U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 PM

3,517 posts, read 8,685,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Will the nail polish prevent rust?

Thanks!
Definitly not. Rust must be cleaned off to the bare metal then primed & painted. Covering it does not arrest the corrosion.

The polymeric "waxes" work the best & are easier to apply. They can help prevent rust but not treat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM

12,268 posts, read 8,406,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

The polymeric "waxes" work the best & are easier to apply. They can help prevent rust but not treat it.
If the rust hasn't developed, just the scratches are there (one of them deep), what do you think about putting on the wax?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:30 PM

11,187 posts, read 18,587,988 times
Quote:
If the rust hasn't developed, just the scratches are there (one of them deep), what do you think about putting on the wax?
you can get auto waxes that have a base color similar to your paint, I think this would be the best protection, but if bare metal is showing you shoul apply some paint to that area as a barrier to moisture.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 PM

5,309 posts, read 3,813,933 times
Quote:
Can you recommend a brand? (is that allowed on CD, and if not, give me a hint?)
Others gave good info but just FYI - I use Meguiars (bought at Target), Great stuff. Goes on easy and more importantly, comes off (buffs) easily. I've used other stuff where my arm would go numb trying to buff it.

I agree with the rust - it should be removed first. In case that's not possible right now for you and the area isn't hugh, a couple coatings of the wax will at least slow the rusting down by keeping the air & moisture off the area.

Last edited by Umbria; 09-22-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Thanks everyone on the car scratch dilemma, I'll follow your advice.

Just keeping the SURFACES of our homes and cars protected from decay is an expense to be dealt with!!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone on the car scratch dilemma, I'll follow your advice.

Just keeping the SURFACES of our homes and cars protected from decay is an expense to be dealt with!!
Life is full of challenges - or is that - opportunities Car wax may be on sale now that winter is getting CLOSER Now, go find the turd that scratched up your car and hand them a big bill.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Life is full of challenges - or is that - opportunities Car wax may be on sale now that winter is getting CLOSER Now, go find the turd that scratched up your car and hand them a big bill.
They got the fender too. Now you can see black under my silver fender. As if I need this! But that's only a small problem in life so I'm not complaining.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 8,685,515 times
Quote:
They got the fender too. Now you can see black under my silver fender. As if I need this! But that's only a small problem in life so I'm not complaining.
Oh I hate that. Most fenders are fiberglass with gel coat finish. It can be repaired but is quite involved to do so.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 AM

My son just gave me a new freezer (freestanding). I'm wondering how full I need to keep it, and if it's not should I fill it in with ice bags.

Someone earlier said I can freeze in glass jars. Can they be touching or should I separate them with something?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
My son just gave me a new freezer (freestanding). I'm wondering how full I need to keep it, and if it's not should I fill it in with ice bags.

Someone earlier said I can freeze in glass jars. Can they be touching or should I separate them with something?
What a nice thing! You might want to post in the Food section. There are canners that should be able to answer your question. I seem to remember that you need space in a glass jar for expansion when it freezes. Also, the fuller you keep your freezer the less energy it will use - the frozen food helps to keep it cold. That's the extent of my lnowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement