Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 08:53 PM

419 posts, read 758,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
There are many areas including the PNW and New Hampshire and New York state that are much worse than where I am. Perhaps some areas of CA as well. I think that with many states in dire fiscal trouble it could become widespread. Are there any towns with NO SCHOOLS??? lol
Yes, you could move to Sun City, AZ. The seniors in that community have fought for years not to have to pay school taxes. They contend that they paid school taxes for years and do not want to pay now for someone else's kids. So far, it has kept them exempt. Don't know about the other Sun Cities communities.

Actually, property taxes are very low in the Phoenix area. Potential tax increases have to go to the voters. The voters have consistently voted down any tax increases. Unfortunately, Arizona schools rate about 48 out of the 50 states in performance. The public schools in Arizona are pathetic and have been that way for decades.

I moved from Arizona 5 years ago, so if things have changed, I would appreciate any updates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 04:00 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Yes, you could move to Sun City, AZ. The seniors in that community have fought for years not to have to pay school taxes. They contend that they paid school taxes for years and do not want to pay now for someone else's kids. So far, it has kept them exempt. Don't know about the other Sun Cities communities.

Actually, property taxes are very low in the Phoenix area. Potential tax increases have to go to the voters. The voters have consistently voted down any tax increases. Unfortunately, Arizona schools rate about 48 out of the 50 states in performance. The public schools in Arizona are pathetic and have been that way for decades.

I moved from Arizona 5 years ago, so if things have changed, I would appreciate any updates.
Add Carefree, AZ... no schools or churches.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
They contend that they paid school taxes for years and do not want to pay now for someone else's kids.
I find that fascinating. I never had kids but of course have been paying taxes for "someone else's kids" schooling all my life. It was a fact of life I accepted but as a senior, when every penny counts, I sure wouldn't mind a break. Maybe I'll add Sun City AZ to my list of possible places to relocate.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Arizona is like all states - it depends on what county you choose. Here's something I have saved ...

AZ Prop Taxes.pdf

(I couldn't figure out how to make it scan correctly, hence the pdf. Hope it works!)

If you can take the heat ... AZ has some counties with extremely low property taxes.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 AM

419 posts, read 758,541 times
[quote=Minervah;15187896]I find that fascinating. I never had kids but of course have been paying taxes for "someone else's kids" schooling all my life. It was a fact of life I accepted but as a senior, when every penny counts, I sure wouldn't mind a break. Maybe I'll add Sun City AZ to my list of possible places to relocate. [/quote

Del Webb began building the first retirement community in the west desert of Phoenix in the early 60's. He named his community Sun City, which in turn became a city. That generation of retirees lived very modestly, so the houses that were built were small 2 or 3 bedroom ranches. Mostly 2 bedrooms. No frills but neat.

With the housing bust, you can geat a great deal on those homes. At least that was the way it was a couple of years ago. You could do a search on realtor.com and see what is available. To my knowledge, no bad areas in Sun City.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:01 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
I am senior and I do not have any children. However, I have always voted for most city and school increases of budgets and construction, but not all. I do read all the information and do make a determination if they are warranted and I have attended numerous public information meetings.

My vote has nothing to do if I had or have children. I think that is a wrong way to vote. For, the previous generation paid for schools and my education when I was a child, now it is my time to pay. It benefits me, as part of society, to contribute to the education and well being of all children; to all generations and to the future of our country. What does it matter, whose children they are? All children are all our children.

I see cities and towns turned into educational wastelands with no budgets for schools, libraries and recreational facilities because the population has got older, their children are grown and there are more childless residents. Now many of these people just vote down all issues as a matter of course, yet they can easily afford to fund these programs.

There is already tax relief for low income residents and tax rebates for seniors and they are good programs. I suggest you vote as a conscious voter on only the substantial issue of the proposals, yea or nay, and leave any selfish, self serving considerations, out of your determinations.

Livecontent

Old 07-25-2010, 10:55 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
The temptation is just too strong:

The first part of your post wasn't bad and I wouldn't argue because it's your point of view and you're entitled. And then you got snarky so here goes:

I and others in my age group have paid our dues. Whether we had children or not, we have paid taxes up the wazoo for many many years to fund schools etc... We have more than made up for the pittance the tax payers gave us individually.

Now it's the next generations turn to do the same. I agree we want and need a well educated society, however, I'm sure we are all aware of the waste that even the school systems continue to participate in - we hear it all the time on the news. Like I said, I've paid my dues and done my time - it's why so many older people congregate in 55+ communities. If you must have a HOA (not too different from taxes), I don't want my dues going toward a new jungle gym or playground but beautiful walking trails and gardens, etc... Nothing against kids - I have other interests now.

OK, back to pruning and killing JAPANESE BEETLES

Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
...I do read all the information and do make a determination if they are warranted and I have attended numerous public information meetings.

My vote has nothing to do if I had or have children. I think that is a wrong way to vote. ... It benefits me, as part of society, to contribute to the education and well being of all children; to all generations and to the future of our country. ...

I see cities and towns turned into educational wastelands with no budgets for schools, libraries and recreational facilities because the population has got older, their children are grown and there are more childless residents. Now many of these people just vote down all issues as a matter of course, yet they can easily afford to fund these programs.

There is already tax relief for low income residents and tax rebates for seniors and they are good programs. I suggest you vote as a conscious voter on only the substantial issue of the proposals, yea or nay, and leave any selfish, self serving considerations, out of your determinations.

Livecontent
Good points, BUT... quite prevalent in the USA there is an educational wasteland in well funded districts. (this is not a sole reason to with-hold support).
Difficult issue not suited for full discussion here. After living and hiring overseas and in USA, the USA edu system is yet another embarrassment and travesty (your mileage may vary).

As a homeschooler, from a family of educators who all homeschooled while working and volunteering 'in-district', the more we can become engaged and help the edu system, be better chances we have at a better future. That does not always equate to $$.

Fair and moderate taxes across the board can be a good thing, and I feel potentially more elusive in the future. As shoestringers WE have a challenge.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I and others in my age group have paid our dues. Whether we had children or not, we have paid taxes up the wazoo for many many years to fund schools etc... We have more than made up for the pittance the tax payers gave us individually.
^^^

Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
That's pretty harsh. I never complained about paying taxes for which I would never personally benefit. I figured that schools, public healthcare programs and child assistance programs were for the greater good. Then I was laid off at age 55. I was not very hireable. When my savings ran out and I needed help there was nothing for me. I was told that "if I were supporting a child or totally disabled I could get the all the assistance I needed." Since I wasn't any of those things I was SOL."

I spent every waking hour looking for employment. I was willing and able to work but there were no jobs. Meantime I tried to apply for every assistance program imaginable. There was nothing for a single woman who had paid taxes to help others for all of her adult life. I was too "young" too "healthy" to qualify for any of them. The people at the assistance programs felt surely with all my employment experience I could find work; employers felt differently.

So my taxes had supported others but where was help for me when I needed it? Selfish? You bet. I am now. I have no trouble admitting that at my age I am not so very concerned about the "good" of others as I am the "good" of me. I would welcome a program that would exempt me from paying taxes towards inefficient school systems and professional welfare breeders. Sorry if the good and deserving schools and the truly needy families would no longer be supported by me but I believe charity begins at home and at this age I am my own charity.

I apologize to everyone for straying from the main topic but I felt this needed to be addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement