U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 AM

182 posts, read 752,002 times

Advertisements

thanks, Jay and yes, i do know of people moving from Fl. to the Carolinas. the problem with that is that I'd be going by myself. Not sure I want to move to an area where I don't know anyone. I lived for 3 years in Fayetteville N.C. back in the early 80's ( ex husband military ) so I am somewhat familiar with the weather and geography and such. Thanks for the suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 11:02 AM

610 posts, read 2,981,230 times
Weary, I've found that the cold, cold north is nearly intolerable for aging folks like myself. The absolute pain of arthritis becomes nearly unbearable. It's a toss-up between the higher heat bills and staying with the higher air-conditioning bills - but winter is a bear.
If you're able, I'd make plans to summer up north and winter somewhere south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
This is kind of a crazy question but one I am trying to sort thru. My personal situation is that I am currently in central Fl. I have a daughter in Connecticut that is encouraging me to move up there.
There are pros and cons to both places and I was wondering if anyone out there faced a similar situation: to move closer to family or to stay in a "retirement friendly" area. I have time but am finding I am longing to find a place to settle. ( I am also waiting to see what this hurricane season brings us..... )
Thanks!

Old 04-19-2007, 11:12 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,912,931 times
RockyMtnr, have you found the best of two worlds? Is your area better year-round?

Having been in PA for 3 weeks I've recognized how painful the rising and falling of the barametre pressure can be, especially after having lived in a very dry climate for a year. It ain't fun, and all the OTC recommendations are palliative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Weary, I've found that the cold, cold north is nearly intolerable for aging folks like myself. The absolute pain of arthritis becomes nearly unbearable. It's a toss-up between the higher heat bills and staying with the higher air-conditioning bills - but winter is a bear.
If you're able, I'd make plans to summer up north and winter somewhere south.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:12 PM

80 posts, read 435,910 times
stormweary-

You'd be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't) at the number of single, divorced, or widowed women who contact us looking to make a fresh start in a new location. Sometimes maybe they need/want someone to bounce ideas off of or to give them assurance that they are making a good decision. A successful transition can be found in getting involved in the community, with social opportunities, with hobbies, with volunteering, etc.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:03 AM

thanks Rocky,
that IS a concern of mine and I am glad you brought it up. I have thought of becoming a "reverse" snowbird as the heat and humidity can be unbearable here ( central Fl.) during the summer but I'd like to settle in one place. HAD considered the southwest but again, I wouldn't know anyone and it would be a very different environment/culture/geography for me.
Something I am considering is to move and rent for a year or two in the northeast just to see how I fare.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:09 PM

77 posts, read 359,683 times
Hello Folks --

Have been reading the Austin forum because my partner and I are relocating/sliding into retirement there. Took a look at the other forums and found this one. Also saw a couple of posts from OregonRain, who had also posted in Austin, so, hello again, OR.

We are leaving New Orleans for Austin and retirement (kinda semi at first). Closing on a new home on May 30. (Not downsizing either, yikes! That move will be a killer!) Never planned to leave our beloved NOLA and fully intended to be taken out of our beautiful old restored home feet first with a toe tag. To us, it made little sense to spend all your adult lives developing friends and building community, only to chuck it all and retire somewhere else, where you don't know many folks. But, with much regret and a great deal of sadness, we have come to the realization that it is no longer our season in NOLA. Our beautiful, beloved, yet broken City needs pioneers, young folk with vision, energy, and a long time line to bring her back. We're tired -- ages 59 and 68 -- and we need stability of government, ready resources, good available medical care, and --yes -- minimized risk from natural (and manmade, thanks to the Army COE's negligent levee designs) disasters.

We are among the fortunate here, in that we had little wind damage from Katrina and no flooding. Our section of NOLA looks just about like it did pre-Katrina. But so many of our friends were not so fortunate. Several are in their 70s and a couple in their 80s. They are having to start over with inadequate insurance and a red-tape nightmare you simply would not believe even if I tried to explain it. I would not have that much grace or courage were I in their shoes. So, we've decided on a risk/reward analysis that we must leave NOLA, with much sorrow, and seek out a place where things work most of the time, where there is a cultural connection, where the weather won't chill our magnolia sap too much, and where we can find a progressive political and social atmosphere that is accepting of diversity and embraces learning and questions. In this latter category, we'd be more at home in the New England states as a lesbian couple, but we can't even consider the winters without getting chilled by the mere thought. So, we stay South for a primary base. My Texas Longhorn wants to go home, and Austin fits our needs.

We know we'll never forget NOLA (been here since '61 and '69) and in some way will probably mourn for a very long time if we stay focused on the life we planned here. But, we've decided (today, at least!) to focus on the new experiences we know await us. Also, we chuckle, we're glad we did not purchase a niche in our church's columbarium here in NOLA! Altho, you never know about New Orleanians . . . might just have to get those ashes back down here!

So, sorry for the rambling post, but just wanted to add a few thoughts about the reasons we chose Austin when we finally admitted that we could no longer retire in NOLA. Good luck to all on your retirement searches.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:19 AM

Romesq

Thank-you for your post. I have struggled with the notion of moving back home to nola and it helps to hear other people's reasons for staying or leaving. My mom is still there. She bought a small condo in Metairie ( she lost EVERYTHING in the storm) My intent was always to move back home after my wanderings but now, I just don't know. You've given me more food for thought.
Thanks, again

Old 05-01-2007, 06:39 AM

34,689 posts, read 33,695,295 times
What do you do in retirement that makes you happy and where can you do it best?

Consider that if you decide to stay put, you and your family can each get something for your PCs where you would be able to see each other when you talk on line.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 PM

9 posts, read 49,831 times
Move to seattle!

Old 05-18-2007, 10:53 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,205,353 times
I prefer the west coast. Good Luck in wherever you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or