U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 PM

5,309 posts, read 3,869,767 times

Advertisements

SCBaker - I always thought Cruisers were so cool looking. I call them gangsta cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 PM

410 posts, read 390,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
SCBaker - I always thought Cruisers were so cool looking. I call them gangsta cars
That's exactly what I thought, looks like a gangsta car. The only thing missing was running boards. I think the reason they were so popular is because they were so different from anything else on the road. Both inside and out. People were so starved for something unique. Of course, there were people who felt they were the ugliest thing they had ever seen.

Wow! only one battery after 11 years, that is great. How many miles do you have on your car? IMO, you were so wise in buying a Honda.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 PM

5,309 posts, read 3,869,767 times
I only have 60,000 I live in a suburb of Minneapolis, but everything I need is within 2-5 miles, for the most part. I got it 2 years before I retired so I don't have all those work miles on it. Like I said, I'm taking it with me to my grave

Now, I will admit this (but only to a few people), I also have a Mazda Miata that I drive spring, summer, fall. Great gas mileage, fun and I love it but I'm going to try and sell it in spring. Don't know how easy that will be in this economy. It is the most useless car as far as hauling anything including 2 dogs so I still need the Honda. At this rate, the Honda will last forever.

I had a Honda Prelude for 15 years before this Honda and never had any trouble with it UNTIL I bought this one and then the timing belt went out. I still think it got mad because I brought a new car home. I donated it to the Disabled Vets and got a call one night from the guy that bought it at auction. He absolutely loved it. I made him swear he'd take good care of it.

So, I agree, if you want a reliable car, Hondas are great.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM

21,874 posts, read 28,685,077 times
We had gotten into the habit of buying 20-year old cars, and first thing taking them to a mechanic to spend $500 on whatever they could find wrong. Then annually going back to the mechanic and spending another $500 on whatever they can find that is wearing out.

By doing preventative repair work it seemed to work well for us in avoiding break-downs.

We did this routine for 25 years.

Moving to Maine, we are now in a culture where very few cars make it to 20-years old. They rust apart. Driving older cars, we see that preventative repairs are really high since rust-cancer is everywhere, eating the entire frame, brake-lines, everything.

One option I see is taking a bus down to Georgia and buying a 20-year old car there for $500 and driving it up here.

Thinking about this is what led us to buying the cheapest new car on the market. And not paying over $11k. Under full warranty is nice

Maine's 'excise tax' is kind of high, about equal to what we had been paying in Ct for registration fees. The excise goes down every year as the car ages. At least the registration fees are low.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,352,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We had gotten into the habit of buying 20-year old cars, and first thing taking them to a mechanic to spend $500 on whatever they could find wrong. Then annually going back to the mechanic and spending another $500 on whatever they can find that is wearing out.

By doing preventative repair work it seemed to work well for us in avoiding break-downs.

Moving to Maine, we are now in a culture where very few cars make it to 20-years old. They rust apart. Driving older cars, we see that preventative repairs are really high since rust-cancer is everywhere, eating the entire frame, brake-lines, everything.

One option I see is taking a bus down to Georgia and buying a 20-year old car there for $500 and driving it up here.

Thinking about this is what led us to buying the cheapest new car on the market. And not paying over $11k. Under full warranty is nice

Maine's 'excise tax' is kind of high, about equal to what we had been paying in Ct for registration fees. The excise goes down every year as the car ages. At least the registration fees are low.
We have a place here in PA that we have bought cars from for 30 years. We expect to go back to this place when we need a new car and then drive it to Maine where we will start living next year. We know the family, and they haunt the large auto auctions looking for quality used vehicles. So I can call them and ask them to find me a certain kind of vehicle in a certain year with a certain milage and they will let me know when they've found it.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,627,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Even if you get a new car elsewhere, the salt roads in New England will still get to it. There's apparently some kind of substance you can have sprayed on the underbelly to prevent rust.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 AM

5,103 posts, read 3,923,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Ah, the joys of "retirement on a shoestring". . . .last week, $500.00 worth of work on my car, this week, property tax bill.. . .somebody must have told them I was retireing!
Kinda the same here! A couple weeks ago I had to fork over $800 on my car. I'm also paying $40 a visit for physical therapy right now too so that's another $120 week! I guess I should just be glad I'm not footing the entire bill. I still have four visits so by the time I'm done I will have paid out about $500. That would've looked really NICE in my savings account!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM

5,103 posts, read 3,923,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Even if you get a new car elsewhere, the salt roads in New England will still get to it. There's apparently some kind of substance you can have sprayed on the underbelly to prevent rust.
When I lived in MI I bought a car with the undercoating and it really does work! Then I moved back home to AZ and didn't have to worry about it anyway. lol

One of the good things about living where I do is there are TONS of retirees who have nice and well cared for cars. When one passes away you can get a good deal on one. It's unfortunate that they pass away though and it feels like taking advantage of a bad situtation.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:22 AM

13,596 posts, read 10,674,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
While I am standing at the bus stop in the morning waiting for my bus to take me to work I sometimes see a black Cruiser with black tinted windows pass by. And the license plate says "Capone."

Old 09-04-2010, 05:40 AM

3,089 posts, read 3,037,141 times
I had the opportunity, about a year ago, to buy a 2002 Prius from a friend who was moving out of the country. Next to my house, probably one of the best "financial moves" I've ever made. . .. getting about 43 miles a gallon, even in the summer here in Phx with the AC on, will improve a couple of MPH in the winter. Yearly maintenance will range from @ 250 - 500 per year, pricey but only 1 x a year. . . ..and worth it to keep it looking and performing like brand new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement