U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:38 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,510,840 times

Advertisements

Here's an idea:
How about staying at what is probably the homey-est, most welcoming and most comfortable accommodation in South America, and then discovering Machu Picchu, Cusco, other areas of Peru, South America and the Galapagos?

Kuychi Rumi (which means "rainbow stone") is in Urubamba, in the Sacred Valley of the Peruvian Andes. They have six casitas, small houses, which can accommodate from one up to about six or eight people each. The Peruvian managers (the husband is an architect and they built the houses) are to die for perfect -- friendly, smart, helpful, informative, and capable it seems of making anything possible. I found staying there a truly unique and beautiful experience, that I'll remember with smiling love for the rest of my life

These links are:
TripAdvisor.com contributors' reviews of Kyuchi Rumi
Kuychi Rumi (Urubamba, Sacred Valley) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor
and Kuychi Rumi's website
Sacred Valley - Urubamba - Cusco - Peru - Lodging - Hotel

Last edited by allforcats; 11-08-2008 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:52 PM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
I did a three week cruise going up the Nile river once it was very nice.

A paddle steamer that stopped at every archeologic site, with tours.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,989,015 times
While you are still young, why not a safari in Africa, sail the South Pacific, trek the Himalayas, Macchu Picchu, Amazon cruise, etc. There's plenty of time for golf at a resort when you are older. Most people your age are held back by lack of time off and the need to work. Go for it.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
I'd go the difficult treks while still young if you haven't traveled alot.Africa;egypt and many others.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 AM

167 posts, read 404,353 times
Lake Havasu City, AZ nice place to visit during the winter. Golf, boating, beautiful sunsets. Very relaxing atmosphere.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 AM

4,980 posts, read 8,436,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy K View Post
Hi All,

I am new to this site. My husband and I are both 41 and we are retiring this year. We live in Ontario, Canada, don't want to move yet, but would like to know where young retirees can go for extended vacations for 1 - 2 months. Most of the retirement activities and communities we are aware of in the South are for people over 55. Does anyone know where would be a good place for us to rent a home where there are people closer to our own age? I am looking for a home to rent with activities for our age group, someplace warm for January/February/March. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Cathy

Why don't you give some of that money to charity. You sound overloaded.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:09 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,993,045 times
I can't resist asking who said when you retire you had to live in a retiree village? You're still young. It's hard to find a house for 1-2 months unless you are willing to spend an outrageous amount of money. In Las Vegas, for instance, a house can cost up to $3-20k per month. You might check into hotel suites. Hotels will often make a deal for long term guests. What do you like to do?

One of a very nice overlooked retirement aree is in Grove, OK.. The cost of living is low enough that you can afford to have a house or condo and still travel. Its a beautiful area that is centrally located to mega cities: St. Louis, Dallas, Kansas City. You can find in Grove, or lcated nearby, just about anything you can imagine except the ocean. The people are light-hearted. The town has a healthy mix of wealth and middle class. There are places that are considered retirement communities, but you can live in a gated community with people you own age and income and and have the same advanages. There is an adequate number of churches, but if you are Jewish the nearest temple is a few miles away. Geographically Grove is a peninsula surrounded by gently rolling hills and dense folliage. There is plenty to do and see in the four state area that will inspire you including upscale dining and shopping, museums, lake cruises. There is really too much to ,mention here. If you are interested IM me.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:04 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,638,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Please share your secret with me--how is it possible that you were able to retire at 40 years old?

The beachy areas of Mexico would be a lot of fun, are warm during that time of the year, and there is a wide range of ages. San Diego, CA is always beautiful and has perfect weather...maybe the Gulf coast areas too?
easy..if you take a city job with a pension in your 20's...with a 20 year pension...you can retire in your 40's...thats what I did....

Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
Not many cities that after 20 years you can retire and also afford much tho.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 AM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Friends of ours spent last winter in Greece and Capri, they report that their daily average cost them $30.

Talking with many Ex-Pats hanging out there Turkey is slightly cheaper in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or