Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:37 AM

182 posts, read 810,885 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a crazy question but one I am trying to sort thru. My personal situation is that I am currently in central Fl. I have a daughter in Connecticut that is encouraging me to move up there.
There are pros and cons to both places and I was wondering if anyone out there faced a similar situation: to move closer to family or to stay in a "retirement friendly" area. I have time but am finding I am longing to find a place to settle. ( I am also waiting to see what this hurricane season brings us..... )
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 01:29 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Hi Stormweary, I saw your note in the Grandparent thread, but thought I'd respond here.

I really think I change my mind weekly, sometimes daily, but if I had my druthers--read $$--I'd stick with my own idea of where I want to live and just visit more. I know already just visiting here, now two weeks into it, that I really don't want to be an "extension" of my child's life and for whatever reason that how it feels to live in her/their town, and not a place that would even vaguely cross my mind otherwise.

I'll will be thinking of it for the rest of the time I'm here (4 weeks) but I am heading up North then.

I just can't have it!

And PS - I was meaning to send you a PM. We started a thread in General US about artist towns, and I wanted you to join us--of course

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...eck-woods.html

Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 PM

thanks onthroad!
I have had similar thoughts about moving to "her" town. Its just that I truly enjoy being with her and being close to art meccas such as NYC and Boston, well.... it is tempting. But beyond that, I realize I need to find what is best for me. If it weren't for the hurricanes, I'd probably be thinking more about staying here. You'd think growing up along the gulf coast I'd be used to it but after the last few seasons, I just don't know anymore.
Thanks for the link to art towns. I'll check it out!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:55 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,818 times
I guess you have to really ask yourself,how much you really like Florida and how much of the threat of huricannes you are willing to put up year after year, However it only seems to be that recently the storms became such a problem there though, that is something to think about also. I have wondered though the posts on here for florida show a strong dislike for the state, it seems worse than California. You may find you will continue living in Florida and maybe spend more time up north visiting, if you can manage that anyway. My sense is you don't really want to leave Florida, you like your space there, and its just those darn huricannes. Try another year there or so, see how the next huricanne season goes, I think for me, if it was going to be a yearly problem with more and more storms hitting the state, I would take that as more than a huricanne threat and then I would not live there.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM

It's interesting that you picked up that stormweary might want to stay in Florida, Oregonrain.

SW, I wonder if this is correct, if you are somehow fighting against what serves you?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:16 AM

Its hard to explain. In my "plan" I was eventually going to move back to New Orleans(I am originially from there) to "retire" but recent visits to n.o. have convinced me that this is not feasible for me. Florida was just a stop along the way. Then my daughter at Christmas said she'd love for me to live closer to her. Never considered it before now. she and I get along great, she is a wonderful daughter and I miss her.
SO, in a sense it boils down to weather and taxes in a way. Do I want to live in an area that is prone to storms, is warm to hot most of the time but compared to Ct. is probably cheaper to live ( some would argue it isn't...) OR do I move to where I face snow and higher taxes but be closer to a family member and be close to cultural amenities that I was used to living in New Orleans?

I realize that my daughter has her own life and that she could get a job offer somewhere else BUT she is marrying a boy from there and all his family is still in the area.

I have asked myself what is it I want and well, I wanted to go back home but that is just not possible, at least, not now for me.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:02 PM

It is a conundrum! I for one not only totally understand, but empathize as I am in a similar but not identical situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
Its hard to explain. In my "plan" I was eventually going to move back to New Orleans(I am originially from there) to "retire" but recent visits to n.o. have convinced me that this is not feasible for me. Florida was just a stop along the way. Then my daughter at Christmas said she'd love for me to live closer to her. Never considered it before now. she and I get along great, she is a wonderful daughter and I miss her.
SO, in a sense it boils down to weather and taxes in a way. Do I want to live in an area that is prone to storms, is warm to hot most of the time but compared to Ct. is probably cheaper to live ( some would argue it isn't...) OR do I move to where I face snow and higher taxes but be closer to a family member and be close to cultural amenities that I was used to living in New Orleans?

I realize that my daughter has her own life and that she could get a job offer somewhere else BUT she is marrying a boy from there and all his family is still in the area.

I have asked myself what is it I want and well, I wanted to go back home but that is just not possible, at least, not now for me.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 PM

and yes, ontheroad, Fl. serves me fairly well but.. again hard to put into words... there is something lacking here for me... its a feeling
I do plan to stay here at least until the end of hurricane season to see how things go. They keep saying that there will be more storms and stronger ones and, well, after seeing the destruction Katrina caused I just don't think I want to settle in such an area. BUT as I tell myself, no place is perfect so I wait and write, gather opinions and insights and weigh everything. I am glad I have the luxury to do this.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 PM

I'm glad to hear your have the luxury to wait, weigh and evaluate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
and yes, ontheroad, Fl. serves me fairly well but.. again hard to put into words... there is something lacking here for me... its a feeling
I do plan to stay here at least until the end of hurricane season to see how things go. They keep saying that there will be more storms and stronger ones and, well, after seeing the destruction Katrina caused I just don't think I want to settle in such an area. BUT as I tell myself, no place is perfect so I wait and write, gather opinions and insights and weigh everything. I am glad I have the luxury to do this.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:12 PM

80 posts, read 461,652 times
I don't know if you've heard of this or if this would be an option, but quite a number of former Florida residents with families in the Northeast have been moving to the Carolinas. It seems that the congestion, hurricanes, and cost of living are motivating them as well. I've even heard that the terms "halfbackers" or "J-turners" have been coined for this group which moved to Florida and then went halfway back up the coast. Anyway, it might be something to consider- where you could be an easier drive from family but then also develop the lifestyle you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement