Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:33 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times

Advertisements

I don't even think that you could rent one room for that here on Long Island.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,366 times
Default A suggestion

How about finding other people to live with in a communal type of setting? There seem to be more and more "older folks" getting together and sharing a place/house. I think it's a great idea and a way to have a community and not get lonely, too!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM

326 posts, read 764,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
How about finding other people to live with in a communal type of setting? There seem to be more and more "older folks" getting together and sharing a place/house. I think it's a great idea and a way to have a community and not get lonely, too!
Great idea! I'll remember that when I retire. It starts to look like I don't need so much savings for retirement with all these good ideas posted here. I have started a list. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:08 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,609,976 times
I know rents are high but there are programs to get in a place based on what you can afford. I had a friend in Illinois that could not afford rent anywhere and she was able to get in a nice building paying a small percentage of her ss. She does use food stamps, too but she gets by. She does live where she can walk to stores as she cannot afford her car anymore.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,050 times
Some great suggestions here. Communal living situations are indeed becoming more popular for the 50 plus set as the one poster mentioned. Sometimes even finding a roommate of similar age and interests can help. This, together with applying for government assistance should at least help this woman. How very kind of you to be concerned for this woman!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
There is always section 8 rental that charge by income. There is also food stamps;medicaid and others for the poor.I would look for a senior citizens ceneter as many have specailist that deal in just this and can even arrange transportation to doctor appointments, meals on wheels ;it goes on and on depending on the need and particulars of the case.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM

26 posts, read 66,062 times
Thank you guys for all the great ideas. As for rental that goes by her income, well...I was told she has to be 62 years old to be on the waiting list. Waiting period is approx. 2years. As for section 8...well that takes 2+ years as well. Definitely things she can look into and make plans. I haven't thought about food stamps and communal living. Thanks all!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 PM

26 posts, read 66,062 times
Grrr...says she may not be eligible for food stamps cause her income's too high? How is that possible with her making $1,200/month before taxes. To solve her problem, she needs a wonderful guy!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:43 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
I'm nowhere near retirement age (saw the thread listed on the main page and it caught my eye) but to some degree at this particular time (meaning now or in the next couple of years) isn't her issue more of a "what do people do when they have no money and lose their job" kind of question and not necessarily an "old" person question? She still has some years left before social security kicks in, but at least for now she's also covered by the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, so at least legally her age shouldn't get in the way of getting another job should she lose her current one. Granted, there are not many jobs out there at the moment, but that's impacting everyone, not just older people. It's smart to investigate what age-related options are out there, for both now as well as for the future, but it sounds like perhaps most of the government assistance programs won't necessarily be connected to age. There's unemployment benefits, too, which should help at least a little.

On a side note, related to what susancruzs said above about her friend who walked everywhere because she didn't have a car, is that something that might also apply to your friend? You mention that your friend lives in a 55+ complex; while I know those exist in the heart of the city, it also seems that many such places for whatever reason are built in very pedestrian or public transportation-unfriendly locations. I know not everyone agrees with this, but I think an urban neighborhood (or maybe just any walkable neighborhoood) is the ideal place for an older person; my great-grandmother was able to live alone until her 90s thanks to being able to walk to the store and take the bus to church, the senior center, and her other other regular destinations. If your friend does have a car, and had the ability to move somewhere where she didn't need it, she could potentially sell it and save a huge amount of money.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedViolin View Post
Grrr...says she may not be eligible for food stamps cause her income's too high? How is that possible with her making $1,200/month before taxes. To solve her problem, she needs a wonderful guy!
If that is all she gets then she doesn't pay taxes. She also may have other income;savings etc.As to the urban neighborhoods I thnik they make the same choices just for teh same reason that home buyers choose not to live there. mainly safety.

Last edited by texdav; 04-24-2009 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement