do it. Just move, catch the next freight train, or drive your mobile home to the next destination, or cruise from one port to the next, or move from one hotel to another and another and another...

Livecontent

Unread 07-29-2009, 11:26 PM

39,492 posts, read 39,106,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Great idea!
I've read over and over that New Mexico was a great place for allergy sufferers.
That depends on the reason for the allergy. in very dry places the wind and dust can be a problem for many in new mexico.Like stated it really depends on what the allergic reaction is to. Its very common for people to have reactions to dust and that is very bad in dry ;hot climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement