Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,887 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am new to this site. My husband and I are both 41 and we are retiring this year. We live in Ontario, Canada, don't want to move yet, but would like to know where young retirees can go for extended vacations for 1 - 2 months. Most of the retirement activities and communities we are aware of in the South are for people over 55. Does anyone know where would be a good place for us to rent a home where there are people closer to our own age? I am looking for a home to rent with activities for our age group, someplace warm for January/February/March. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 10:44 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
Please share your secret with me--how is it possible that you were able to retire at 40 years old?

The beachy areas of Mexico would be a lot of fun, are warm during that time of the year, and there is a wide range of ages. San Diego, CA is always beautiful and has perfect weather...maybe the Gulf coast areas too?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:15 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
The south of France, the Greek Islands, Italy - any of those would do it for me. Not sure why age has anything to do with where you go on vacation.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Palm Desert, CA. Everyone from Beautiful British Columbia seems to land there!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:50 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Thumbs up maybe-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The south of France, the Greek Islands, Italy - any of those would do it for me. Not sure why age has anything to do with where you go on vacation.
Maybe she just doesnt want to play shuffleboard-lol. What areas in the south did you look into?. Greece sounds beautiful- if you are interested in a nice mix- I would recommend Hawaii- You would have 2 months to visit each island! Honolulu is a big city- lots to do- Waikiki and the North Shore.

Then for quieter areas and beautiful beaches, you have Maui, Molokai and Kauai, as well as the big island- I went for 14 days- and didnt have enough time to see it all. Have fun wherever you go!

sunny

Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Since I live in Florida and a lot of Canadians coming down here - it's one of the places I would recommend. Since I am particularly fond of the west coast that is where I would go and this factors in your age, etc.

You didn't mention interests? Which also should be a consideration.

You didn't mention your budget, etc. You also might be interested in parts of Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America.

Last edited by jhlcomp; 04-07-2007 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-07-2007, 01:47 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I really hate to say this because it is a place that I LOVE and I know it is growing and attracting a lot of people but don't want it to get too crowded. Okay, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We were there again this year but this time during spring break in March. Saw TONS of people that were there for long extended vacations from Canada and they were not in the "shuffleboard" age group. While it is not FULL of TONS of different activities there is plenty to keep you busy and yet not so much that you don't have time to unwind and relax. Golf and fishing is a HUGE draw to the area. Timeshares are abundant and anything that is going to be built that is not a timeshare sells like crazy even before a grain of sand has been moved. What is there to do: golf, fishing, atv's, art galleries (San Jose, Cabo - where the airport for the area is located) and just relaxing and enjoying the weather that is warm and dry along w/ lots of GREAT food. The area is very reasonably priced for most things but green fees and the fishing charters are top notch and charge accordingly. You can rent a yacht for a few weeks or a month even (I can recommend one that we LOVED!). Most of the yachts and fishing charters go back and forth during the year from here and San Diego. So you could split your time between Cabo and then by water on a yacht go up to San Diego, Ca and spend some time there before going back to Canada. Oh, we did see LOTS of cars w/ Canadian tags.

Another area in the states is Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Lots of great golf courses and tennis. Tons of bike trails all over the island but during this time of year it can be much cooler than tropical. Riding bikes on the beach here is great since the sand is hardpacked. Unless your into golf or tennis there is not going to be much else to do here and Cabo does have more interests than you'll find on HHI.

Or do you want a large city and stay somewhere in the middle of an urban area? Are you interested in the arts, sporting events or active in sports? Or a good mixture of all?

It would really depend on what your interests are on what areas you would most likely enjoy.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times
Try Costa Rica. We're retired and spend 1 to 2 months there each winter. There is a fairly active social life for all age groups and you will meet interesting people from all over the world.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:32 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy K View Post
Hi All,

I am new to this site. My husband and I are both 41 and we are retiring this year. We live in Ontario, Canada, don't want to move yet, but would like to know where young retirees can go for extended vacations for 1 - 2 months. Most of the retirement activities and communities we are aware of in the South are for people over 55. Does anyone know where would be a good place for us to rent a home where there are people closer to our own age? I am looking for a home to rent with activities for our age group, someplace warm for January/February/March. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Cathy
Have you considered going on a cruise? Not exactly the same as what you are asking for, but it's a pretty nice way to see the sights of different places.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
@ 41,
I'd be off to Thailand or Malaysia

maybe Tasmania / NZ
Bali, Cook Islands...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement