Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I'm determined to go before I get like NEG and no longer have the mental energy to do it. One more winter~~~~~~~ (I can do it, I can do it~~~~)
Sigh, yes, one more winter. We can do it, we can do it....

Then what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
[OP takes a bow]

Maybe we should form a national chorus, invent some shoestring songs with guitar or banjo, and get onto Oprah and make some dough....

....♪ ♫ ♪ (Bing a bing bing~~~~) I come to ______ with a shoestring on my knee....♪ ♫ ♪ (bing a bing bing~~~) ( a little soft shoe~~~)

OR we could do one of those naked ladies calendars Oh OK, the guys are also invited

Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
OR we could do one of those naked ladies calendars Oh OK, the guys are also invited
Not quite naked--but with strategically placed shoestrings!

Or, to be a bit more modest, how about bikinis knitted or crocheted with shoestrings?

You know we could really make a bundle here...

Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
....♪ ♫ ♪ (Bing a bing bing~~~~) Goin' to ______ with a shoestring on my knee....♪ ♫ ♪ (bing a bing bing~~~) ( a little soft shoe~~~)
A slight change in the wording.

Maybe we could get a big name country singer to write some songs for us.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
sigh, yes, one more winter. We can do it, we can do it....

Then what?
live!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM

70 posts, read 433,074 times
Default Cooperative or Communal Living?

Maybe COOPERATIVE living or Communal living is the answer for the future. I mean find the right group and there is safety in numbers. Here's a link to many cooperative, or communal communities in the country. Communities by geographic list
Intentional Communities Listed by Country and State or Province

Old 10-16-2010, 05:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
I'm reading "Possum Living" right now and it's a delight. It's a refreshing look at an old way of thinking, even though seriously dated given today's health care disaster. Does anyone know whatever happened to Dolly in later years?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:56 AM

155 posts, read 148,999 times
It's inspiring to see that retiring on a shoestring doesn't mean you lose your sense of humor or spirit!!

Living in a country with no social security and a social system that has suffered badly over the last 60 years I hope that we can be a stoical as you guys.

Also reading these posts I get the feeling that this is where you find genuine people with genuine values. Not the greedy debt driven consumers who have managed to make such a mess of everyone's lives.

To try and lengthen my shoestring I'm looking at the business opportunities being created by the internet. Maybe an ebook with "100 Ways to Lengthen a Shoestring Budget" might work?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybookroom View Post
Maybe COOPERATIVE living or Communal living is the answer for the future. I mean find the right group and there is safety in numbers. Here's a link to many cooperative, or communal communities in the country. Communities by geographic list
Intentional Communities Listed by Country and State or Province
Yes, thanks. Some of us have seen this. And some of us are weighing the challenges of communal living. Independence and compromise....

Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
It's inspiring to see that retiring on a shoestring doesn't mean you lose your sense of humor or spirit!!

Living in a country with no social security and a social system that has suffered badly over the last 60 years I hope that we can be a stoical as you guys.

Also reading these posts I get the feeling that this is where you find genuine people with genuine values. Not the greedy debt driven consumers who have managed to make such a mess of everyone's lives.

To try and lengthen my shoestring I'm looking at the business opportunities being created by the internet. Maybe an ebook with "100 Ways to Lengthen a Shoestring Budget" might work?
You're in South Africa! What is it like there economically? What is retirement like there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement