Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It sounds like those on this thread are pretty careful about their food and cooking habits -- which is nice to hear.
BUT... How am I gonna get free fuel for my 'Grease Burner' cars?

Oh yeah, I must have forgot about the 'other' folks, eat those fries!!! (Chinese and Mexican is best grease for fuel, fewer FFA's. (burgers)

Those donut eaters should get me by until Algae comes of age. I can grow plenty of that in the PNW (on my roof and sidewalks). A greenhouse with rotating algae tubes in in my future

Algae - A shoestringer's friend
home heating oil circa 1978... HowStuffWorks "How Algae Biodiesel Works"

pics
algae biofuel - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 03:04 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Default Living on $18,000 a year -- by choice

Here's a nice little artical I thought some might find to be a nice read.

Liz Pulliam Weston: How to live happily on little money - MSN money

Old 07-24-2010, 05:57 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Thanks for the link. This is what I'm living on. The only clincher for me is...rising property taxes. If I could find a nice little bungalow with taxes under $900/yr for the rest of my life I'd be all set! Easier said than done in this part of the country.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:18 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
Thanks for the link. This is what I'm living on. The only clincher for me is...rising property taxes. If I could find a nice little bungalow with taxes under $900/yr for the rest of my life I'd be all set! Easier said than done in this part of the country.
None of us know what will happen in the future, property taxes could rise at any time.

However in the mean time, our property taxes are below that level.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
Latashia, I couldn't agree with you more about the property taxes in the northeast. That's why we moved south.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:32 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Here's a nice little artical I thought some might find to be a nice read.

Liz Pulliam Weston: How to live happily on little money - MSN money
Good link!

Looking at the $$ for property taxes back East just make me shudder.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Good link!

I am from California, my siblings stayed in California. I moved on.

I think that you mean Eastern 'cities' though.

For most of my land the property taxes run around a dollar per acre here in Maine.

If you compare Eastern taxes to California, you will find that California's are much higher. [I once owned rural land in California]

Old 07-24-2010, 08:25 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am from California, my siblings stayed in California. I moved on.

I think that you mean Eastern 'cities' though.

For most of my land the property taxes run around a dollar per acre here in Maine.

If you compare Eastern taxes to California, you will find that California's are much higher. [I once owned rural land in California]
Yes, I did. Not enough coffee in me yet to type clearly

Overall, taxes are higher in CA - which is one reason I'll be leaving in about 40 months, LOL.

But some of these property taxes I see listed in other states are just ... astounding. I have over 2000 sf on 2/3 acre, and pay less than $1500 a year.

I like the taxes in your part of Maine better, though

Old 07-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Latashia, I couldn't agree with you more about the property taxes in the northeast. That's why we moved south.
And I would too but I think I would about die in the kind of heat and humidity that is probably double what we have here, and that is bad enough!! This is off-topic perhaps, but it does relate to the cost of air-conditioning (a shoestringer issue)....but how ARE you as a Northerner handling the climate there? Is your AC constantly running?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Good link!

There are many areas including the PNW and New Hampshire and New York state that are much worse than where I am. Perhaps some areas of CA as well. I think that with many states in dire fiscal trouble it could become widespread. Are there any towns with NO SCHOOLS??? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement