Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 11:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Here are a few before and after. we still need to do the backyard patio and the front will be minus the mint green rock soon.

Attachment 88031 Pepto Bismo Pink

Attachment 88032

Attachment 88033 We just completed our retro front door but it did not come out very well.

Attachment 88034 We added 4 feet to the living room and then popped out two wings one for master bedroom (shown)and bath and the opposite side of the patio is our office.
Wow, nice pics, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
I would like to return to Arizona and buy a home in Sun City in 2012. Sure hope I can make that happen.
What are property taxes like there?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Here in the III Phase of the original Sun City, we paid $400 (taxes) for the home before the remodel. The square footage of the original plan was 1,300 +, -. With the additional 500 square feet we added to bring it up to 1,800 +, -, the taxes this year were $715 for the year. There are so many different floor plans that Del Webb offered back in 1960, I don't know how the builders kept up with them. The HOA is $40 a month and there is the $3,000 buy in but with the tax base being so low here, we felt it was a good choice for us.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Motley, thank you for sharing your photos. You have a lovely home. Great bones even if it is pink. I am sure you will change the color in time. I too love the mid century homes. So many people complain about HOAs, but it is the HOAs, volunteers and the caliber of people who have kept Sun City looking as pristine as it did 50 years ago.

I would like to return to Arizona and buy a home in Sun City in 2012. Sure hope I can make that happen.
You are most welcome. We did repaint it a mud color (as the neighbor put it) along the lines of a grey/olive/brown. Pink did not float my boat, lol. I hope you make it back to Sun City and let us know when that happens. I am not a realtor, but would be happy to send you any interesting places we run across. We love going to the open houses here and thinking what we would do to them.
There is a great book called Palm Springs Modern and some of these homes are spotted in Palm Springs, so I suspect that is some on Del Webbs inspiration. This to me has a southern CA Palm Springs feel but lacking the high end stores and restaurants.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:06 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Motley - love your house - perfect size. You are tempting me - guess I need 4 seasons, but this is too cute.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
Love your house, MotleyCrew. The colour does not look pink, if the pic shows the true colour IRL. It's more like a rosy-beige egg foam. Very attractive home.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Very, very nice house, Motley! There is something elegant and tasteful about it's clean lines and architectural simplicity and symmetry. Myself, living in a crumbling old dump (120 years old! - see post #2863), I must confess I feel a bit of jealousy.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Very, very nice house, Motley! There is something elegant and tasteful about it's clean lines and architectural simplicity and symmetry. Myself, living in a crumbling old dump (120 years old! - see post #2863), I must confess I feel a bit of jealousy.
You have a diamond in the rough and sounds like a project for the future. I love old houses. Enjoy your house. I left my jealous side back in the uber luxury development and have not looked back.

To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying "Amen" to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to keep your soul alive. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 PM

419 posts, read 758,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
You are most welcome. We did repaint it a mud color (as the neighbor put it) along the lines of a grey/olive/brown. Pink did not float my boat, lol. I hope you make it back to Sun City and let us know when that happens. I am not a realtor, but would be happy to send you any interesting places we run across. We love going to the open houses here and thinking what we would do to them.
There is a great book called Palm Springs Modern and some of these homes are spotted in Palm Springs, so I suspect that is some on Del Webbs inspiration. This to me has a southern CA Palm Springs feel but lacking the high end stores and restaurants.
Thank you for your kind offer to send me info on various listings. As you can imagine, it is very daunting to attempt to purchase a home from afar. I just can't be constantly jumping on a plane to physically look at homes. So, any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I will DM you soon with information on my wants & needs regarding a home. Just maybe you will spy the perfect home for me as you attend the open houses.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your kind offer to send me info on various listings. As you can imagine, it is very daunting to attempt to purchase a home from afar. I just can't be constantly jumping on a plane to physically look at homes. So, any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I will DM you soon with information on my wants & needs regarding a home. Just maybe you will spy the perfect home for me as you attend the open houses.
I understand not wanting to jump on planes. We made many trips back and forth and it was too expensive and exhausting. When you are ready, I would be happy to let you know what pops up in the neighborhood and send you their flyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement