U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2010, 03:57 PM

12,419 posts, read 8,718,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I doubt that they would cut back the service for the disabled, as it would be a problem under The Americans for Disabilities Act. They certainly can restrict Senior Vans easier. However, many advanced aged seniors can be certified as disabled because they would have mobility disorders, that would prevent them walking to a bus stop.

The rules for certifications and use of disability para-transit follow federal guidelines as they are federal subsidize, so the regulations are much the same in every area.

It certainly much better to live in a denser urban city for transportation services for seniors as there are so many more options. The best choice is to live very close to a regular bus stop on a major route that has more frequent service. I know an elderly lady who rented her apartment because the bus stop was right outside the front door.

Livecontent
I have a pretty good bus system but i ahve to walk across a major highway to get to it. It's more than I can walk but others could walk it very easily. I just came from a visiting a friend whose dad, 88, just went into a nursing home at $350/day. He had been in pretty good shape but got into an auto accident. Now he is in the nursing home for good. I personally think that everyone should be forced to stop driving at 75 or 80. This is controversial I know. But there are too many risks to self and others after a certain age. And how many of us have a plan for how we're going to deal with this when we're that age (I know for some it seems a long way off, but whether and where we move to has to take transportation into account).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 07:24 PM

847 posts, read 649,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I personally think that everyone should be forced to stop driving at 75 or 80. This is controversial I know. But there are too many risks to self and others after a certain age. And how many of us have a plan for how we're going to deal with this when we're that age (I know for some it seems a long way off, but whether and where we move to has to take transportation into account).
My mother will be 89 in March and has not an accident since we were kids over a half century ago, and then it wasn't her fault. I worry about her still driving, but don't think it would be right to take away her drivers license without a good reason.

My father is blind from macular degeneration so I always consider how I would get around if I got it, and that does somewhat affect my decision about where to live.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 PM

13,633 posts, read 10,766,330 times
Quote:
I doubt that they would cut back the service for the disabled, as it would be a problem under The Americans for Disabilities Act. They certainly can restrict Senior Vans easier. However, many advanced aged seniors can be certified as disabled because they would have mobility disorders, that would prevent them walking to a bus stop.
Sadly Portland OR service such as this has been cut back. My neighbor who can no longer drive due to a severe heart condition has told me that the city-run service she uses does not run as frequently as when she first began using it a couple of years ago. This is for both seniors and the disabled.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,596,724 times
Didn't realize how important it is to be close to public transportation and a town. We moved from the northeast down to Tennesee to a town not in the middle of nowhere but seems like it with the 6" of snow we got here which is unusual. Only major roads are salted & plowed at some point. This is day 4 after the snow and my street and the next steet which would total about 5 miles to a main road are still full of snow and now very icy. It will start to warm up today and hopefully melt some of what's on the road. We are the only ones in my neighborhood who bought a snow shovel (hard to find one) and cleared our driveway. I thought what if there is an emergency and you need to get out. Well, we can get out of our cleared driveway but will have to deal with ice and snow after that.

I just wanted to add to the conversations about being close to transportation and now I know why.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 AM

12,419 posts, read 8,718,861 times
The transportation thing wasn't such a big deal in the previous generation as they had extended family around them more to take them places and to do shopping etc for them,. Boomers who are single or family doesn't live close by are really going to be stuck if they live in suburbia or out in the country. But now even if many want to sell their homes to get closer to town they either can't sell because of the market or they like me would take a huge hit on the price. Being close to either someone in family or to public transport of any kind is going to be more and more important for us all..esp those of us who will never ever be able to afford "assisted" living.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 AM

3,089 posts, read 3,050,105 times
I am hoping to retire in September, and will have only about 1300.00 a month to live on. I am a single woman, own my home and vehicle outright, but of course must pay insurance, taxes, etc. It is necessary to have a vehicle where I live, as public transportation is not easily available. My home is small, about 1100 sq ft, moving would not benefit me at all. I was planning on using a reverse mortgage to supplement income, but with real estate values so depressed right now, I will have to wait until they recover before doing that. I am currently (while working) living on @ 2000 per month, and very comfortable with that . I am wondering if any of you can inform me about your experience retiring on that much less than you have had. . . is it possible? I am prepared to be fairly frugal, cut out many luxuries, gifts, extras, but feel that I will need to continue to have high speed internet, cable TV, etc. I have always been frugal with utilities, but prices continue to rise, regardless, I live in a very hot summer area, and using the A.C. is a must! I do have several pets that need to be cared for. Anything you have to share would be appreciated

Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,852,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I am hoping to retire in September, and will have only about 1300.00 a month to live on. I am a single woman, own my home and vehicle outright, but of course must pay insurance, taxes, etc. It is necessary to have a vehicle where I live, as public transportation is not easily available. My home is small, about 1100 sq ft, moving would not benefit me at all. I was planning on using a reverse mortgage to supplement income, but with real estate values so depressed right now, I will have to wait until they recover before doing that. I am currently (while working) living on @ 2000 per month, and very comfortable with that . I am wondering if any of you can inform me about your experience retiring on that much less than you have had. . . is it possible? I am prepared to be fairly frugal, cut out many luxuries, gifts, extras, but feel that I will need to continue to have high speed internet, cable TV, etc. I have always been frugal with utilities, but prices continue to rise, regardless, I live in a very hot summer area, and using the A.C. is a must! I do have several pets that need to be cared for. Anything you have to share would be appreciated
I live on less than $900 a month. I got real ill, 15 yrs. ago and I went on Social Security Disability to get health insurance. I was always frugal but I did take a huge drop in income and I lived below my income. I decided to live only debt free, so I paid off my mortgage and my car--and I have been totally debt free since. I have never paid interest on a credit card and I do use them every month, and pay off the balances.

The biggest way to live simply is to cook all your own meals. You really do not need to eat in a restaurant. Do not be tempted by the so-called cheap fast food--you can eat the same food much cheaper and healthier, if you cook it yourself.

Do not use eating out in restaurants as entertainment--it gets very expensive and it an activity that is not a need of life. Forget about overpriced coffee shops--make your own or use a thermos (remember those). Shop the food advertisements and buy when it is cheap.

Most of all, learn to cook and appreciate good food, cooked simply. I had a bean burrito for dinner with pureed beans that I made from dried beans. I had fresh fruit. I drank fresh ice tea that I made with loose tea and pureed ocean spray canned cranberries/raspberries (I paid 27 cents a can and I bought plenty)--I make my own flavored tea; I do not need that pricey garbage they sell in jars. I literally have a grocery store in my basement with beans, flour, rice, tomatoes, pasta, canned fish, just about every category of product etc.--all I bought when it was cheap. I can cook and bake anything, without a recipe, and I shop by going into my basement. I can easily throw a pizza together and top it with other items like assorted vegetables--I do not always need too much expensive cheese. I buy meat, cut up and grind my own. I buy large turkeys at $6.00 each at the holidays and break them down for different dishes, for cutlets, stir fry, grind, grill, roast and braise etc. I do not buy overpriced, over advertised "look at me food".

The next biggest expense is not owning a car if you can do it. I live near excellent public transit but I have elderly parents that have immediate needs, in the area, so I need an available car. However, I drive, as little as possible and my car is 16 years old and has 72,000 miles. Since my car is so old, I carry only liability and I only have minimal registration expenses.

Decide what is an important expense and what is not. I do not buy books but I read extensively all the free books from libraries and the web. I buy no newspapers. I have never had cable, as I do not watch TV. I do not buy music or go to concerts to make entertainers richer. I have not been to a movie in 9 years and I do not rent movies because do not enjoy the idiocy of modern movies with too much sex, violence and noise. I do have high speed internet and that combines all those expenses in a cheaper alternative.

I am also single with no children so I do not have the pressure of a wife or children wanting to keep up with the neighbors. I do not surround myself with expensive friends. Of course, I do not go to bars or nightclubs--I do not need that nonsense or alcohol. If you smoke--then quit.

I live in a small ranch with minimal furnishings. I use little utilities and less water than most people in the area. I do not need air-conditioning. I believe in a house that is no bigger than your needs. Today, I even believe you can live cheaper renting a small apartment.

Ah, Pets. I have seen many people who cannot pay their expenses but they have many big animals to feed. Pet ownership in fine for many people but like any other wants--you have to minimize your desires. I have no pets and I have no need or want or desire.

Also, I save money every month. If I need another car--I can easily pay cash. If I need repairs to my house--I pay cash. My credit score in at the top end and I can quickly borrow money but I do not.

I no longer enjoy traveling because it is difficult for me. I have learned to enjoy the simple free pleasures of my surroundings. I do not need to impress any person. I have no need to achieve beyond what I am. I am beyond the competitive game in life and I just sit back and relax.

Yet even at my simple level of living--I can even live on less money. I have no interest in money and the less I worry about it--the more I seem to accumulate. Abandon the idea of needing to buy something new, to reduce tension and stress--you are just throwing money away on more junk. Volunteer your time to the needy and use that as a fulfillment instead of more stuff.

What I want to do in my future is further reduce my possession. I have found that I have too many thing that require maintenance and upkeep--the less the better. I can live very comfortable with one big chair and the books I want to read before I die.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-01-2010 at 08:48 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 PM

246 posts, read 408,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Only you will know what you are willing to give up or compromise on. As I see it if you are comfortable living on $2000 monthly you could probably manage well enough on less when you retire.

I always remind myself of the difference between need and want when I am trying to tighten a budget. So based on that do you really need high speed internet access? If you decided it is a want and moved back to dial up that alone would save you probably at least $50 a month or maybe more. Do you actually need cable tv? Is it worth it? Again only you can decide but by reducing down to a more basic cable it would save you each month. There are so many little changes that can add up to saving you a few hundred dollars or more each month.

Good luck with it all.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM

8,694 posts, read 10,954,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwyn_7 View Post
Only you will know what you are willing to give up or compromise on. As I see it if you are comfortable living on $2000 monthly you could probably manage well enough on less when you retire.

I always remind myself of the difference between need and want when I am trying to tighten a budget. So based on that do you really need high speed internet access? If you decided it is a want and moved back to dial up that alone would save you probably at least $50 a month or maybe more. Do you actually need cable tv? Is it worth it? Again only you can decide but by reducing down to a more basic cable it would save you each month. There are so many little changes that can add up to saving you a few hundred dollars or more each month.

Good luck with it all.
With the junk on cable tv lately, watching the same old Sandra Bullock movie till I cry, I am thinking of canceling the whole thing when we are done with work. We need the internet right now, but later, maybe the library.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM

21,917 posts, read 28,835,974 times
We have internet access with our landline.

Our township has no cable and with the Analog TV broadcasts having been shut-down our township is not within the reduced digital TV broadcast range. So we have no TV.

Life is fine without TV.

If we wanted, we could pay for a satellite dish, but we find that life seems to be better without that junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement