Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:08 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,957,380 times

Advertisements

It would be wonderful if our taxes provided adequate social services for those in need, but they do not. As a former public benefits attorney, I can promise you that in most, if not all states, there is very little assistance available for these folks. As suggested by one poster, cash assistance is only available for those parents with minor children. (And BTW, with few exceptions, there is a work requirement for these parents.) Applicants for Section 8 assistance usually must wait at least 2 years (sometimes 8 years!) for housing. Medical Assistance is only available for those receiving SSI. SSI is only available to those who are indigent AND determined to be disabled by the Social Security Administration. Those disabled folks who worked at jobs paying more than minimum wage AND paid into Social Security will receive disability payments but will not be eligible for Medicare until they have been disabled for TWO years or reach full retirement age.
(Many states now provide a separate health insurance for these people.) Food Stamps are different and with this economy, applications are increasing at a fast pace. Energy Assistance is another program that helps a little.

As an aside, food stamps are great - but they won't pay your rent or heating bill. So, unfortunately, I had a few clients charged with food stamp fraud when they sold some of their stamps to pay to have the heat turned back on. Bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,904,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Well, if the average American child output is 2.2 per woman, and likely modern families are two kids, max... People move for college, military, opportunity, lack of opportunity. Not everyone has relatives nearby. The old formula of family together involved more people and less mobility.
I am one of typical two kids. I have no kids (by choice). My sister lives where we are from, some 300 miles away. She has two grown kids, one nearby, one in California.
My father lives alone in that area, and I have continually told him if he wants to move in with me, he's welcome. He's 84, lives in a tiny trailer, and walks everywhere, including to a train to Atlantic City to gamble what's little is left over from Soc. Sec. He can't walk to anything but the supermarket where I live, (no gamblng) but I know he is relieved to know he can come up here.
What do poor people do? Live miserably. And no, not all of them have a functional grown kid or other relative to live with. I doubt many of them have the mindset to then think of communal living or any such.
Poor people tend to have more kids than the 2.2 average and the question becomes how successful are those kids.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 PM

26 posts, read 65,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
As an aside, food stamps are great - but they won't pay your rent or heating bill. So, unfortunately, I had a few clients charged with food stamp fraud when they sold some of their stamps to pay to have the heat turned back on. Bummer.
That is just...too sad. Fraud?! you kidding me! they were supposed to freeze to death? instead of starving? zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,330,656 times
This is just such an interesting thread and it's SO full of wonderful info. So sad for the massive fortune the Baby Boomers have paid into the govt. and many are in this same situation. And Minervah, you won't be alone. I'll also be working until the end. We have a LOT of seniors that work part time in our area. My relatives/ancestors all did. It kept them going and happy and subsidized their SS and savings.

Just something I've learned from the Retirement Forum that I don't believe are listed here~Use the library for entertainment. Besides books and mags, they have videos you can take out and it doesn't cost a dime. If she lives close enough, could she get rid of her internet and just use it at the library?

I've been thinking about your friend since this morning. Could she get rid of her home phone or cell phone and go with a trac phone? There is no monthly fee. You pay for every minute you use, but if she uses it very little, that's one less monthly bill. Could she cut down to basic cable? It's actually quite a huge difference from the full packages.

And definitely check into the fuel assistance program and food stamp program.

Is there a Senior Center near her apartment? We have one here and if you are 50 and over, you and your spouse are welcome to have lunch there. It's a full meal for $3 per person and if you can't pay, it's ok, too. They have a lot of activities that may interest her. We haven't done that yet, but probably will in a few years.

It's just too bad that things are so expensive where she lives. In my area, she could skimp by on 1200 per month.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,104,404 times
not able to take her in or won't???
dont think we got a poor old lady problem i think we got a rotten kid problem.
see a lota that.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:10 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
It would be wonderful if our taxes provided adequate social services for those in need, but they do not. As a former public benefits attorney, I can promise you that in most, if not all states, there is very little assistance available for these folks. As suggested by one poster, cash assistance is only available for those parents with minor children. (And BTW, with few exceptions, there is a work requirement for these parents.) Applicants for Section 8 assistance usually must wait at least 2 years (sometimes 8 years!) for housing. Medical Assistance is only available for those receiving SSI. SSI is only available to those who are indigent AND determined to be disabled by the Social Security Administration. Those disabled folks who worked at jobs paying more than minimum wage AND paid into Social Security will receive disability payments but will not be eligible for Medicare until they have been disabled for TWO years or reach full retirement age.
(Many states now provide a separate health insurance for these people.) Food Stamps are different and with this economy, applications are increasing at a fast pace. Energy Assistance is another program that helps a little.

Lenora,

I have learn much from all your posts. However, I would like to clarify the issue about SSI (Supplemental Security Income). You have written that "... SSI is only available to those who are indigent AND determined to be disabled by the Social Security Administration..."

That statement confuses many who do not fully understand because SSI is available for the social security disabled who are indigent OR the elderly, over 65, who are indigent (disability is not a requirement) as per the social security web site Social Security Online - Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
which states:

"The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources.

SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits."

I addition your statement that "..Medical Assistance is only available for those receiving SSI..." is not totally clear because Medical Care through Medicaid is available to many people who are not certified as qualified for SSI.

Colorado has just signed into law the Health Insurance Affordability Act which extends Medicaid to those who are below the federal poverty level and are not qualified for SSI. In addition, the law allow Medicaid to singles without children and families with children and allow them to exceed the basic poverty level by specified income mulitipliers. These people would not necessarily qualify for SSI as per income but assets limits are still in place. In addition, Colorado has implemented a Medicaid Buy-In for the disabled who work and would not be qualified for SSI. These law brings Colorado into the level of Medicaid qualifications as a number of other states.

In addition, the qualification for Medicare is not dependent on being certified for SSI as long as you meet the qualifying disability or age requirements. If you are receiving Medicare and you are indigent and meet the income and asset requirements, you will then be certified for SSI and automatically eligible for Medicaid, in addition to Medicare. Yes, you can be under Medicare and Medicaid at the same time. You would then have very little medical costs and be covered for long term nursing home care--which is the big benefit that is not covered under Medicare.

I know you are aware of these issues but I wanted to make it clearer beyond your statements. The most important idea is that people should not make assumptions about whether they are qualified or not--they should apply.

The first place to apply is through the County Social Services because they handle many programs that are not known by the populace. For example, your monthly contributions for Medicare can be fully or partially paid. In addition, if you are on Social Security, then it cost nothing to apply for SSI or other additional benefits such as help with Part D, prescription drugs payments.

There are many programs that are state specific that can help the elderly and the poor that are not well known. For example, many states have monthly income payments for the elderly who did not qualify for Social Security Retirement and are in need and meet the requirements. There are so many benefits that differs from each state but I think the County Social Services should be more aware than any other agencies. That is not to say that they know or care about all other benefits--it is up to the individual to do the research for themselves or their family and friends.

You have to be your own advocate if you are able and research and seek out the information. Today we have the internet which makes it easier. Unfortunately many elderly, the poor or the disabled do not have the abilities to research and understand all the benefits that are available.

I am well aware of many programs because I have been social security disabled since my mid-forties. I do not meet the assets and income requirements for qualification for many programs. However, I am constantly looking at the changing requirements. In addition, I am a Veteran and I try to be aware of all the benefits available. I am fortunate that I still have some mental acumen remaining to understand the different programs but I am now experiencing diminishing capacity; it is becoming more difficult for me every day.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-25-2009 at 01:27 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 10:40 AM

5,290 posts, read 5,957,380 times
Hi Livecontent,

I've tried posting my response several times, to no avail. Hopefully, this is not a triple post! Thanks for the clarification regarding SSI and retirement. My focus was on the preretirement folks and I failed to mention that after full retirement age, SSI is indeed available. The current monthly amount is $674.

You stated, "Colorado has just signed into law the Health Insurance Affordability Act which extends Medicaid to those who are below the federal poverty level and are not qualified for SSI. In addition, the law allow Medicaid to singles without children and families with children and allow them to exceed the basic poverty level by specified income mulitipliers." This is an example of one of the many state health insurance programs now available throughout the United States. Each state determines its own benefits and eligibility requirements, but it appears that all of the states are implementing programs under federal guidelines. Last year, my friend applied for and received unsubsidized health insurance from the state of Maryland. This year, she applied for the subsidized program. The program is relatively unknown and even she (a "retired" povertly law attorney) did not know it existed until I passed the information along. Definitely worth checking into.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 PM

84 posts, read 208,498 times
Angry Is there nothing good about getting older?

Huckleberry -- I'm so sorry you've had such a big disappointment in your life that it's left you so jaded. It's no wonder your kids won't take care of you. I'll bet you think a lot of people on disability also are faking it, right?

It's good to be reminded here about all the guidelines for SSA, SSI, SSDI, food stamps, etc. and how they are changing or supplemented. LiveContent -- I'm so sorry you became disabled in your mid-forties. I did too. This is one point I feel cannot be stressed enough ...

Any one of 'those' elderly people could be one of you tomorrow! I wasn't in the best of shape at 45 years old, but I still could work. Then I became so sick I couldn't work and qualified for SSDI. I had saved money in preparation of buying a home (if prices ever came down in California. HA!) I had a 401k. I had long-term disability. Within about 1.5 years, all of those funds were gone and I lost my long-term disability.

This economic downturn has caught a lot of people unprepared for sudden illness or death. At 44, I figured I had many years left to earn money and stash it away for retirement. Ten years later, it's still a rude awakening for me.

I don't qualify for SSI because I have too many assets. I don't own a home or car, which wouldn't be counted anyway, but I had more than $3,000 to $4,000 in the bank. I must 'spend it down' before I can qualify for more assistance. I live in a very small, inexpensive studio apartment that eats up half my SSDI check every month.

Although I've been quite an independent and industrious soul most of my life, my disability is speeding up the deterioration of my faculties. I read here about all the different programs for help and get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I was able to be a medical advocate for my mother, then myself when I first became disabled. Unfortunately that's almost gone.

I have a real problem with these assistance programs. From my perspective, the application process is set up with indiscriminate obstacles just to reduce the number of people entering a program. Call in, fill out this form. If that's turned down, appeal it. If that's turned down, file a grievance. Etc.

I depend a lot on Medicare Part D. Every three months since I was approved, I've needed to call my insurance carrier to get something corrected. Last month they dropped one of my primary generic medications from their formulary. Did you know insurance companies can do that any time during the year, even though you only can change policies for about 6 weeks during open enrollment? Well, that's my new lesson.

Isn't it ironic that this assistance is supposed to help me get better and eventually enable me to go back to work if I don't reach retirement age first? Dealing with stuff like this takes up more and more of my diminished energy.

Then I think about all the other people out there who are worse off than I am. Many people won't pick up the telephone and call their insurance company if they are notified one of their drugs isn't covered anymore. I may be too jaded, but it appears to me that many of the rules set up to apply for assistance have manufactured obstacles set up to reduce the number of people who apply. Can anyone else here relate?

It's wonderful when you have a friend who is so caring and thoughtful to worry about another older friend who is alone. Wish there were enough friends like this to go around. I couldn't physically care for my mother when her Parkinson's Disease progressed. I'm an only child, my father is dead and there aren't any other relatives. Fortunately, my mom had enough money from the sale of her house to pay for 24-hour care during the last 7 years of her life. I couldn't help her because I became ill, was laid off and became disabled at about the same time. (Not all kids are rotten.)

I suspect one of the fastest growing occupations soon will be finding financial care for the elderly. Somebody should earn something for having to deal with all these complex programs!

Old 04-25-2009, 02:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,348,672 times
mmhere,

Very good and comprehensive post--I am unable to give you a rep. Yes, it is a big problem understanding the benefits available. You did point out a difficult issue about monitoring your health care provider. I have found the same problems and I had to be very aggressive in complaining. But, I get more and more tired everyday; older and older everyday; sicker and sicker everyday and it becomes hard to continual push for what is right.

I also have problems with aged parents. My parents are in the eighties and I have to assume much of the responsibility to oversea their care and finances. I do have siblings but some of them have the attitude that since I do not work, I can easily do all the support. They forget that I do not work because I am disabled and sick. However, I happily give my parents all the support that I can.

I am a lifetime bachelor and I have no children which means my support is minimal and but I am still content. The happiest time in my day is when I wake up and know that I did wake up , being relieved that I do not have to go to work. Eh, I am just a big freeloader. I just lay their in my soft comfort of my blankets and try to forget that I will have a day with my complaining companion---her name is "Constant"--that is "Constant Pain". Perhaps that is just like being married. Yes, the gods that be, could not leave me satisfied with myself alone---they had to provide this mate.

Livecontent

Old 04-25-2009, 02:29 PM

345 posts, read 1,011,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What this thread and many others reflect is how the breakdown of the American family is coming back to haunt folks in their senior years. Divorce can be a retirement killer.
Some of us never had the blessing of being married (well, I'd consider it a blessing if a loving gentleman entered by life) so I don't think that it's a fair assumption to assume that the problem is primarily about "divorce."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement