Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 PM

8,748 posts, read 9,440,097 times

Advertisements

Well with the price of everything doubling, I'm giving patio gardening a try. Nevermind I have a brown thumb. I started the tomatoes and peppers from seed, just a couple of weeks ago. I'm also growing some herbs and other flower plants from seed. This should be fun for a minute.
Attached Thumbnails
Retiring on a literal shoestring: support group-patio-lani-gardening.jpg   Retiring on a literal shoestring: support group-patio-lani-gardening1.jpg   Retiring on a literal shoestring: support group-patio-gardening3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 PM

419 posts, read 757,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Well with the price of everything doubling, I'm giving patio gardening a try. Nevermind I have a brown thumb. I started the tomatoes and peppers from seed, just a couple of weeks ago. I'm also growing some herbs and other flower plants from seed. This should be fun for a minute.
It looks like you have some happy plants growing from the seeds. I'm impressed. Look's like your brown thumb has turned green.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,903,529 times
Quote:
Excellent idea!

Chinese proverb: "He who plants a garden, plants happiness."

Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,093 times
I applied for Social Security this morning. My position at the school is being redone so the standardized test scores will go up. Twenty years and I am out the door. I am scared spitless. On the up side I have enough saved with SSI to hold out for 6 months at the same level I ma now without having to work. I think I will take so time to rewind. I am burned out.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,312,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfran49 View Post
I applied for Social Security this morning. My position at the school is being redone so the standardized test scores will go up. Twenty years and I am out the door. I am scared spitless. On the up side I have enough saved with SSI to hold out for 6 months at the same level I ma now without having to work. I think I will take so time to rewind. I am burned out.
Yeah.... I applied last week. They said I might have my first check in June. I resigned effect June 30 back JAN 3. Then in the past month they actually eliminated my position and are splitting it up between the other two elementary school counselors. But I'm ready to go: 33 years in public ed, 7 years in private ed, all in mental health services.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,999,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfran49 View Post
Excellent idea to give yourself time to calm down - no one is at their best when they are is a state of fear. I relate to the scared spitless feeling, trust me, you'll get over it. Keep believing in the "When one door closes another one opens~~~" theory. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,557,601 times
johnfran49, you are aware that when one is receiving monthly social security one is allowed to make only around $14,000 per year income from a job?

If you make over $14,000 or so from a job while receiving monthly social security, they started deducting $1.00 for every $2.00 you make over the $14,000

Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,937,686 times
Quote:
Nice! You can also buy tomato plants that hang from rafters or beam, etc.
I got lots from those!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM

8,748 posts, read 9,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Nice! You can also buy tomato plants that hang from rafters or beam, etc.
I got lots from those!
That sounds great, I bet you have a beautiful set up. I don't have a much of a space to hang more than two or three plants, but, I was thinking of making a couple of upside down hanging tomato and pepper plants from some of the seeidng growths. I'm also experimenting with self watering systems via wicking. Just in case I go away for a few days or so, even though, should I go away for a little while, we have people that will come in and water our plants at my complex, I much rather have self sustaining plants. The self watering would be good just in case when I am home, I find myself in one of those debilitated states, my little patio garden will still drink till their hearts are content.

I'm probably being way too ambitious with the self watering system, I'll let you know if my plants survive my good intentions. Any bets they'll live another two weeks. I probably should have left well enough alone.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,396,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
johnfran49, you are aware that when one is receiving monthly social security one is allowed to make only around $14,000 per year income from a job?

If you make over $14,000 or so from a job while receiving monthly social security, they started deducting $1.00 for every $2.00 you make over the $14,000
$14,160.

Once you reach your full retirement age (whether it be 65, 66, or 67), you can earn as much as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement