Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I had the opportunity, about a year ago, to buy a 2002 Prius from a friend who was moving out of the country. Next to my house, probably one of the best "financial moves" I've ever made. . .. getting about 43 miles a gallon, even in the summer here in Phx with the AC on, will improve a couple of MPH in the winter. Yearly maintenance will range from @ 250 - 500 per year, pricey but only 1 x a year. . . ..and worth it to keep it looking and performing like brand new.

I heard you have to replace the entire battery system at 100K and that costs about $3000. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 07:24 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Even if you get a new car elsewhere, the salt roads in New England will still get to it. There's apparently some kind of substance you can have sprayed on the underbelly to prevent rust.
A 5-year old car from N.E. will already have plenty of rust; by 10-years old most N.E. vehicles have so much rust that it becomes a serious issue.

By leaving N.E. you can get a car that has never been exposed to salt; and thereby drive it for 5-years before having problems.

The industry has been trying various undercoatings for 40-years.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,706 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I had the opportunity, .. to buy a 2002 Prius ... Next to my house, probably one of the best "financial moves" I've ever made. . .....
Another option, 'check you neighbor's brier patch for an abandoned Rabbit (VW-Diesel)' I have found several that way, and have my eye on a few more (under $100, some I get for free). 50 mpg since 1976, no Dinosaurs or OPEC required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We had gotten into the habit of buying 20-year old cars, ...We did this routine for 25 years.

One option I see is taking a bus down to Georgia and buying a 20-year old car there for $500 and driving it up here....
The excise goes down every year as the car ages. At least the registration fees are low.
High excise fees got me into this habit 30 yrs ago, and being a professional 'shoestringer' NOW I can't stop No rust here (just mold from 285 days of rain) I have had several $100 vehicles go well over 300k with minimal maint costs (~$200 / yr). Best to buy One-owner / By Owner, often very well cared for (synthetic oils, nice interior, routine maint).

GA, TX, and AZ are locations on my shopping list. (DFW often has very low resale prices). A $59-$89 flight on SWA will get me there in a few hours and I'm homeward bound. Or... It costs ~ $500 to ship a car - I use 'U-Ship' (like eBay of shipping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
A 5-year old car from N.E. will already have plenty of rust; ...
The industry has been trying various undercoatings for 40-years.
Undercoating is difficult with all the little places (moving parts / heat from exhaust, suspension) for salt to get trapped. It really is too bad there was not an alternative solution to using road salt, tho Detroit has profited. (now Tokyo, Beijing, and Seoul)

Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I only have 60,000 I live in a suburb of Minneapolis, but everything I need is within 2-5 miles, for the most part. I got it 2 years before I retired so I don't have all those work miles on it. Like I said, I'm taking it with me to my grave

Now, I will admit this (but only to a few people), I also have a Mazda Miata that I drive spring, summer, fall. Great gas mileage, fun and I love it but I'm going to try and sell it in spring. Don't know how easy that will be in this economy. It is the most useless car as far as hauling anything including 2 dogs so I still need the Honda. At this rate, the Honda will last forever.

I had a Honda Prelude for 15 years before this Honda and never had any trouble with it UNTIL I bought this one and then the timing belt went out. I still think it got mad because I brought a new car home. I donated it to the Disabled Vets and got a call one night from the guy that bought it at auction. He absolutely loved it. I made him swear he'd take good care of it.

So, I agree, if you want a reliable car, Hondas are great.
Umbria, really research the miata for pricing it for sale - i " practically gave" my little red mee away & have regretted it. Today, my 2000 that i sold for an embarrasingly-low price in 2007 would bring far more than I even considered selling it for 3 years earlier.

Practicality speaking, I managed to cram so much in mine on occasion that i considered advertising it for mini-moves - likely the only person who could pack it with a table & four chairs......fortunately, i was on a main highway for only a few miles and didn't encounter a venice cop............................

In this economy, perhaps the simple joy that a miata can bring as you cruise down the highway might make it even easier to sell ! Advertise it as "Zoom Zoom Zoloft on Wheels" ....

Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Umbria, really research the miata for pricing it for sale - i " practically gave" my little red mee away & have regretted it. Today, my 2000 that i sold for an embarrasingly-low price in 2007 would bring far more than I even considered selling it for 3 years earlier.

Practicality speaking, I managed to cram so much in mine on occasion that i considered advertising it for mini-moves - likely the only person who could pack it with a table & four chairs......fortunately, i was on a main highway for only a few miles and didn't encounter a venice cop............................

In this economy, perhaps the simple joy that a miata can bring as you cruise down the highway might make it even easier to sell ! Advertise it as "Zoom Zoom Zoloft on Wheels" ....
Thanks for the encouragement. I love that little car even though it can't be driven in MN in winter. The salt would eat it up - it's so low to the ground. I get compliments all the time - last week a little girl, probably 6 or so, said, "Love your little car". I laughed - so did her mom. I call it my motorcycle with training wheels since so many people get their undies in a bunch when I say I have 2 cars. Mine is black with a camel top and the interior is black/camel. The 5 speed could be a pain when I move to CO - lots of hills, etc... but I will hate to part with it.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,706 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I love that little car ... The 5 speed could be a pain when I move to CO - lots of hills, etc... but I will hate to part with it.
By all means keep the Miata for Colorado mtn drives. There are not many 'hills' in CO. (as in 'hilly' city driving, with a few exceptions of course) and the mtns are ez climbing for the exhilaration of being there. The 5 spd will treat you well driving mtn canyon roads and compression braking for the switchbacks on the way down passes. You would be really sorry to have sold it and be stuck in the Honda limo while wishing for a sports car. I will bet the Miata gets much more use in Colorado, you will probably need 2 or 3 replacements. I can envision your fun 'day' trips to the Black Hills and WY as well.

I used to take a quick jaunt to those locations from CO 'After work' on long summer evenings, I love driving under full moon, so as long as I was home in time to get to work the next day, I used all my free moments enjoying various 'fun' road trips.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
By all means keep the Miata for Colorado mtn drives. There are not many 'hills' in CO. (as in 'hilly' city driving, with a few exceptions of course) and the mtns are ez climbing for the exhilaration of being there. The 5 spd will treat you well driving mtn canyon roads and compression braking for the switchbacks on the way down passes. You would be really sorry to have sold it and be stuck in the Honda limo while wishing for a sports car. I will bet the Miata gets much more use in Colorado, you will probably need 2 or 3 replacements. I can envision your fun 'day' trips to the Black Hills and WY as well.

I used to take a quick jaunt to those locations from CO 'After work' on long summer evenings, I love driving under full moon, so as long as I was home in time to get to work the next day, I used all my free moments enjoying various 'fun' road trips.
roll down the top, turn up the radio and drive
cheaper than a therapist in the long run and likely as close to heaven on earth as you'll get. this from an oh so NOT a car person......

Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I LOVE my five speed for mountain driving! When I go to visit cousins/shop in the "big city" I deliberately take the mountain route. I'm at about 3,500 ft. and the mountain top is at 7,000 ft.. LOTS of curves and whatnot. I just love driving that road. Been driven over, or have driven, that road all my life and *know* every curve. It takes the same amount of time, but is less miles, than 'the other route' going around the mountain. AND I don't get car sick anymore like I did when I was a kid!

I love driving under a full moon too!!! The desert is quite beautiful then.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Does anyone know where I can get a stainless steel grain mill (residential use) (not electric)? One that will last for 20 yrs?

Also I am looking for an online source of plumbers' candles, in bulk (do not want to pay $1 apiece!). These are also called emergency candles (no scent, about 6–8 inches high, white, long burning). Any online sources??

Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a stainless steel grain mill (residential use) (not electric)? One that will last for 20 yrs?

Also I am looking for an online source of plumbers' candles, in bulk (do not want to pay $1 apiece!). These are also called emergency candles (no scent, about 6–8 inches high, white, long burning). Any online sources??
Like this at Sears?
Homestyle Corn and Grain Grinder
(I don't know if it's stainless steel though)

Or you can go to Nextag.com and put "home grain mills" in the search box and look at all different kinds of models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement