Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 04:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
NewEG, sorry for delay in reply, I was traveling to Colorado during the dates of this post (but always good to revive this thread

I feed (and entertain) 2 on $100/month, February will be much less (task is to empty freezer in prep for spring). Lots of fresh fruits and veggies. (5 servings / day). I Just bought 60# of pears for $.18/#, they are really nice, I will take a pic .

Broccoli soup tonight ($.49/#) plenty of Tillamook Cheese too.

What kinds of food stores are you shopping at for these prices?? Unheard of where I am, even at the discount chains/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What kinds of food stores are you shopping at for these prices?? Unheard of where I am, even at the discount chains/
I buy fruits and veggies from a produce ONLY store that gets regular shipments of 'non-conforming' stock from growers and processors (bruised, poor color, or spots). These pears were rejected for being too big. I just measured one at 11" circumference (5" tall). Years ago as a grower I had to 'size' my pears with a ring device, if they were too big or too small they couldn't go to processor or to supermarket.

Fresh Cabbage was $.23 and made a great salad tonight.

58F and sunny in Portland on Thursday. 28F and 40 mph wind at the moment (burr).

Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Just wanted to chime in here and tell you how much I am enjoying reading this thread. Some thanks to LiveContent (who unfortunately seems to have disappeared) and many other terrific posters who have contributed some great information. I am only on page 36, so not sure when I will catch up. Would like to finish reading posts before I make any specific comments as they may have been covered.

One comment I'd like to make though is: It would be nice to know what area folks are from when talking about prices, stores, taxes etc. It can get frustrating sometimes reading about the great golf cart driving areas to all places, and not know where the heck it is your talking about. Just a thought.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 PM

79 posts, read 114,043 times
I've been reading this thread too, enjoying the back and forth of posters and the many creative ways to live frugally in retirement.

One thing I've been thinking about in choosing a low cost place to retire, is what factors to consider outside of my likes/dislikes for climate, population, recreation, medical, etc. I'm wondering about things like whether a state or city is in serious debt. How that state or city will respond to the needs of retired people. Whether that state or city has the resources needed to support a growing retirement population. I'm thinking that maybe an area with a strong work force and good economy may be a plus, with low taxes and low priced homes/rentals. Maybe an equal voting mix of different political parties so it's not an all red or all blue area. Would these characteristics increase the likelihood of being able to live in that area with low income?

The number of states refusing government monies to help its' peoples, then cutting state services to those people has me concerned for long term security. I'm thinking of Arizona Governor who refused monies for Medicaid when there are so many in the state depending on it. I don't want to get into a political discussion. These are some of the things running through my head on how I can live in a frugal manner, with the security of knowing that the environment I choose wouldn't become a roadblock to survival.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
IMO, city/states won't be able to take care of retiree needs because there will be too many of us, with many cities and states already bankrupt and cutting services. We will need to depend on ourselves, friends, family, churches, etc. to meet these needs. Back to the future, like the 50s, where these needs were met that way, instead of by government agencies. I'm not even including Medicare and Medicaid in this forecast because who knows what will happen there???

Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM

79 posts, read 114,043 times
I remember the 50's, and would not choose to return to those years. I have worked for 40 years, taken care of myself and my family, paid into the system. Now I find myself, in retirement years, with family living abroad, knowing that friends are my own age and facing the same circumstances. I don't expect others to take care of me, but with old age ahead, it is inevitable at some point that I, as others, will need to depend on help. I don't think that saying the church, friends, family is going to be the answer is realistic.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazl View Post
I've been reading this thread too, enjoying the back and forth of posters and the many creative ways to live frugally in retirement.

One thing I've been thinking about in choosing a low cost place to retire, is what factors to consider outside of my likes/dislikes for climate, population, recreation, medical, etc. I'm wondering about things like whether a state or city is in serious debt. How that state or city will respond to the needs of retired people. Whether that state or city has the resources needed to support a growing retirement population. I'm thinking that maybe an area with a strong work force and good economy may be a plus, with low taxes and low priced homes/rentals. Maybe an equal voting mix of different political parties so it's not an all red or all blue area. Would these characteristics increase the likelihood of being able to live in that area with low income?

The number of states refusing government monies to help its' peoples, then cutting state services to those people has me concerned for long term security. I'm thinking of Arizona Governor who refused monies for Medicaid when there are so many in the state depending on it. I don't want to get into a political discussion. These are some of the things running through my head on how I can live in a frugal manner, with the security of knowing that the environment I choose wouldn't become a roadblock to survival.
Where do you live now and what kind of place would you like to move to in terms of climate, activities, etc?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:54 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazl View Post
... The number of states refusing government monies to help its' peoples, then cutting state services to those people has me concerned for long term security. I'm thinking of Arizona Governor who refused monies for Medicaid when there are so many in the state depending on it. I don't want to get into a political discussion. These are some of the things running through my head on how I can live in a frugal manner, with the security of knowing that the environment I choose wouldn't become a roadblock to survival.
We have seen a long term discussion about that here.

The Federal 'money' your talking about must be paired with matching money from the state.

The state must raise taxes to increase state revenue, so that the state can match funds. The state gets Federal money $1 for $1 matching as the state raises it's own taxes.

If a state is turning down $5million of Federal money that is because to get that $5million, it must raise it's own taxes by $5million.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
IMO, city/states won't be able to take care of retiree needs because there will be too many of us, with many cities and states already bankrupt and cutting services. We will need to depend on ourselves, friends, family, churches, etc. to meet these needs. Back to the future, like the 50s, where these needs were met that way, instead of by government agencies. I'm not even including Medicare and Medicaid in this forecast because who knows what will happen there???
I can't think of any areas that are not hard hit. Cities and towns are upping their property taxes. Car gas is climbing out of sight. I opted to move to another town close by so I could be near two of my grown kids and also give up my car if I have to (there is public transport and senior van in the town). I would not want to be an aging senior in the suburbs, no one would ever find me after a long New England winter (the isolation is tough too).

I think seniors generally need to live in town, unless they are committed to small scale farming or serious gardening. It is a burden on them as well as caregivers to live out in the suburbs or beyond. Doing that at age 75 or 80 may not be sustainable for many.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
I really have no concern about the problems in the future. I have lived on less for so long and had a frugal lifestyle that I am up to many challenges.

I have never had cable TV. Most TV is too stupid, too violent, too much T&A and many shows just too fast for my slow, old brain to follow the action. With the change over to digital, I recently bought one of these new flat antennas that have elements all around, so it is not necessary to adjust to get a good signal. I get 25 stations over the air, crystal clear. Digital transmissions allows stations to split their signal to give multiple stations, so that today we have more stations over the air. In Denver, we have two public TV stations and they are split into 3 ea. separate stations. So, I can get all the public broadcasting shows, which is what I mostly would watch. Still, most of the other shows are garbage. So, why pay for cable. How much TV do you need?? I grew up with only 2 stations initially and then 3, then 4 when I left home there were only 5 stations available. In addition, I get free movies and TV on the web, so why pay for cable.

I do realize that some people do not live near to the TV antenna to get a good signal or any signal. To get Digital TV signal, one must get a good signal--it is either good or nothing--it is not like the old analog. Here in Denver, our transmissions are mostly from Lookout Mountain, in the foothills of the Rockies--where Buffalo Bill is buried. So, if you live close enough to a signal, I would try the new antennas and dump your cable cost.

Antenna cost about 30 dollars for an amplified unit. I have the old TVs, so I need the converter boxes. I bet that the new digital TV work much better and you would receive HDTV, because there would be less signal loss through the box. Do not let anyone tell you, that you need satellite or cable to get High Definition--those signals are transmitted over the air from your local stations and can be picked up very nicely at 1080 resolution with these simple antennas. Of course, there are channels that are not over the air--but do you really need all those channels???

I still do not watch too much TV but I am pleasantly surprised how well these new antennas work and the amount of stations that are available. Save that money--you are going to need it for your gas tank!

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement