Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 PM

26 posts, read 66,004 times

Advertisements

I know someone who is in their mid 50's single woman. She lives at 55+ senior apartment, barely making enough to cover her rent($725 lowest it can get in this town) and bills. Retiring isn't possible for her since she has no savings. Her only family is her two grown up kids but they're not able to take her in. My concern is her getting laid off from her current job, leaving her with no income. Is there any government programs that help out seniors in similliar situation as hers? Any information is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,657,108 times
Check out this website:
Senior Citizens' Resources: USA.gov

Old 04-23-2009, 06:38 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,237,632 times
The program is called Social Security.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:10 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,972,170 times
Unfortunately she is too young to qualify for Social Security. If she is working full time, she will hopefully qualify for unemployment benefits, food stamps, and depending on your state, subsidized health insurance. I'm not clear whether she is currently receiving subsidized rent. If not, she should probably be looking into HUD's Section 8 program.

BTW, many retired women of 65+ years are poor and need to rely on family members for financial assistance. A $700 +/- social security check just does not cut it.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 AM

14,302 posts, read 14,550,690 times
I guess I don't understand why the high rent? There are usually senior apartments where the rent paid is based on your income. The 700+ rent I wouldn't want to pay it and my social security will be a decent amount plus pension.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM

I don't know where you're from susancruzs but where I live, $700 is cheap (in a not so nice neighborhood) and it's only possible because it is a senior apartment. I don't know much about senior apartments. I would love to find a place where the rent is based on her income. As for social security, don't think she put much if at all so not counting on that either. Thank you for your replies!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:11 PM

Oh, and btw she insists on living here to be closer to her son.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,640,299 times
She should be able to find a place with rent based on income. Check HUD's site:
Senior Citizens - HUD
If she lost her job, she would probably qualify for SSI.
Social Security Online - Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
And she should definitely apply for food stamps.
FNS Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/ - broken link)

Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,935,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedViolin View Post
I don't know where you're from susancruzs but where I live, $700 is cheap (in a not so nice neighborhood) and it's only possible because it is a senior apartment. I don't know much about senior apartments. I would love to find a place where the rent is based on her income. As for social security, don't think she put much if at all so not counting on that either. Thank you for your replies!
You have hit the nail on the head regarding income and cost of living. If she lives in one of the more expensive areas of the country housing is very expensive and being poor much more a problem. Just like on the opposite end, 250K is rich in some areas and not so rich in others. The problem as presented is a very real one that is impacting Americans across the board and bringing family members back together under one roof.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:11 PM

250 posts, read 736,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You have hit the nail on the head regarding income and cost of living. If she lives in one of the more expensive areas of the country housing is very expensive and being poor much more a problem. Just like on the opposite end, 250K is rich in some areas and not so rich in others. The problem as presented is a very real one that is impacting Americans across the board and bringing family members back together under one roof.

I completely agree with you. Alas there are many older women, who for whatever reason, have only social security to fall back on in their later years. And not everyone has family to move in with either at this stage of life.

Also $700 would be considered a low rent in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement