Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 PM

230 posts, read 408,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKKUNNUI View Post
In Florida I was very poor. I also have Tri-Care for Life, a real blessing. I have many friends who retired to Philippines and here in Thailand who make less than $1000 a month on Social Security and they do well. Most of them must travel back to USA for major medical problems since SS does not cover outside USA. It works - it just takes a little fore thought and planing.

This is very interesting... kind of opens my eyes. One of the reasons I have always dismissed living outside the country is the quality of health care. Do you have good quality healthcare for every day type things? Major medical problems unfortunately become more common as we age. I can only hope to be so lucky as to not have to deal with such a diagnosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 19,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
This is very interesting... kind of opens my eyes. One of the reasons I have always dismissed living outside the country is the quality of health care. Do you have good quality health care for every day type things? Major medical problems unfortunately become more common as we age. I can only hope to be so lucky as to not have to deal with such a diagnosis.

Health care in Thailand is as good or better than in the U.S. Most of these doctors trained in the U.S. anyway. Cost of health care is much cheaper here dollar wise. The problem being is that you must have insurance coverage or pay cash up front. The Philippines is right up there with Thailand on good care. Some of the best doctors I know are Filipinos and they too trained in the U. S. I don't know about the rest of the world but just look at the amount doctors training in the U.S. that are not Americans. I think the U.S. must train most of the doctors in the world. For dental work the Philippines is tops. I am 73 years old and have lived in Asia since 1996 and have no problems with these doctors.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:17 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that this thread titled "Retiring on a literal shoestring" is actually about retiring on a figurative shoestring?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that this thread titled "Retiring on a literal shoestring" is actually about retiring on a figurative shoestring?
Since I understood what the OP meant to say and did not think the choice of word would make any difference in the conversation, I concluded to myself that correction is not exactly a tactful thing to do.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I'm not trying to correct anybody, I just love irony. And that being said I'm not so good at tactful. My deepest apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my comments.

It's just that "literal" is one of those words that really isn't taken literally anymore, so I couldn't resist.

"I literally messed my pants when I saw that train coming!"
"Really? You messed your pants?"
"Well, no...."

To keep from completely hijacking this thread, I am way behind on my retirement savings and I hold out no hope that social security will be around when I retire, so I expect to retire on a shoestring myself. A figurative one. I will probably have to wear loafers because I won't have enough money to buy literal shoestrings.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
We covered that ages ago, you missed it. I am a professional editor and I do know the difference between literal and figurative. I deliberately chose "literal" when I named the thread, using "writers' license" to emphasize "literal" to mean "really, no kidding, folks--a real shoestring" to distinguish between actual shoestringers and those with retirement security and lots of assets or trust funds who "live cheap" out of choice rather than necessity. I stand by my title, Retiring on a LITERAL (read: real, no kidding) Shoestring.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Now that this has been discussed again, we can get back to the topic. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Thanks, Mod, for keeping us on track!

I suspect that a number of readers would like comments about how to keep healthcare costs down--any ideas welcome.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks, Mod, for keeping us on track!

I suspect that a number of readers would like comments about how to keep healthcare costs down--any ideas welcome.
The best way to keep individual health cost down is to die quickly and suddenly. If you die slowly, you and your estate will incur tremendous cost just to keep you alive and in many cases suffer. It will also save healthcare expenses for everyone. The biggest cost of healthcare is to keeep the elderly alive when they have incurable severe chronic illnesses and they are in pain.

If one has lived a full live and got to a advanced age, then it is not sad to see one die quickly. Some of us have been in the situation where we had to make to decisions to end the life of our parents and love ones. It is obviously extremely sad when a young person or a child dies and those decisions are much more difficult. What I am talking about is those in advanced years who have reached a time where there is no quality of life, other than suffering, pain and expenses that only prolong the agony.

I hope everyday that I will go to sleep and never wake up. Yes, I am in chronic everyday pain but I am not ready to die, not today but maybe tomorrow. I am saying when my age and chronic conditions come together where there is no quality of life--let me die quickly. I do not want to use limited resources to prolong my life, when these resources can be used to help people who are younger and children; in addition to have more funds to do research to cure many diseases.

Livecontent

Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The best way to keep individual health cost down is to die quickly and suddenly.
LC must be in a negative frame of mind today.

Keep healthcare costs low by taking good care of yourself - eat in a way that is health supporting for you, exercise, sleep enough, reduce stress, don't smoke, drink very little if at all, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement