Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 04:24 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
s

Well at least you have the right reference book! How many people know that??

Here's a test--for 100 points, what's wrong with this sentence?

Running down the street, the man's hat flew off.
Right reference book?? that depends who you ask. There is that Modern Language one, or the New York Times, or some other this or that. The government even has its own style book and some corporations have their own.

The sentence structure makes the "hat" the noun that performs the action of the gerund "running", when the man is actually performing the action. You could restructure and say:

Running down the street, the man had his hat fall off.

The hat flew off the man, when he was running down the street.

Eh, just a quick thought. What do I know? Teacher.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Right reference book?? that depends who you ask. There is that Modern Language one, or the New York Times, or some other this or that. The government even has its own style book and some corporations have their own.

The sentence structure makes the "hat" the noun that performs the action of the gerund "running", when the man is actually performing the action. You could restructure and say:

Running down the street, the man had his hat fall off.

The hat flew off the man, when he was running down the street.

Eh, just a quick thought. What do I know? Teacher.

Livecontent
Ha, I'm still on the board--it's 100+degrees at 6:30 p.m. and after a dark beer I'm a bit punchy...how about this--

As he was running down the street, the man's hat flew away.

Chicago Manual of Style is the standard for the general writing industry, favored by editors even when they're forced to use another stye. APA (American Psychological Assn) Manual and MLA (Modern Language Assn) Manual are specific to certain publishers for educational/academic books. Associated Press (AP Manual) is specific to journalism (newspapers and other media). All slightly different in their rules.

Then there are "house styles" - styles that are subjective to the publisher.

And then there is "no style" - which I'm appreciating more and more, as long as I can make out the words

All good!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
One of my favorite examples of the importance of punctuation (in this case, commas) is this:

"Eat shoots and leaves": this describes a panda's culinary habits

"Eats, shoots, and leaves": this describes a murder.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Ha, I'm still on the board--it's 100+degrees at 6:30 p.m. and after a dark beer I'm a bit punchy...how about this--

As he was running down the street, the man's hat flew away.

Chicago Manual of Style is the standard for the general writing industry, favored by editors even when they're forced to use another stye. APA (American Psychological Assn) Manual and MLA (Modern Language Assn) Manual are specific to certain publishers for educational/academic books. Associated Press (AP Manual) is specific to journalism (newspapers and other media). All slightly different in their rules.

Then there are "house styles" - styles that are subjective to the publisher.

And then there is "no style" - which I'm appreciating more and more, as long as I can make out the words

All good!
Well, do I get a silver star for my effort.

You have to move to Denver, It has been very comfortable and it got to 93 today but did not feel that hot--it is dry with a slight breeze. Now at 6:30 it is at about low 80s, clear sunny skies, low humidity and very pleasant. Tonight it will drop to the 60s with low humidity. So, sleepy will be very comfortable. I do not have A/C and I do not need it. I have not even used any fans, this summer because of a well insulated house with new energy efficient windows.

We have been having more rain than usual. Generally, we get a small shower in the late PM, in July which cools everything down. This summer it as been longer and more torrential in the last few weeks. Vegetation is more green than usual. Creeks and reservoirs are full.

All these people want to move to Denver. Where the jobs are, that is the question.

Livecontent

Old 07-22-2011, 01:00 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
[quote=livecontent;20121420]Well, do I get a silver star for my effort.

You have to move to Denver, It has been very comfortable and it got to 93 today but did not feel that hot--it is dry with a slight breeze. Now at 6:30 it is at about low 80s, clear sunny skies, low humidity and very pleasant. Tonight it will drop to the 60s with low humidity. So, sleepy will be very comfortable. I do not have A/C and I do not need it. I have not even used any fans, this summer because of a well insulated house with new energy efficient windows.

We have been having more rain than usual. Generally, we get a small shower in the late PM, in July which cools everything down. This summer it as been longer and more torrential in the last few weeks. Vegetation is more green than usual. Creeks and reservoirs are full.

All these people want to move to Denver. Where the jobs are, that is the question.

Livecontent[/QUOTE
The Drnver area is looking better for retirement all the time. I long for low humidity!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,680 times
[quote=popcorn247;20125133]
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Well, do I get a silver star for my effort.

Livecontent[/QUOTE
The Drnver area is looking better for retirement all the time. I long for low humidity!
What are the winters like in Denver? Temp. and snowfall? Thanks.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:57 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
[quote=Jim Mac;20131577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post

What are the winters like in Denver? Temp. and snowfall? Thanks.
And what is the average relative humidity, summer and winter?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM

I do not get into weather and I do understand all the terms. Denver weather is best described, if you want numbers, by the CityData webpage on Denver http://www.city-data.com/city/Denver-Colorado.html. Look at the charts for humidity, prescipitition, snowfall and humidity.

I will speak generally as someone who has grown up near Buffalo. The snow is much less, most of the time, with some heavy blizzards. Snow melts quickly and there are many sunny days. It is not uncommon to get 70 degrees in the winter and the next day, it will snow.

Humidity feels very low in all seasons, so summers feel cooler and winters feel warmer. 40 degrees is very cold in Buffalo but in Denver it feels much warmer. 90 degrees days in the summer, just do not feel as hot. There are summer days when there are frequent afternoon showers in July that cool the air a little but do increase humdity. The best seasons are the fall, September and October, with little rain and rare snow but not hot and not yet cold.

However, I have stated on the Colorado forum that I believe that the micro climate is changing in the Denver area:

"Denver is known as dry with low humidity but with this areas micro climate has changed because more trees have been planted; more water evaporating grasses and landscaping for businesses and public spaces; more people have water sucking landscaping which they water everyday; more reservoirs have been created to serve a bigger population that trap water locally and more people and their animal pets give off moisture. All this extra water goes into creating higher local humidity with more plants that causes more allergies."

How big these changes are and how long does it need to be before we feel the effect, I have no idea; but Denver is no longer the West of of a sparse population sitting on only semi-arid high grass land; it is a west of a large urban mass of people that has changed the land with more moisture and vegetation.

Livecontent

Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
If you can move Denver a little closer to the sea, I'll be there in a jiffy.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
If you can move Denver a little closer to the sea, I'll be there in a jiffy.
I thought about the issue of living near water and the ocean many times. I grew up near the Great Lakes. I was stationed in the Army at Monterey, CA. I went to school along the Hudson. I lived in NYC. I worked near Baltimore. All near water.

But I have come to a different idea which with more water, there is more severe weather and more humidity. Of course, Denver has its share of severe weather but definitely lower humidity. I think I have come to the idea that perhaps a desert location would be the best for me--little water, little severe weather and no humidity.

Today, with my health problems and if I had the energy and the drive, which I do not. I would relocate to much drier area. Perhaps a high desert area like Las Cruces or near Albuquerque. In addition, I was sort of impressed by San Angelo, Texas in West Texas. I was stationed at an Air Base in the Army, for a short period in the summer of ....ah, I can't remember, many decades ago. It was dry and did not have the humidity as you went east in Texas. I know that because I lived in Dallas/Ft. Worth. As I have looked into San Angelo in recent years, it has good services for a smaller city.

Ah, but these are only Pipe Dreams because I firmly believe also in a establishment of a comfortable familiarity of place. It take time to built that relationship with a place and I do not have the time left. For whatever Denver is or is not; it is my place of comfort and familarity. I have been here for over 32 years and Denver is my home.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement